[comp.sys.amiga] XPRmodem- is it bidirectional

In <6828@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>After looking at the new Fish disks, I noticed a program which supports>
>the XPR protocol.
>
>What is it?

XPR is a method of allowing any protocol to be implemented as a program
external to the terminal program. It is implemented as a shared library, and
all the terminal program needs to do is to call the appropriate routines in
the library, and to provide the appropriate 'callback'; routines for such
terminal oriented things as getting or sending serial port data, checking the
keyboard, and so on. It means that a terminal program author can impelment
XPR, and be assured that the user can choose any XPR protocol available.

>I've also heard rumors of a reasonably neat protocol which allows uploads
>and downloads in both directions at once. Has anyone implemented this on
>an Amiga? How badly does it slow down transfers?

I don't know which one you are speaking of, but the principle is that in any
protocol transfer, the majority of the data flows in one direction, and the
other direction only carried acknowledgements or error reporting to tell the
sender that something was either received, or was in error. Because of this,
one direction is virtually unused, and can be used for transfer of data the
other way. The only performance degradation is due to the amount of overhead
incurred by the handshaking, which is minimal (a few percent at most, for most
prootcols.

 Additionally, it is also possible to interleave other types of transfer that
can happen at the same time as the up/download. 'CHAT' is a good example. Yes,
it will steal a few cycles fron the up/download, but typing speeds are such
that the degradation is small indeed.

-larry

--
Entymology bugs me.

gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) (03/09/90)

After looking at the new Fish disks, I noticed a program which supports
the XPR protocol.

What is it?

I've also heard rumors of a reasonably neat protocol which allows uploads
and downloads in both directions at once. Has anyone implemented this on
an Amiga? How badly does it slow down transfers?

Curiousity calls.

--
<  FRANK BRANHAM                      | "I exist; therefore I am."             >

In article <6828@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt4662b@prism.gatech.EDU (BRANHAM,JOSEPH FRANKLIN) writes:
>After looking at the new Fish disks, I noticed a program which supports
>the XPR protocol. What is it?

The last batch of Fish Disks includes XPR-Kermit, an XPR-based Kermit,
amiga-tized by myself and Steve Walton.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman