[comp.sys.amiga] Modula-2 packages

nfs1675@dsac.dla.mil (Michael Figg) (03/07/90)

Can anybody give me a quick rundown on available Modula-2 compilers? My
impressions are that TDI is defunct (or close to it), Benchmark is good for
the money, and M2Sprint is flashy and maybe overpriced. If I go with Benchmark,
are the extra libraries needed? I will be using it for expected school work,
and will probably continue to use Lattice C for my own work.

How about good books on Modula-2? I've heard that Wirth is Wirthless, but this
is from somebody that thinks the same way about the language as a whole.

						       Thanks,

--
"Could we be the bellwether  | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
 of major societal shifts?"  | DLA Systems Automation Center - Columbus,Oh

gbbrooks@sybil.cs.Buffalo.EDU (G. Brandon Brooks) (03/09/90)

In article <1712@dsac.dla.mil> nfs1675@dsac.dla.mil (Michael Figg) writes:
>Can anybody give me a quick rundown on available Modula-2 compilers? My
>impressions are that TDI is defunct (or close to it), Benchmark is good for
>the money, and M2Sprint is flashy and maybe overpriced. If I go with Benchmark,
>are the extra libraries needed? I will be using it for expected school work,
>and will probably continue to use Lattice C for my own work.

  Benchmark Modula-2 in my opinion is the way to go.
  Just the basic libraries included in the main package are needed for general
programming as you will probably do at school. I bought my Benchmark Modula-2
about 1 1/2 years ago for about $120, and the main package is all I've ever
needed.
  The other two modules contain IFF routines for loading/saving graphics and
easier use of the libraries built into the Amiga (like using sprites, making
screens or menus).
  If you have been programming in Lattice C, all the libraries that Lattice
gives you are included in the Benchmark package ('Modula-2ized' of course).

>How about good books on Modula-2? I've heard that Wirth is Wirthless, but this
>is from somebody that thinks the same way about the language as a whole.

  I used 'Using Modula-2: An Introduction to Computer Science I' by Riley. It
was required for my course at College. It is by no means excellent, but the
best Modula-2 book I have seen. Several people in the past have mentioned a
book called 'The Seafarer's and Ship Guide to Modula-2' (or something of the
sort) - I have never seen this book, however.
		-Brandon