[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga needs a good music

john.coldrick@canremote.uucp (JOHN COLDRICK) (02/13/90)

Just a thought on those open comments to EA for upgrading their DMCS
program.  I agree that it would be very nice to get an upgrade to this
ancient old prgram - but a lot of the options you were mentioning are
quite sophisticated(read expensive).  When you say that it should be
able to read MIDI in real time - well, now you're talking a sequencer.
There are already several programs on the market that can do most, if
not all the functions that you described, but they are high end music
programs.  For EA to dive into that already established market would be
an expensive proposition.  The only high end, non-ported sequencer on
the Amiga market currently is Music-X - and look how long that took!
  I perceive DMCS as a low end home use program.  I don't know if EA has
officially dropped it or not - that would be a shame since it's such a
common program.  It should be de-bugged, spiffed up a bit, etc; but I
think it would be better for someone to start from scratch if they were
to do something with the power you describe.  And you better be prepared
to spend several hundred!

  J.C.
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.2aR

jer@stiatl.UUCP (John Ramspott) (03/08/90)

In article <90030707485723@masnet.uucp> john.coldrick@canremote.uucp (JOHN COLDRICK) writes:
>programs.  For EA to dive into that already established market would be
>an expensive proposition.  The only high end, non-ported sequencer on
>the Amiga market currently is Music-X - and look how long that took!
>  I perceive DMCS as a low end home use program.  I don't know if EA has
>officially dropped it or not - that would be a shame since it's such a
>common program.  It should be de-bugged, spiffed up a bit, etc; but I

While I agree that it would not be wise for EA to dive into sequencers, my
reasoning is different. There is another non-ported, high-end sequencer that
is really awesome -- much better than Music-X. The program is called
Bars & Pipes, from the Blue Ribbon Bakery. Phone is (404)377-1514.
  It is powerful and VERY friendly, with a lot of flexibility. I have never
felt freer to create before, and experiment with no cost. If you want to
hear a track quantized, you put the quantize tool in the output stream,
and play with the parameters until it sounds right, or remove it altogether.
If you like it, you can "toolize" the track to make it permament.
 I do hope there is an upgrade to DMCS soon. It is really the only decent
note editor with playback capability. Copyist from Dr.T's is copy-protected,
does not play back music, and has ridiculous artificial limitations for
how long a score can be. DMCS is not that low end. When BRB finishes the
DMCS conversion module, it will make a great combo, and downright awesome
with a DMCS upgrade.

--John E. Ramspott
--
John Ramspott						gatech!stiatl!jer