[comp.sys.amiga] Empire 1.33w - problem reading news

john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) (03/02/90)

I too have been having a problem with Empire 1.33w and reading news.
My setup is a 2500, so I was able to test this in both 68000 and 68020
modes.  I only have 2 Megs of 32bit RAM and 512k CHIP RAM.  I'm
running Dmouse, Mymenu, conman and setcpu (FASTROM and CARDROM for the
2090a in 68020 mode).  Here are my results:

68000 Mode

	-Always gives Guru Number  4.00c65bd8
	-Gives a system requestor telling me something is wrong
	-When the system reboots, it comes up in 68000 mode, not in
	 68020 mode.

68020 Mode

	-Guru Number 4.00c02872
	-Crashes to a blue screen that is totally blank
	-Have to do a three finger reset to get the guru number
	-It does print the news header upto the date (unlike in 68000
	 mode).

All of these test have been run with Empire on the Hard drive and from
a virgin world.  I hope  this helps  people!

		John

davewt@NCoast.ORG (David Wright) (03/02/90)

	I'm really not sure what your problem is, since I have had the program
up and running all the time for about 1-1/2 years. Perhaps the uuencoded file
got corrupted during transfer. But to make sure, you should try the following:
	1) Make SURE (did you notice the caps?) that the stack is AT LEAST
		40-50k. Empire uses quite a bit of reentrant code, and will
		gobble up stack like candy.
	2) Make sure you don't have any funny ANSI escape sequences in your
		text files. This has been known to cause problems.
	3) Make sure there are no half-completed news files lying around
		the EmpMisc: directory. Try deleting empmisc:news.#?
	4) Check if there are too many files in the same directory. You
		really shouldn't keep the help files with the rest of the
		runtime files.

	If you still have problems, please send a message to me via email.
I want to find out why the version posted to the Net has problems, while
the version I have posted to BBS's has not.....

			Dave

mamba@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Paul A Deisinger) (03/06/90)

In article <9343@wpi.wpi.edu> john@wpi.wpi.edu (John F Stoffel) writes:

>I too have been having a problem with Empire 1.33w and reading news.
>68000 Mode
>	-Always gives Guru Number  4.00c65bd8
etc.
>All of these test have been run with Empire on the Hard drive and from
>a virgin world.  I hope  this helps  people!
   ^^^^^^

This is the problem right here.  If you try to read news and there is none
it guru's...as soon as I made some moves and generated news there was no
problem in reading the newspaper.

I still have a couple problems though:
	1) The program will not exit properly.  When I type QUIT it usually
	gives me an error, and once it guru'd.

	2) We have been playing for 3 days.  We have built harbors and moved
	people and ore to them, but there are no production points yet.
	What is wrong?

	Also, the mines aren't working either.  In fact the only thing that
	has increased at all is population.

PAD

--
  Paul Deisinger                     "Me wa kuchi hodo ni mono o ii"
                                     "Bushi wa kuwanedo takayooji"

davidw@telxon.UUCP (David Wright) (03/08/90)

	Your problems with production are due to time. You said that you
moved things out three (3) days ago, and still have no production. In the
Empire manual it states that a sector must be at least 60% efficient before
it can produce anything. There is no way that you could have taken over a
new sector and had it go to 60% efficient in that amount of time,
especially if you took over more than one sector. The sector efficiency
depends on the number of people (civilians and military) for the rate it
increases. You could have only 2 civs in a sector, and it would probobly
take a month or two to get even 50% efficient. The key to expanding your
country is to keep the civilians at their peak growth range, and to
always keep the minimum number of civilians (32) in each sector. This is
NOT the small version of Empire that is sold commercially, and that can
be solved in a few days. This version will REQUIRE at least 2-3 months
for even a small world. I am presently running a game on a 128x128 world
which has been going for almost 6 months, and has only recently heated
up (in the past 2 months or so).
	Empire is a game of long-term strategy, not quick returns for
spurious decisions. To win, or even survive, you must take into account
the time it takes sectors to become efficient, the speed of the ships
you are sailing (it can take a whole month for the slower ships to
navigate a 128x128 world), and most importantly, your countries
economy. Most beginning players die or get killed due to their country
going bankrupt from too hasty expansion.

		Dave

rrmorris@uokmax.uucp (Rodney Raymond Morrison) (03/10/90)

Could someone please give me and FTP site where I can get Empire
(preferably version 2.0 if possible)