[comp.sys.amiga] Multisync Monitors

David.Slonosky@QueensU.CA (05/24/89)

I'm interested in buying a multisync monitor as part of an
upcoming Amiga 500 system purchase and would like to know
what ones would be reasonable to buy for compatibility with
the new chip set. And I am a poverty-stricken grad student,
so price -is- an object. :-)

David Slonosky/QueensU/CA,"",CA    "It was then that I realised that scientists
SLONOSKY@QUCDN                      could have a social life as well."
                                    J. Watson, "The Double Helix" (not exact)

protcoop@leibniz.uucp (05/27/89)

Hi, I am about to purchase a second hand Amiga 2000
(yes Mark, that's you :-) and I am looking for a
multisync monitor for it.  I have phoned around to a
number of different places and have encountered good
prices on 3 different monitors.  They are:
	 NEC multisync II
	 Tatung  CM 1495
	 TTX multiscan
Has anyone had any experience with any of these
monitors?  If so, could you let me know what you
think?  Also, could you tell me how to hook it up to
the Amiga (technical part for comp.sys.amiga.tech :-)
Finally, if anyone has a second hand multisync they
want to sell, give me a call.
(613) 727-3847 (home)
(613) 763-8980 (work)

Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

protcoop@leibniz.uucp (05/27/89)

Hi, sorry about this folks, but in that last posting
about multisync monitors I forgot to mention the
Packard-Bell MS8530 monitor.  If anyone has any experience
with this could they please let me know.  Is it any good?

Alan W. McKay  |  My opinions are mine, yours are yours. |  Eat Food  |
NEPEAN, Ont.   |  I in no way pretend to represent the   |     and    |
613-763-8980   |  the options of my employer.  So there. |   LIVE !!  |

mikef@hpspdra.HP.COM (Mike Fischer) (05/30/89)

You didn't mention the multisync monitor that I have seen that makes
all the others look like out-of-date technology: Zenith ZCM-1490
flat screen 14 inch.  The only area in which it didn't beat all others
I've seen was brightness.  In a brightly lighted environment (near
huge windows with clear-sky noon sun outside) it needed to be run
with the brightness control all the way up, and was a little dim
for some art, but ok for text.  Even under those conditions its lack
of glare was astounding.

I'm looking at an ad from Fry's in Sunnyvale that quotes $649.00 for
the ZCM-1490, good till June 6.  That may be a hundred or so dollars
more than the other's prices, and to my eye it's a bargain.  Try to
get a look at one before you buy.  After all this kind of judgement
is very personal and subjective, so please don't take my word for it.
--
Mike Fischer		mikef%hpspdra@hplabs.hp.com

eric@pyramid.pyramid.com (Eric Bergan) (05/30/89)

In article <590001@hpspdra.HP.COM> mikef@hpspdra.HP.COM (Mike Fischer) writes:
>You didn't mention the multisync monitor that I have seen that makes
>all the others look like out-of-date technology: Zenith ZCM-1490
>flat screen 14 inch.

	I don't believe the Zenith is a Multisync monitor. To work with
the amiga, I think you would have to invest in the flickerfixer to
provide a high frequency signal. Not necessarily a bad thing to do,
but certainly more costly than buying just the monitor.

								eric
--

					eric
					...!pyramid!eric

easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) (05/31/89)

In article <590001@hpspdra.HP.COM>, mikef@hpspdra.HP.COM (Mike Fischer) writes:
> You didn't mention the multisync monitor that I have seen that makes
> all the others look like out-of-date technology: Zenith ZCM-1490
> flat screen 14 inch.  The only area in which it didn't beat all others

The reason it wasnt mentioned as a multisync is because it isnt a
multisync monitor.  The ZCM-1490 is a fixed frequency monitor that
scans at 31.5 kHz, standard frequency for VGA.  The only way to
connect a '1490 to an Amiga is with the flicker fixer board and
an adaptor cable (9 pin to 15 pin).  I personally dont have this
setup but have heard from people that do and they have nothing but
good things to say about it.

> Mike Fischer		mikef%hpspdra@hplabs.hp.com

Jeff Easton
Zenith Data Systems	UUCP: !mailrus!sharkey!aucis!easton

yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Yuan 'Hacker' Chang) (05/31/89)

In article <590001@hpspdra.HP.COM> mikef@hpspdra.HP.COM (Mike Fischer) writes:
-You didn't mention the multisync monitor that I have seen that makes
-all the others look like out-of-date technology: Zenith ZCM-1490
-flat screen 14 inch.

