[comp.sys.amiga] Zoo and VLT Blues

ed@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Ed Friedman) (03/09/90)

We have been ftp'ing fish disks from mrcnext, and notice that although
they extract just fine under UNIX zoo, using Amiga zoo (V. 2.0) we get
occasional corrupted files, and recently had a zoo file it couldn't
even get a total listing for.  Is there any more recent version of zoo
for the Amiga than 2.0?  (I noticed that our UNIX version seems to be 2.01)
We have tried both kermit and zmodem to transfer our .zoo file from the
UNIX system to the Amiga, and nothing seems to alter this behavior.  Has
anyone else observed this sort of behavior?  We are using a A1000, but I
don't see how that should make any difference.

Another problem which may or may not be related to the one above, is that
we specifically tried to get VLT to work, getting its zoo file from
the recently installed Fish disk #308 on mrcnext.  Everything seemed to
extract ok at the UNIX end, and seemed to transfer ok to the Amiga, but
after installing the fonts and libraries on our hard disk, trying to run
VLT resulted in an error message stating VLT: not an object module.
Does this mean that we need some sort of assign to VLT: before the program
will run properly, or does it mean that the VLT program itself has
been damaged somehow and is no longer executable?

Thanks in advance,

Ed Friedman

INTERNET: ed@zaphod.uchicago.edu
BITNET:   friedman@uchicago.bitnet
USENET:   ...uunet!mimsy!oddjob!zaphod!ed

fenske@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Robert Fenske Jr) (03/09/90)

In article <7917@tank.uchicago.edu> ed@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Ed Friedman) writes:
>We have been ftp'ing fish disks from mrcnext, and notice that although
>they extract just fine under UNIX zoo, using Amiga zoo (V. 2.0) we get
>occasional corrupted files, and recently had a zoo file it couldn't
>even get a total listing for.  Is there any more recent version of zoo
>for the Amiga than 2.0?  (I noticed that our UNIX version seems to be 2.01)
>We have tried both kermit and zmodem to transfer our .zoo file from the
>UNIX system to the Amiga, and nothing seems to alter this behavior.  Has
>anyone else observed this sort of behavior?  We are using a A1000, but I
>don't see how that should make any difference.

I have had the same problem using VLT.  I have tried both straight ASCII
capture and kermit under VLT.  The zoo file works fine on UNIX; I uuencode
it, download it (2400 baud), uudecode it, and try to un-zoo it on my A2000.
Zoo fails after extracting a few files with a corrupted dir message.  I
have no evidence that anything was corrupted during downloading, especially
since it uudecodes fine, so I don't know yet where/how the corrupted bits are
creeping in.

--
Robert Fenske, Jr.                      Sw     | The Taming the C*sm*s series:
Electromagnetics Division              /R---\  |

wfh58@leah.Albany.Edu (William F. Hammond) (03/10/90)

In article <1499@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu>, fenske@dfsun1.electro.swri.edu (Robert Fenske Jr) writes:
> In article <7917@tank.uchicago.edu> ed@zaphod.uchicago.edu (Ed Friedman) writes:
> >We have been ftp'ing fish disks from mrcnext, and notice that although
> >they extract just fine under UNIX zoo, using Amiga zoo (V. 2.0) we get
> >occasional corrupted files, and recently had a zoo file it couldn't
> >even get a total listing for.  Is there any more recent version of zoo
> >for the Amiga than 2.0?  (I noticed that our UNIX version seems to be 2.01)
***  There have been reports that an Amiga port of zoo, version 2.01, will
soon be out.
> I have had the same problem using VLT.  I have tried both straight ASCII
> capture and kermit under VLT.  The zoo file works fine on UNIX; I uuencode
> it, download it (2400 baud), uudecode it, and try to un-zoo it on my A2000.
> Zoo fails after extracting a few files with a corrupted dir message.  I
> have no evidence that anything was corrupted during downloading, especially
> since it uudecodes fine, so I don't know yet where/how the corrupted bits are
> creeping in.
***  You could use "brik" (which runs both on the Amiga and on UNIX) to
isolate the problem.  That is, assuming file sizes are the same on both
machines for the .zoo files, do they have the same CRC reported by "brik"?
Likewise, for the .uu.  Now if you're downloading the .uu, and the .uu passes
the "brik" test but the .zoo fails it, then I'd look at the two versions of
uuencode.
   But why are you downloading the .uu?  On the UNIX usually one can open
kermit and within kermit "set file type binary".  Then "send foo.zoo", followed
by right-amiga-r in VLT (after using the protocol menu to specify kermit and
with only "send/receive" checked on the kermit options menu).  I have never
had any trouble with this procedure when logged in with VLT to a Sperry UNIX
or a Vax VMS.
   Good luck.  -- Bill