[comp.sys.amiga] Modem Transfer Throughput

In article <1990Mar7.000117.6984@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> ml@ecerl3.UUCP () writes:
>A semi-related question about throughput:
>
>The modem does all sorts of data compression techniques to get its speed.
>Protocols like Zmodem also do compression.

No. ZMODEM doesn't do any compression whatsoever.

>Will the compression done by Zmodem (or "compress" or "arc" or "squeeze"...)
>likely *decrease* the transmission rate when using data compression modes
>(MNP or PEP) on the modem?  (since applying a compression technique to data
>which is already well compressed often yields *worse* results).

If you "pre-compress" the program (whith compress, zoo, arc, squeeze) before
sending the file, you WILL LIKELY *decrease* the transmission rate IF you've
set up your modem to do compression itself. So best performance with modems
that support compression can be achieved either by:

a) transfer the original file "uncompressed", with your modem(s) compression
   turned ON.

b) compress the file at the origination site and turn OFF your modem(s)
   compression.

Most modem manuals will suggest you to do a).

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (03/09/90)

In article <23299@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
|[...]
|If you "pre-compress" the program (whith compress, zoo, arc, squeeze) before
|sending the file, you WILL LIKELY *decrease* the transmission rate IF you've
|set up your modem to do compression itself. So best performance with modems
|that support compression can be achieved either by:
|
|a) transfer the original file "uncompressed", with your modem(s) compression
|   turned ON.
|
|b) compress the file at the origination site and turn OFF your modem(s)
|   compression.
|
|Most modem manuals will suggest you to do a).

	It seems that b). is the most advantageous
	however.

	Ususally the bottleneck is the time it takes
	to transfer data thru the serial port.
	for a). twice the amount of data (on average)
	goes through the port than for b). It
	usually takes a similar amount of time for
	the modem to compress as it does the host,
	so often there's no advantage to modem-based
	compression.

Cheers,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

jross@pilot.njin.net (Jeff Ross) (03/10/90)

In article <5659@becker.UUCP>, bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
> In article <23299@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
> |[...]
> |If you "pre-compress" the program (whith compress, zoo, arc, squeeze) before
> |sending the file, you WILL LIKELY *decrease* the transmission rate IF you've
> |set up your modem to do compression itself. So best performance with modems
> |that support compression can be achieved either by:

I have the microcom 2400c which is MNP lvl 5  I don't see anywhere in
the manual where it says to turn off the modem compression if I am
sending a compressed file.

> |a) transfer the original file "uncompressed", with your modem(s) compression
> |   turned ON.
on a standard text file (uncompressed) I can get about 460 cps throughput.

> |b) compress the file at the origination site and turn OFF your modem(s)
> |   compression.
> |
> |Most modem manuals will suggest you to do a).

I find that by compressing the file first then sending the file across
I can get a thoughput of about 280-300 cps depending upon the
compression scheme used.

> 	It seems that b). is the most advantageous
> 	however.
>
> 	Ususally the bottleneck is the time it takes
> 	to transfer data thru the serial port.
> 	for a). twice the amount of data (on average)
> 	goes through the port than for b). It
> 	usually takes a similar amount of time for
> 	the modem to compress as it does the host,
> 	so often there's no advantage to modem-based
> 	compression.
>
> Cheers,
> --
>   (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
> w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
>  `/v/-e	 UUCP: ...!uunet!mnetor!becker!bdb
> _/  \_	 "They never tell you shit like this in high school!" - J. R. Dobbs

a final nicety I have is that I only talk to the modem at 9600 bps,
the modem and the computer nogotiate with each other via cts/rts to
avoid overflowing the buffer.  one other thing, transfers are error
free due to the fact that compression modems are also error correcting
modems.

one of the big disadvantages is that while in the eror checking mode
it is to your gread disadvantage to use an error checking protocol
such as xmodem or ymodem  because the modem does this itself with the
remote.  by what I can figure, the modems negotiate a packet size of
on of the four sizes depending upon retry rates (64, 128, 192, 256
bytes)   when a packet is recieved the remote sends its own
acknoledgement, either send again or its ok.  the problem comes is
when the packet does not fill up, there is a time out where if no
other data is to be sent, the modem just dumps its buffer.  this is
why using an error checking protocol is wasing time on the modems.
either I will use ymodem-g or zmodem depending upon what the remote
has available.

				Jeff
--
Just plain and simple....