[comp.sys.amiga] HP LaserJet Series Request

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (03/06/90)

Net--

I have a new HP LasetJet IIP hooked to my Amiga.

My request is as follows, are there any PD, or commercial
font packages intended for the HP Laser printers
(ie. written in PCL ) which can download to the LaserJets?

The 1.3 Driver works great as far as I can tell but down-
loadable font support would be nice.

|------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|                    -Mr. Spock

In article <19439@grebyn.com> allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) writes:
>I have a new HP LasetJet IIP hooked to my Amiga.
>My request is as follows, are there any PD, or commercial
>font packages intended for the HP Laser printers
>(ie. written in PCL ) which can download to the LaserJets?
>The 1.3 Driver works great as far as I can tell but down-
>loadable font support would be nice.

Before going out of business, CLtd had a set of utilities for Laserjets:

JetSet Laserjet Command Set -- talk to the LJ from CLI

Jetset Fonts -- Fonts and download software.

You might find some dealers or mail order houses with old copies of it.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

bbaker@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Baker - Product Assurance) (03/06/90)

In article <19439@grebyn.com> allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) writes:

> I have a new HP LasetJet IIP hooked to my Amiga.
>
> My request is as follows, are there any PD, or commercial
> font packages intended for the HP Laser printers
> (ie. written in PCL ) which can download to the LaserJets?
>
> The 1.3 Driver works great as far as I can tell but down-
> loadable font support would be nice.

If you have a bridgeboard (or have access to a system with one) you can
transfer soft font files from the MS-DOS world to the Amiga and download
those files to the printer very easily. JetSet from C Ltd works great
for this. There are tons of PD soft fonts around in the MS-DOS world
too.

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (03/07/90)

In article <10015@cbmvax.commodore.com>, bbaker@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Baker - Product Assurance) writes:

> If you have a bridgeboard (or have access to a system with one) you can
> transfer soft font files from the MS-DOS world to the Amiga and download
> those files to the printer very easily. JetSet from C Ltd works great
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> for this. There are tons of PD soft fonts around in the MS-DOS world
> too.

Assuming I can find it, does JetSet require a bridgeboard to download
the fonts, or is it completely Amiga-specific.

While I'm asking, does JetSet provide both the downloadable font and an
appropriate screen font for my wordprocessor?

Thanks.

  --Allen
|------------------------------------------|

--
|------------------------------------------|

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (03/08/90)

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) writes:

>While I'm asking, does JetSet provide both the downloadable font and an
>appropriate screen font for my wordprocessor?

This is not exactly related to your question but I was looking at the
specifications for the new LaserJet III printer and I noticed mention
of support for AGFA Compugraphic's Intellifont font scaling and hinted
outline technology (sound familiar?).  They are also announcing an
extension to their printer control language which not only includes
the above Intellifont support but also integrates their grahics language
plotter file standard.  There are some VERY interesting things happening
this year!

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

bbaker@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bob Baker - Product Assurance) (03/08/90)

In article <19443@grebyn.com> allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) writes:
> Assuming I can find it, does JetSet require a bridgeboard to download
> the fonts, or is it completely Amiga-specific.

No, JetSet runs entirely on the Amiga and is Amiga specific. It comes
with a limited set of fonts for the printer as well, and they originally
sold a full line of companion fonts. You might try someone like Briwall,
they may still have a copy in stock.

On the other hand, a few of the wordprocessing packages do include
screen and printer fonts if you check around.

> While I'm asking, does JetSet provide both the downloadable font and an
> appropriate screen font for my wordprocessor?

Unfortunately the fonts are strickly for the printer but there was
another utility around that would allow converting screen and printer
fonts to support both. Just don't remember the specifics, sorry.