[comp.sys.amiga] Pirates and Houston Amiga BBSes

It seems like Amiga users are a better class of people, at least in Houston.

My wife calls a number of local chat boards, and mentioned on one
of them that she was using an Amiga.  The person on the other end
remarked that he didn't call Amiga boards, because when you
talked about pirating software on an Amiga board they turned you
in.  The very nerve!

Now if only this attitude (of the board users and sysops, that is) could be
promulgated to other places and user groups...
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.
/      \

msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) (03/06/90)

Note that many BBS's in the Houston area, and elsewhere (attctc,
jolnet, illuminati, etc) are being shut down as part of an FBI sting,
which seems to involve Bell South 911 and possibly ATT 3B2 software.

See comp.dcom.telecom for more info (I know nothing but what I saw
there).

Mark
--
Mark Smith, KNJ2LH                All Rights Reserved
RPO 1604               You may redistribute this article only if those who

nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (03/06/90)

In article <5249@sugar.hackercorp.com>, peter@sugar (Peter da Silva) writes:
>My wife calls a number of local chat boards, and mentioned on one
>of them that she was using an Amiga.  The person on the other end
>remarked that he didn't call Amiga boards, because when you
>talked about pirating software on an Amiga board they turned you
>in.

Hey, this da Silva guy is talking about pirating software. We'd better
turn him in.

:-)

> _--_|\  Peter da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

		Nick.
--
Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!nick

ben@pnet01.cts.com (Ben Decker) (03/07/90)

The situation is the same here in San Diego. There was one pirate BBS that
lasted a SHORT while. It was run by a 14 year old kid with more than a few
social disorders... The Amiga community shut him down. The bottom line... The
Amiga MUST be supported by its users to stay alive and on top of the heap. I
think most of the users have gotten to where they would rather support the
machine than hope someone else does, at least here in San Diego.
                                -Ben

UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!ben
ARPA: crash!pnet01!ben@nosc.mil
INET: ben@pnet01.cts.com

jback@trinesundc.East.Sun.COM (Joe Backo - PS Mgr Sun Washington) (03/07/90)

In article <Mar.5.18.38.43.1990.17610@topaz.rutgers.edu>,
msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
> Note that many BBS's in the Houston area, and elsewhere (attctc,
> jolnet, illuminati, etc) are being shut down as part of an FBI sting,
> which seems to involve Bell South 911 and possibly ATT 3B2 software.

Is this the same attctc that was once known as "killer"?  If so,
I'll take the address out of my L.sys ASAP....  Thanks for the
info.

Joe

In article <Mar.5.18.38.43.1990.17610@topaz.rutgers.edu> msmith@topaz.rutgers.edu (Mark Robert Smith) writes:
> Note that many BBS's in the Houston area, and elsewhere (attctc,
> jolnet, illuminati, etc) are being shut down as part of an FBI sting,
> which seems to involve Bell South 911 and possibly ATT 3B2 software.

I realise that it's fashionable in the rest of the U.S. to think of Texas
as one big homogenous "lump", and I know that many Houstonians might normally
be flattered to have you consider Dallas as some sort of suburb of Houston,
but really it isn't.

Also, while the Amiga operating system has a lot in common with UNIX, the
Amiga and UNIX communities aren't quite as closely integrated as you seem
to be implying.

Well, thanks for the kudos. I'll let John or Greg or someone assemble a
Dallas-based response...
--
 _--_|\  `-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \  'U`

eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) (03/07/90)

In article <1752@crash.cts.com> ben@pnet01.cts.com (Ben Decker) writes:
>The situation is the same here in San Diego. There was one pirate BBS that
>lasted a SHORT while. It was run by a 14 year old kid with more than a few
>social disorders... The Amiga community shut him down. The bottom line... The
>Amiga MUST be supported by its users to stay alive and on top of the heap. I
>think most of the users have gotten to where they would rather support the
>machine than hope someone else does, at least here in San Diego.
>                                -Ben
There are more than a few Amiga pirate BBS's in the Irvine, CA area and they
seem well conected to a national network of Amiga Pirates.  I have aquired
some of of their text files, including a list of their BBS's but they are
very carefull and their is no way I can get on to any of these systems to
confirm them.  Is there anything further that I or someone else can do
about this?

-Jason-

--

---------
Jason Goldberg                     INTERNET: eaeu079@ORION.OAC.UCI.EDU

In article <25F4C688.3767@orion.oac.uci.edu> eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) writes:
|There are more than a few Amiga pirate BBS's in the Irvine, CA area and they
|seem well conected to a national network of Amiga Pirates.  I have aquired
|some of of their text files, including a list of their BBS's but they are
|very carefull and their is no way I can get on to any of these systems to
|confirm them.  Is there anything further that I or someone else can do
|about this?

You can call the Software Publisher Association toll free number, and they
will tell you what you can do.  Ask ATT for the 800 number for the SPA.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

In <4756@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk>, tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) writes:
>I recently took part in a fairly lively discussion about the "ethics/morality"
>of software pirating by individuals.  Has this issue been aired before on news.
>If so where?
>tk

What a novel idea! I have never actually seen any debate on any network or BBS
on this subject. We should definitely start one! I'm sure there would be all
sorts of benefits from it.

Seriously, yes, it's been done, and done again, and redone, reiterated,
repeated, encored, reprised on every network or BBS that's been in existence
for more than 17 days, and if you start another one, the entire net will hate
you and flame you mercilessly.

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) (03/08/90)

I recently took part in a fairly lively discussion about the "ethics/morality"
of software pirating by individuals.  Has this issue been aired before on news.
If so where?
tk
Disclaimer: "You can't pin that wrap on me."

lauren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Lauren Brown - CATS) (03/08/90)

In article <23311@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>In article <25F4C688.3767@orion.oac.uci.edu> eaeu079@orion.oac.uci.edu (Jason Goldberg) writes:
>|There are more than a few Amiga pirate BBS's in the Irvine, CA area and they
>|seem well conected to a national network of Amiga Pirates. ...
>Is there anything further that I or someone else can do
>|about this?
>
>You can call the Software Publisher Association toll free number, and they
>will tell you what you can do.  Ask ATT for the 800 number for the SPA.

The toll free number for reporting piracy is (800) 388-PIR8.

Let us know the results.

Lauren Brown     -- CBM   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                                    1200 Wilson Drive
                                  West Chester, PA 19380
                   UUCP     ...{allegra,uunet,rutger,}!cbmvax!lauren
                                    PHONE 215-431-9100

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/08/90)

In article <10037@cbmvax.commodore.com> lauren@cbmvax (Lauren Brown - CATS) writes:
>In article <23311@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>You can call the Software Publisher Association toll free number, and they
>>will tell you what you can do.  Ask ATT for the 800 number for the SPA.
>
>The toll free number for reporting piracy is (800) 388-PIR8.
>
>Let us know the results.

What kind of information is SPA interested in?  I presume they aren't asking
for reports like "Joe Blow just gave my brother a copy of FuzzPro+ version 3,"
correct?  Are they mostly interested in reports of pirate BBSes, or what?  And,
how "hard" do they want the information to be?

Also, who else wants to know these things?  I know our local FBI office
occasionally states that they investigate cases of piracy, as does the
security division of our phone company, if it involves BBSes...what about AT&T?
I'm really getting tired of these people...especially after getting accosted on
BIX the other day by some moron who implied I couldn't be a /<00L Amiga power-
user because I preferred to write or buy software rather than steal it like his
awesome friends do.  :-)

 -Chris
-----
Chris Lang    University of Michigan, College of Engineering
home: 4622 Bursley             work: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences
      Ann Arbor, MI  48109           900 Victors Way, Suite 226
      (313) 763-1832                 Ann Arbor, MI  48108
chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu          (313) 995-0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

In article <490f8c82.db93@edsel.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
>In article <10037@cbmvax.commodore.com> lauren@cbmvax (Lauren Brown - CATS) writes:
>>The toll free number for reporting piracy is (800) 388-PIR8.

>What kind of information is SPA interested in?  I presume they aren't asking
>for reports like "Joe Blow just gave my brother a copy of FuzzPro+ version 3,"
>correct?  Are they mostly interested in reports of pirate BBSes, or what?  And,
>how "hard" do they want the information to be?

They just need the telephone number of the pirate BBS. If you want to remain
anonymous, they'll accept that too.  The have shut down quite a few BBS
(and people DID get in jail) and have pretty good connections with the FBI.

lauren@cbmvax.commodore.com (Lauren Brown - CATS) (03/09/90)

>>You can call the Software Publisher Association toll free number, and they
>>>will tell you what you can do.  Ask ATT for the 800 number for the SPA.
>>
>>The toll free number for reporting piracy is (800) 388-PIR8.

>What kind of information is SPA interested in?  I presume they aren't asking
>for reports like "Joe Blow just gave my brother a copy of FuzzPro+ version 3,"
>correct?  Are they mostly interested in reports of pirate BBSes, or what?  And,
>how "hard" do they want the information to be?

I spoke with Karen Johnson of SPA this afternoon. While Karen isn't directly
involved with their anti-piracy campaign, she did give me an overview
of their procedure.

Essentially, SPA is interested in hearing ANY reports of piracy. However,
response will differ according to the seriousness of the charge. As
example: if someone calls with the phone number of a pirate BBS, it is
possible the FBI will be alerted immediately. Or, if a call comes in
regarding a company's somewhat illegal (to say nothing of immoral:-)
copying  of software, SPA  may write to the company, including their
software audit kit with the letter.

FYI - the SPA's software audit kit is available to any company upon
request. It includes procedures for corporations to perform their
own software audit, to ensure legal software usage under the copyright
laws. It also includes a list of the possible penalties if software
is used illegally.

The kit can be requested by calling SPA at (202) 452-1600.