[comp.sys.amiga] IBM/MAC -> Amiga

watters@hydroplane.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (03/07/90)

I have a friend that needs to buy an IBM ('286 or better) for his work.
He is an accountant, and will be running a lot of Lotus type stuff.
His wife needs a Mac, since she has to use one at work.  He is eligable
for the Education prices, and they had been looking at a MAC IIcx with a
pc card in it.
My question is:  How good is the A2286, and would it be better if they
got a 2000HD-PC for $25?? with A-max?
I am begging for some responses as I personal think, that getting 3 computers
for half the price of a MAC/ibm system is a better idea, but I would need
some facts to back it up!!!   Is the hardrive support on the A2286 any good?
Please mail me your stories/opinions/advice as soon as you can!
Thanks!

|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|  David Watters               |  "Render 'till you PUKE!"    |
|  The Ohio State University   |                    ~~~~~     |
|  watters@cis.ohio-state.edu  |     That says it all!        |
|______________________________|______________________________|

davidw@telxon.UUCP (David Wright) (03/08/90)

	If your friend is willing to pay for the Amiga & bridge board,
it's a good deal. The 2286 uses an AT type HD controller, so it would
exactly if he got a 286 PC.

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/09/90)

     I'd only suggest one thing if they go for the A2000 w/ 286 and AMAX.
If his wife is going to do any serious work on the Mac, definitely get
a Trump to get mac hard drive support.
     You know, I've seen Mac+ w/ 20meg hard drives selling for $800 lately
used, so it might be better for them just to get a used mac than a
AMAX combo that may or may not suit her needs.

roadman@portia.Stanford.EDU (arthur walker) (03/09/90)

In article <46200040@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu>, jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>      I'd only suggest one thing if they go for the A2000 w/ 286 and AMAX.
> If his wife is going to do any serious work on the Mac, definitely get
> a Trump to get mac hard drive support.
>      You know, I've seen Mac+ w/ 20meg hard drives selling for $800 lately
> used, so it might be better for them just to get a used mac than a
> AMAX combo that may or may not suit her needs.

On the other hand, an amiga accelerator and additional memory, up to 4M,
can be used by amax to make it usable.  If one buys a hedley monitor or
the ($) Moniterm, bingo, a mac screen with a usable number of pixels.

Also, you can get more than twice the disk for twice the cost, and with
the IVS HD utilities or some diskED action you can put both the mac
bootblock, partition map and driver AND the amiga hardblocks into the
low end of the disk.  Can you play 2 player Flight simulator over a
null modem with the one machine? no.

Lastly, the common knowledge is that system 7.0 WILL work with a mac plus,
even if some features like virtual memory are unavailable.  So one should
have some confidence that AMAX will work immediately with 7.0, if that's
a concern in this decision.

art walker
roadman@portia.stanford.edu