[comp.sys.amiga] 24-bit, Real time frame grabber

steve@cpoint.UUCP (Stephen Steir) (02/27/90)

This is NOT a product annoucement!

Enhancement Systems, a division of Clearpoint, has developed a turn key
imaging system for the hair and beauty industry built around an A2000.  Since
nothing existed, we designed our own 24 bit real time digitizer to these specs:

	512 x 512 pixel resolution.
	2,4,8x hardware zoom register.
	horozontal and vertical pan registers.
	genlock register for Amiga only output, digitizer only output or
		Amiga output overlayed on top of digitizer output.
	live image mode.
	frame capture at 1/30 sec (two fields captured at 1/60 sec each).
	auto configures on Amiga bus.
	RGB input only on 9 pin D-sub!
	RGB output only on 9 pin D-sub!
	digitizer supplies external sync for camera.

This is a basic board for our system with basic display and capture software!
I would like to convince my compnay to provide it as a stand alone product
for the Amiga community but they would like me to prove that a market exists.
My question is, would anyone purchase this board as is or would other mods be
necessary?  If modifications are required, what do you folks want?  Please
be reasonable with answers to this last question since I can't justify a
product that would need years of hardware modifications before going to market.
Please don't ask about price or availability since neither has been determined.

Steve Steir - Clearpoint Research Corp., 35 Parkwood Dr., Hopkinton, Ma. 01748
UUCP: steve@frog!cpoint		ATT: (508) 435-2000	       BIX: clearpoint

marc@cbmvax.commodore.com (Marc Rifkin - CATS) (02/28/90)

... that board look suspiciously alot like a Targa.  If it is a bundled
package, then it probably is.

Marc Rifkin
Address not expressable in 3 dimensions
--
Marc Rifkin -- C. A. T. S.
{uunet|allegra|rutgers}!cbmvax!marc

steve@cpoint.UUCP (Stephen Steir) (03/02/90)

In article <9869@cbmvax.commodore.com> marc@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Marc Rifkin - CATS) writes:
>... that board look suspiciously alot like a Targa.  If it is a bundled
>package, then it probably is.
>
>Marc Rifkin
>Address not expressable in 3 dimensions
>--
>Marc Rifkin -- C. A. T. S.
>{uunet|allegra|rutgers}!cbmvax!marc
>"...Them bats is smart, they use radar."

Marc,
You almost hit the nail on the head but instead you got your thumb. ;-)
The original development of our product started about the same time as
the first Live! ad.  Since there were no 24 bit digitizers back then,
we bought a few Targa-24's and built an address decoder to bridge the
PC/Amiga busses.  The software talked to the Targa board until our
hardware product was ready.  In order to save time, the software
design and hardware design had to be run in paralell (sp?) so our Amiga
board had similar specs to the Targa product in addition to some other
features we needed like Amiga video overlayed on our graphic output.

bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) (03/06/90)

> Marc,
> You almost hit the nail on the head but instead you got your thumb. ;-)
> The original development of our product started about the same time as
> the first Live! ad.  Since there were no 24 bit digitizers back then,
> we bought a few Targa-24's and built an address decoder to bridge the
> PC/Amiga busses.  The software talked to the Targa board until our
> hardware product was ready.  In order to save time, the software
> design and hardware design had to be run in paralell (sp?) so our Amiga
> board had similar specs to the Targa product in addition to some other
> features we needed like Amiga video overlayed on our graphic output.
>
> Steve Steir - Clearpoint Research Corp., 35 Parkwood Dr., Hopkinton, Ma. 01748
Hmm..now if only your product followed the TARGA calls and registers, we would
be able to port over all the C code for the IBM TARGA's to the Amiga and have
a REAL frame grabber!

Is your board register compatible with the TARGA products?

-- Bob
_______________________ Pro-Graphics BBS  201/469-0049 ________________________

InterNet: bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com          |       ProLine: bobl@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl          |        CServe: 70347,2344
ARPA/DDN: ..crash!pro-graphics!bobl@nosc.mil |  Amer. Online: Graphics3D
___________                                                        ____________
            Raven Enterprises - 25 Raven Ave. Piscataway, NJ 08854

steve@cpoint.UUCP (Stephen Steir) (03/08/90)

In article <1747@crash.cts.com> bobl@pro-graphics.cts.com (Bob Lindabury) writes:
>Hmm..now if only your product followed the TARGA calls and registers, we would
>be able to port over all the C code for the IBM TARGA's to the Amiga and have
>a REAL frame grabber!
>
>Is your board register compatible with the TARGA products?

Sorry Bob, but they're not.  We only implemented what we needed which were
bare minimums.  The reason for my initial post was to get an idea of what
people wanted in a "real" product and to guage how much interest there was.
It seems that the interest level is high for a frame grabber of 24 bit
quality.  All I have to do now is get some of the important features added
to the board like overscan support.

Thanks to everyone who has sent me suggestions for features.  The more
comments and yes votes I get, the faster I can get a product to market.  My
company is still a bit timid about releasing to an "unknown market", so keep
those electronic cards and letters coming! ;-)