[comp.sys.amiga] PerfectSound3.0 vs AudioMaster II ?

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (02/26/90)

I'm thinking about updating my sound sampling environment and am curious about
others opinions about current samplers/software. I have the orginal Perfect
Sound sampler and have used AudioMaster I once (it was a friends). How does the
new PerfectSound3.0 compare with keeping the orginal PSound and getting
AudioMaster II. Price doesn't look any different for either. How about opinions
on other hardware/software? It sounds like the AudioMaster II isn't compatable
with the PerfectSound3.0 hardware, although the file formats are the same,
true? Or should I just buy a Mirage and forget about going back to school?

						    Thanks,

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/28/90)

Perfect Sound 3.0 offers many new features:

	1) software controlled gain
	2) software controlled sampling rates
	3) better noise characteristics

It is a smaller package with stereo inputs and a mic input.  Due to the
first two points Audiomaster II does not work with it - I know because
I tried it.  A note that comes with PS 3.0 notes the problem and says
that Oxxi (now the owner of Audiomaster) has promised an upgrade.

This is unfortunate because the Audiomaster software is more familiar to me
and it offers a higher sampling rate in stereo 22kHz.  The new Perfect Sound
software is a lot better and could possibly replace Audiomaster in features,
but it cannot play samples at 44kHz although it can record them.  Audiomaster
is able to play the samples at 44kHz, although the PS manual states that
the Amiga can only playback at a maximum rate of 28kHz.

I hope that this has been of some help.

Brian Yamanaka
bty00298@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) (02/28/90)

I am an owner of Perfect Sound V1.0 software and hardware, and a registered
user.  Isn't there some kind of upgrade plan?  I thought that there would be
at least a notice, if not a free software upgrade, but I've received nothing.
Does this mean that they've left us out in the cold?

.                              <<<<Infinite K>>>>

BTW:  I use my PSound 1.0 software much more than Audiomaster; most of what
I do is cut 'n' paste and PSound having more samples displayable onscreen at
once is easier to use for that kind of work.  The only thing Audiomaster is
useful for for me is changing the sampling rate of a sound w/o changing pitch.

gerry@pencilbox.uucp (Gerry Lachac) (03/01/90)

In article <3343@pikes.Colorado.EDU> bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) writes:
>I am an owner of Perfect Sound V1.0 software and hardware, and a registered
>user.  Isn't there some kind of upgrade plan?  I thought that there would be
>at least a notice, if not a free software upgrade, but I've received nothing.
>Does this mean that they've left us out in the cold?

For everyone wondering if there is an upgrade:

I got my notice a month or two ago. (Of course, I still haven't sent
for my upgrade yet :-)

There are various levels of upgade, just software or both software and
hardware.  I was planning on getting both the software and hardware
upgrade.  This requires sending in the orginal disk AND hardware, plus
$40.

If you haven't received an upgrade notice, I would contact the
company.

uunet!dialogic!gerry   | "Even a dead plant turns  |	Dialogic Corporation
	OR	       |  over a new leaf 	   |	300 Littleton Rd
gerry@dialogic.UUCP    |  when the wind blows."	   |	Parsippany, NJ 07054

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (03/02/90)

In article <3343@pikes.Colorado.EDU>, bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) writes:
> I am an owner of Perfect Sound V1.0 software and hardware, and a registered
> user.  Isn't there some kind of upgrade plan?  I thought that there would be
> at least a notice, if not a free software upgrade, but I've received nothing.
> Does this mean that they've left us out in the cold?

I never did register my Perfect SoundV1.0 but asked a couple of people about
possible upgrade. I got the impression that since it was mainly hardware, there
would not be an upgrade plan.

Thanks for your responce on my orginal message. Was starting to wonder if it
got out on the net.

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh
mfigg@dsacg2.dsac.dla.mil      CIS:  73777,360

gdunlap@csuchico.edu (Gregory L. Dunlap) (03/08/90)

     I greatly prefer the Audiomaster software over the software that comes
with PSound 3.0; A friend of mine bought the new PSound and the software is
buggier than a hornet's nest!  It locked up the machine more times than we
could count. When we tried to sample at over ~32Khz it would only grab
TWO BYTES, then return to the editor; we've never been able to get it any
higher. I REALLY wish Audiomaster worked (and I'm talking about the OLD
version of Audiomaster; I don't have Audiomaster II).
     I think the worst thing about the new PSound is the software-controlled
gain control.  I hate having to wait for the software to autoset the gain, and
setting it with the arrow keys sucks because the only feedback you get from
the program is that slow graph of the waveform. If you go too high, it "wraps-
around" back to the bottom! Argh!
     I have the older version of PSound and like it MUCH better. Even though
it doesn't sample as fast, we havent been able to get anything that sounded
any better out of the new one anyway. And I LIKE the manual gain control. I've
never had any problem with reaching over and turning the knob, and once I get
a good setting I can leave it there and don't have to worry about it again.
     I never cared much for the PSound software I got with my digitizer, but
at least it didn't crash all the time. I LOVED the fact that it came with the
source code, allowing you to write your own programs to play with the digitizer.
You can't do that with the current version; no source, and it's a mystery to me
how you control the thing. I wish they had just upgraded the old software and
got rid of all the extra software control. Hopefully the new Audiomaster will
be out soon.
    Well, thanks for listening to my ranting. If ANYBODY knows how to read
samples off the new PSound could you please send me some EMail? Thanks.

              Greg Dunlap, CSUChico

portuesi@tweezers.esd.sgi.com (Michael Portuesi) (03/08/90)

> The software is very flakey when running on a 65020!

Is this the 32-bit version of the 6502?

				--M
--
__
\/ Michael Portuesi / Silicon Graphics, Inc. / portuesi@sgi.com

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (03/09/90)

In article <1990Mar07.201057.5272@csuchico.edu> gdunlap@cscihp.UUCP (Gregory L. Dunlap) writes:

>     I greatly prefer the Audiomaster software over the software that comes
>with PSound 3.0; A friend of mine bought the new PSound and the software is
>buggier than a hornet's nest!  It locked up the machine more times than we
>could count. When we tried to sample at over ~32Khz it would only grab
>TWO BYTES, then return to the editor; we've never been able to get it any
>higher.

I called SunRize Industries about this. They said that this problem
 is due to the hardware. They originally thought it would sample up
 to 40K, but it turned out that the maximum rate is 32541.

Future releases of the software will only allow the slider to go that
high.

>     I think the worst thing about the new PSound is the software-controlled
>gain control.  I hate having to wait for the software to autoset the gain, and
>setting it with the arrow keys sucks because the only feedback you get from
>the program is that slow graph of the waveform. If you go too high, it "wraps-
>around" back to the bottom! Argh!

I hardly ever have to adjust the gain. The "autoset" works fine for
me.

>     I never cared much for the PSound software I got with my digitizer, but
>at least it didn't crash all the time.

Call them up and ask for Version 3.02 (It's free). I had problems with
3.0 crashing and/or hanging, but 3.2 seems very stable.

>I LOVED the fact that it came with the
>source code, allowing you to write your own programs to play with the digitizer.
>You can't do that with the current version; no source, and it's a mystery to me
>how you control the thing. I wish they had just upgraded the old software and
>got rid of all the extra software control. Hopefully the new Audiomaster will
>be out soon.
>
>    Well, thanks for listening to my ranting. If ANYBODY knows how to read
>samples off the new PSound could you please send me some EMail? Thanks.

I asked them about this. They will give you tech info on accessing the
digitizer, but you have to sign a boat-load of nondisclosure forms
first!

>              Greg Dunlap, CSUChico

Now, after defending SunRize (a bit), it's time to bitch.

The software is very flakey when running on a 65020!

I asked them about this, and they said that they should have that problem
fixed "in a few months". They didn't sound very commited to do this, if
you ask me.

If you have problems, questions, or complaints, give SunRize a call at:

(409)-846-1311

--
"This ain't Rock 'N Roll, |  These be my words, not my employer's!
 this is Genocide!"       |Dave Lowrey - Amdahl Corp. - Houston, TX