	But Zenith doesn't make any multisync displays!  The ZCM-1490 is a
VGA-only monitor.  It can display EGA, CGA, Hercules, and VGA only when
coupled with the VGA card from Zenith.

-The only area in which it didn't beat all others
-I've seen was brightness.  In a brightly lighted environment (near
-huge windows with clear-sky noon sun outside) it needed to be run
-with the brightness control all the way up, and was a little dim
-for some art, but ok for text.  Even under those conditions its lack
-of glare was astounding.

	That's funny...  Brightness supposed to be one of its strong points
(at least according to the brochure 8).  Supposedly you can turn the
brightness way up because the FTM doesn't warp at high temperature like
most monitors do.
	The thing I find to be dissapointing is that the FTM is either
blurry on the edges or in the center (but not both).  It has something to
do with the fact that the distance of the screen from the electron gun is
not uniform throughout the whole display area.  Other than that, I love the
display...  8)
--
Yuan Chang 				      "What can go wrong, did"
UUCP:      {uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!yuan

spierce@pnet01.cts.com (Stuart Pierce) (05/31/89)

Unfortunately, the Zenith ZCM-1490 is NOT a multisync monitor.
I understand that it works well with a FlickerFixer.

Stuart W. Pierce

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (06/02/89)

In article <423@aucis.UUCP> easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) writes:
>In article <590001@hpspdra.HP.COM>, mikef@hpspdra.HP.COM (Mike Fischer) writes:
>> You didn't mention the multisync monitor that I have seen that makes
>> all the others look like out-of-date technology: Zenith ZCM-1490
>> flat screen 14 inch.  The only area in which it didn't beat all others
>
>The reason it wasnt mentioned as a multisync is because it isnt a
>multisync monitor.  The ZCM-1490 is a fixed frequency monitor that
>scans at 31.5 kHz, standard frequency for VGA.  The only way to
>connect a '1490 to an Amiga is with the flicker fixer board and
>an adaptor cable (9 pin to 15 pin).  I personally dont have this
>setup but have heard from people that do and they have nothing but
>good things to say about it.

Wrongo. I have run my ZCM-1490 directly coupled to my Amiga with the ECS
installed. In fact there is a strange interlaced mode that will give you
680x900+ lines on such a hookup. (AMAX also uses this for one of its
Mac emulation screen modes!)

>> Mike Fischer		mikef%hpspdra@hplabs.hp.com
>
>Jeff Easton
>Zenith Data Systems	UUCP: !mailrus!sharkey!aucis!easton

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow on bix (where else?)	Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

jss@cbmvax.UUCP ( QA) (06/02/89)

In article <16343@gryphon.COM> jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) writes:
>In article <423@aucis.UUCP> easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) writes:
>>In article <590001@hpspdra.HP.COM>, mikef@hpspdra.HP.COM (Mike Fischer) writes:
>>> You didn't mention the multisync monitor that I have seen that makes
>>> all the others look like out-of-date technology: Zenith ZCM-1490
>>> flat screen 14 inch.  The only area in which it didn't beat all others
>>
>>The reason it wasnt mentioned as a multisync is because it isnt a
>>multisync monitor.  The ZCM-1490 is a fixed frequency monitor that
>>scans at 31.5 kHz, standard frequency for VGA.  The only way to
>>connect a '1490 to an Amiga is with the flicker fixer board and
>>an adaptor cable (9 pin to 15 pin).  I personally dont have this
>>setup but have heard from people that do and they have nothing but
>>good things to say about it.
>>
>Wrongo. I have run my ZCM-1490 directly coupled to my Amiga with the ECS
>installed. In fact there is a strange interlaced mode that will give you
>680x900+ lines on such a hookup. (AMAX also uses this for one of its
>Mac emulation screen modes!)
>

>>> Mike Fischer		mikef%hpspdra@hplabs.hp.com
>>
>>Jeff Easton
>>Zenith Data Systems	UUCP: !mailrus!sharkey!aucis!easton
>

>--
>Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
>Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.
>
>{@_@}
>	jdow on bix (where else?)	Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
>	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
>	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
>					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
>					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
>					quit playing with dragons and knights.

