[comp.sys.amiga] AMIGA FORTRAN

EVERHART%ARISIA.decnet@crdgw1.ge.com (09/02/89)

Phil -
  (my comp.sys.amiga feed is messed but I got your note off a BBS...)
Absoft Fortran 2.3 for Amiga is reasonably good and seems to produce
adequate code. I found the limitation of 1024 bytes for direct access
records a bit weird, and if you use OPEN to open a CON: window
you'll need to REWIND the unit before switching from read to
write. Other than that, which I found not too oppressive, I
found no serious problems with it. The source debugger is nice, but
be SURE and put the stuff on ram: if you've got include files! It
seems to sequentially search source code for the material, and
zillions of opens of include files on hard disk, or, worse, floppy,
will drive you nuts REAL fast. In ram: it isn't too bad.
	You have full F77 compatibility; be aware unit 9 is normal
for console though. Also there's a fairly extensive Amiga support
front end if you need it; I used very little of it. So far
AnalytiCalc, Rim, and DeskTop Calendar all ported pretty
easily. Most of the problems were VAX extensions and little-endian
specific stuff that I had in the originals. (On PDP11 and VAX you
can sometimes get away with mixing single byte character and integer
datatypes without explicit ICHAR and CHAR functions, and you can
usually get away with having a subroutine think you're calling
with an Integer*2 where the variable is Integer*4 in the caller.
The 68000 big-endian byte ordering made hash out of that.
	RIM went through almost untouched, and I've found reverse conversions
of several other long problems trivial...mostly just changing
console unit numbers or OPEN statements... Also syntax of INCLUDEs
varies a little.
	Absoft Fortran 2.2a was a REAL pain and had serious bugs. The 2.3
release fixed them. Note: I've found it easiest to compile my
entire sources as one file; your mileage may vary if you compile
lots of stuff separately and rely on the linker more heavily.
RIM was ported on a 3.5MB A1000, to give an idea of the size. It's
pretty reasonable at compile speed too...up to 5000 lines/minute
if I recall correctly, running out of ram:; half that off hard
disk with old file system.
	Since Absoft came out with 2.3 well over a year ago, maybe more
like 2, I should think you'd never see 2.2 these days. I don't
know if they have a later one or not. I complained about the
behavior of opens with con: and got a lengthy and unbelieveable
spiel of the general nature "we can't avoid it" (in spite of which
the 2.2a compiler and runtime did NOT have the problem). They
also gave me the workaround, though, so I got by anyhow. If you
use unit 9 (or *) the problem doesn't occur.
Glenn Everhart
Everhart%Arisia.decnet@crd.ge.com

phil@ingr.com (Phil Johnson) (09/06/89)

In article <23055@louie.udel.EDU> EVERHART%ARISIA.decnet@crdgw1.ge.com writes:

>Absoft Fortran 2.3 for Amiga is reasonably good and seems to produce
>adequate code. I found the limitation of 1024 bytes for direct access
>records a bit weird, and if you use OPEN to open a CON: window
>you'll need to REWIND the unit before switching from read to
>write. Other than that, which I found not too oppressive, I
>found no serious problems with it. The source debugger is nice, but
>be SURE and put the stuff on ram: if you've got include files! It
>seems to sequentially search source code for the material, and
>zillions of opens of include files on hard disk, or, worse, floppy,
>will drive you nuts REAL fast. In ram: it isn't too bad.
>	You have full F77 compatibility; be aware unit 9 is normal
>for console though. Also there's a fairly extensive Amiga support
>front end if you need it; I used very little of it. So far
>AnalytiCalc, Rim, and DeskTop Calendar all ported pretty
>easily. Most of the problems were VAX extensions and little-endian

-- indepth review deleted --

Thanks for the info Glenn.

For those who might not know Glenn Everhart, he is the DECUS (Digital
Equipment Corp. User's Group) VAX librarian (I believe that is the title).
Glenn is responsible for the DECUS Amiga tape and is the author of RIM,
a relational deatabase; AnalytiCalc, A three-dimensional spreadsheet.  Both
of these packages are written in FORTRAN and contain what I consider a very
SUBSTANTIAL amount of code (I don't have my old RIM or AnalytiCalc sources
handy, but can recall an impression of several inches thick).  I have used
both of these packages on a number of DEC platforms over the years and have
recently begun to run AnalytiCal on the Amiga.

I know there are others with experience using FORTRAN on the Amiga and I
appreciate all comments and information.  Thanks again Glenn for the review.

--
Philip E. Johnson                    UUCP:  usenet!ingr!b3!sys_7a!phil
MY words,                           VOICE:  (205) 772-2497

djs4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Daniel J Sabroe) (03/09/90)

		I have a friend who is looking for a Fortran compiler for

	the Amiga.  I'm sure that there must be a few, but I haven't been able

	to find even one.  Can anybody help?

		Copious Gratitute. . .

							Dan.

Dan Sabroe
djs4@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

If you don't want your flag to flap, make it out of some rigid material
that won't flex under moderate pressures corresponding [to] the vortices.
An added benefit of such a flag, if made of a non-flammable material, is
that it may preclude the United States from altering its Constitution.

							      John Berryhill

dedina@cup.portal.com (Michael J Dedina) (03/10/90)

I hear that ABSoft AC/Fortran is a pretty good compiler.  Haven't used
it myself.
-dedina@cup.portal.com