[comp.sys.amiga] Dual Mac/Amidos drive for AMAX use.

mathers@titan.trl.oz (Steven Mathers) (03/09/90)

I like to use AMAX for the Mac application software, which lets face it,
shits on the Amiga stuff at the moment.  (Yes Im sure there are
exceptions, dont post back with 86 amiga programs which are better than
mac equivilants, Im speaking in general.)

I am looking to buy a second drive for my 500, and I heard that there is
a drive out there somewhere that can be used both as an amiga drive, but
also handles Mac stuff.  This would be ideal for me, and im sure many
others.  The trouble is that I cant get any information on this type of
drive.

Does anyone have or know of a drive like this, and where it is
available, and how much (us or oz) it costs?

Ta.

							Stefo.

jon@sun.acs.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) (03/09/90)

In article <1165@trlluna.trl.oz> mathers@titan.trl.oz (Steven Mathers) writes:
>I am looking to buy a second drive for my 500, and I heard that there is
>a drive out there somewhere that can be used both as an amiga drive, but
>also handles Mac stuff.  This would be ideal for me, and im sure many
>others.  The trouble is that I cant get any information on this type of
>drive.
>Does anyone have or know of a drive like this, and where it is
>available, and how much (us or oz) it costs?

	I can't remember the company who advertised that, but, after looking
at the fine print, I found out that it'll only run AmigaDOS stuff with extra
software.  This means the AmigaDOS side of it is only good for about 1/2
of the things you'd want to do with it.  If there is another drive that
does not require additional software, please let me (everyone) know....

       X-------------------+--------------+-----------------------X
       |  |   |\       | jon@sun.acs.udel.edu | "For my 2 cents,  |
       | \|on |/eutsch | \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/ | I'd pay a dollar" |
       X------+--------------------+--------------------+---------X

4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca (03/10/90)

In article <8895@sun.acs.udel.edu>, jon@sun.acs.udel.edu (Jonathan R Deutsch) writes:
> In article <1165@trlluna.trl.oz> mathers@titan.trl.oz (Steven Mathers) writes:
>>I am looking to buy a second drive for my 500, and I heard that there is
>>a drive out there somewhere that can be used both as an amiga drive, but
>>also handles Mac stuff.  This would be ideal for me, and im sure many
>>others.  The trouble is that I cant get any information on this type of
>>drive.

Central Coast Software sells Mac-2-Dos.  Their package B for 349US includes
Mac-2-Dos program and a Mac-compatible 3.5 floppy drive.  It also includes
a software driver to enable to use a Mac drive to read/write AmigaDOS disks.
N.B. that the driver is not included with the software only package A for
99US.

M.A.S.T sell two different mac compatible drives.  The cheaper one plugs
into the Mac-2-dos or amax interface.  The Amiga-tosh plus drive plugs
right into the amiga and has sockets inside it in which you can put
the MAC ROM's from your AMAX.

john

roadman@portia.Stanford.EDU (arthur walker) (03/10/90)

In article <5259.25f79137@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 4225_5105@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:
> M.A.S.T sell two different mac compatible drives.  The cheaper one plugs
> into the Mac-2-dos or amax interface.  The Amiga-tosh plus drive plugs
> right into the amiga and has sockets inside it in which you can put
> the MAC ROM's from your AMAX.

Yeah, but has anyone out there actually seen one  of these "amigatosh plus"
drives?  I think it's more MAST vaporware.  Also,
The sales of this object will
promote piracy of the amax product, unless it's built to allow the original
AMAX card to be inserted inside the drive case, roms attached.

Hope you guys are enjoying waiting for the "infinity machine".  Hey, at least
you didn't spend your dough on another product and help
keep someone in business.

art walker
roadman@portia.stanford.edu