CORRECT THE 1490 IS THE NEW VERSION OF THE ZENITH FTM MONITOR.  I FIRST
SAW THIS BEAST AT CEBIT--THE ORGINAL BEAST WAS STUCK AT 31.5.

SAW IT AT CEBIT--IT WAS THE ORIGINAL ZENITH FTM MONITOR THE
*  John Schilling	Assoc. Engineer, Quality Assurance Technical Support  *
*  uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jss	Commodore Business Machines   *
*=============================================================================*
*                             "...I just do eyes..."                          *

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (06/07/89)

In article <7042@cbmvax.UUCP> jss@cbmvax.UUCP (John Schilling - QA) writes:
>In article <16343@gryphon.COM> jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) writes:
>>>
>>>The reason it wasnt mentioned as a multisync is because it isnt a
>>>multisync monitor.  The ZCM-1490 is a fixed frequency monitor that
>>>scans at 31.5 kHz, standard frequency for VGA.  The only way to
>>>connect a '1490 to an Amiga is with the flicker fixer board and
>>>an adaptor cable (9 pin to 15 pin).  I personally dont have this
>>>setup but have heard from people that do and they have nothing but
>>>good things to say about it.
>>>
>>Wrongo. I have run my ZCM-1490 directly coupled to my Amiga with the ECS
>>installed. In fact there is a strange interlaced mode that will give you
>>680x900+ lines on such a hookup. (AMAX also uses this for one of its
>>Mac emulation screen modes!)

>>>Jeff Easton
>>>Zenith Data Systems	UUCP: !mailrus!sharkey!aucis!easton
>>

>>--
>>Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
>>Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.
>>
>>{@_@}
>>	jdow on bix (where else?)	Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
>>	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
>>	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
>>					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
>>					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
>>					quit playing with dragons and knights.
>
>CORRECT THE 1490 IS THE NEW VERSION OF THE ZENITH FTM MONITOR.  I FIRST
>SAW THIS BEAST AT CEBIT--THE ORGINAL BEAST WAS STUCK AT 31.5.
>
>SAW IT AT CEBIT--IT WAS THE ORIGINAL ZENITH FTM MONITOR THE
>--
>*  John Schilling	Assoc. Engineer, Quality Assurance Technical Support  *
>*  uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jss	Commodore Business Machines   *
>*=============================================================================*
>*                             "...I just do eyes..."                          *

Wrongo, again. I have a stock FTM with no multi-sync capability. The new ECS
has a so called productivity mode that gives 2 or fewer planes deinterlaced
640x400 (nominal.) There is a mode you can throw THAT into that is interlaced
to give a screen as big as 704x960 if you're that masochistic. It is 31.5kHz
sweep 30 pix per sec interlaced between two frames.

--

a117@mindlink.UUCP (Geoff Hansen) (06/07/89)

Mike Fischer writes:
> You didn't mention the multisync monitor that I have seen that makes
> all the others look like out-of-date technology: Zenith ZCM-1490
> flat screen 14 inch.  The only area in which it didn't beat all others
> I've seen was brightness.  In a brightly lighted environment (near
> huge windows with clear-sky noon sun outside) it needed to be run
> with the brightness control all the way up, and was a little dim
> for some art, but ok for text.  Even under those conditions its lack
> of glare was astounding.

Another area that the Zenith flat screen gets beat is in its ability
to keep a stable display.  (At work there are two of these monitors and I have
heard complaints from others.)  The display tends to expand and contract at a
steady rate once the monitor heats up.  Furthermore, these monitors have had to
be realigned several times.  I suggest that the Sony flatscreen is a better
choice since these problems appear to be absent.

Geoff Hansen

easton@aucis.UUCP (Jeff Easton) (06/09/89)

aucis.UUCP>
gryphon.COM (J. Dow) writes:

[ Tons of stuff about the ZCM1490 purporting to be multiscanning deleted ]

  ? -------------------------------^
> >SAW IT AT CEBIT--IT WAS THE ORIGINAL ZENITH FTM MONITOR THE

I'm not sure exactly who is saying the above.  I missed the original
posting due to the system administrator blowing away my user directory...

The ZCM-1490 is the *original* and *only* FTM Zenith currently has.
Yes, it is 'stuck' at 31.5 kHz.  No, it does not multiscan...

> >*******************************************************************************
> >*  John Schilling    Assoc. Engineer, Quality Assurance Technical Support  *
> >*  uucp: {ihnp4|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jss  Commodore Business Machines   *
> >*=============================================================================*
> >*                             "...I just do eyes..."                          *
> >*******************************************************************************
>
> Wrongo, again. I have a stock FTM with no multi-sync capability. The new ECS
> has a so called productivity mode that gives 2 or fewer planes deinterlaced
> 640x400 (nominal.) There is a mode you can throw THAT into that is interlaced
> to give a screen as big as 704x960 if you're that masochistic. It is 31.5kHz

>       jdow on bix (where else?)       Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
gryphon.CTS.COM            the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
>       {backbone}!gryphon!jdow         win? Surely both the knight and dragon

I guess my original followup posting to jdow never made it out on the net
so I will repeat my question.
Could any of you that have the Enhanced Chip Set already please post
a summary of its capabilities?  I'm looking for a table of different
modes possible, i.e. screen size vs. number of bitplanes vs. scan rate.
I'm not going to go out and blindly buy the upgrade without knowing
what it does.  Informed buyers are smart buyers :> .

Jeff Easton
Zenith Data Systems	UUCP: !mailrus!sharkey!aucis!easton

Bruce_Eric_Bowers@cup.portal.com (08/02/89)

I'm interested in buying a multisync monitor to use with my A2500. Are
there multisync monitors that don't (or do) work particularly well with
the Amiga? Which ones require a custom cable to be built? Are any brands
of significantly higher quality than the others?

In short, I'm interested in any advice on what to buy. Please post or
E-Mail me with your experiences. Thanks!

Bruce Bowers

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Bin) (08/19/89)

I just got my Amiga 2000.  I also had ordered a SOny CPD 1304 Multiscan
HG monitor (1024x768, .25mm dot pitch and anti glare screen with tilt/
swivel for $650.  However I tried hooking them up I finally discovered
the following things.

When buying monitors be sure to check the lower Horizontal scanning
frequency on the monitor.  The Sony's was 20Hz while the AMiga video
signal is ~ 16.7!  Translation:  It won't work without the flickerfixer.
The Sony 1302 and 1303 have a 15Hz lower Horizontal freq.  Why did they
change?  Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks to Julie from Redmond Cable and Sony Corp. for clearing it up.

If anybody thinks the Sony1304 can be connected to the Amiga without
the flickerfixer please let me know as soon as possible before I return
it for a NEC 3d.  Also suggestions for better monitors at same price
range are welcome.

Bin

MHALL@ducvax.auburn.edu (10/04/89)

I am going to purchase a multisync monitor to compliment
my new 2000.  I have narrowed my choices to the NEC 2A,
the NEC 3D, or the Mitsubishi Diamond Scan.  Does anyone have
any experience with these monitors used with an Amiga?  Does
anyone have another multisync monitor they would like to
recommend?  If you do recommend another monitor, please
pass along specs (resolution, dot pitch, etc.).  I don't
have any special applications which require the multisync;
I just want to buy a little compatibility for a later date.

Please forward all replies to my BITNET address listed below.
I will summarize the replies and re-post in a few days.  I sure
will appreciate any and all comments, horror stories, marketing
hype, etc.

Mark Hall
Systems Analyst I
144 Parker Hall
Auburn University
Auburn University, Alabama  36849-3501

BITNET:  MHALL@AUDUCVAX

 Phone:  (205) 844-4512
All standard and non-standard disclaimers apply.

bga@odeon.ahse.cdc.com (Bruce Albrecht) (11/15/89)

If a multisync monitor supports higher resolution, such as the NEC multi-sync
3D (supports 1024 x 768), is there any way to take advantage of the higher
resolution on the Amiga?  Can you use the Hedley graphics card?  Are there
other graphics cards that support better than 640x480?

gsgi_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Gregory Gibson) (03/09/90)

I have posted to other news groups and only got a few responses.  I
know more poeple must have theses monitors out there and I received
a few "send me what you find out" messages so obviously people want
to know which Multisync Monitor (13" or 14") they should buy for the
price.

The two I know of are the Mitsubishi Diamond Scan and the Panasync.
The Nec IIA apparently has a problem.

If you own a 13" or 14" multisync monitor please mail me with a
desciption of it and include its cost.  I will forward the info to
anybody who wants it.

Thanks,
        Greg Gibson  gsgi_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu or gsgi_ltd@uordbv.bitnet