[comp.sys.amiga] Crashes

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (03/09/90)

[ Feed Ann Richards and Jim Mattox to the LineEater! ]

For all of those folks out there who are whining about memory protection
being some sort of fortress against "rogue" programs crashing the
computer, please remember that no known computer system is "crash proof."
As a not so subtle reminder of that, I was using a Vax 8820 today when
it crashed (probably caused accidently by me.)  It has VMS, virtual
memory, memory protection, and a host of ways to make it difficult for
users to do what they want.  But, it crashed just like my Amiga does
when some "rogue" program writes to the wrong place.  I am not knocking
memory protection here (I wish we had some on the Amiga), but let's not
get too carried away.  The Amiga is very useful now without it.  Even
without memory protection, I NEVER want to go back to single-tasking again!
I didn't buy the Amiga for it's great graphics or sound.  I bought it
BECAUSE it multitasks.  No need for SideKick (tm) or Desk Accessory type
kludges.  No need for hardware print spoolers (if you have plenty of RAM.)
My attitude about computers is simple:  "Computers should wait for people,
NOT the other way around!"  If the computer takes any noticeable amount of
time to do something, then I want another window so that I can do other
things while it works.  I almost always have several things going on my
lowly A2000.  What I will do, though, is trash almost any program that
proves to be unreliable or to cause unreliability in my system.  I get
extremely frustrated with even the best of programs if it won't safely
multitask.  (Subtle hint to commercial software developers - if it won't
safely multitask, run off my hard disk, and run without rebooting, it is
VERY unlikely that I will knowingly buy the program!  Is anyone at EA)
listening???)

--

                                                Jim Pritchett

UUCP:  {attctc|texbell}!letni!dms3b1!caleb!jdp
 or    texbell!rwsys!caleb!jdp

In article <8059.AA8059@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>[ Feed Ann Richards and Jim Mattox to the LineEater! ]
>
>For all of those folks out there who are whining about memory protection
>being some sort of fortress against "rogue" programs crashing the
>computer, please remember that no known computer system is "crash proof."

	Well, I do want a rogue program! Where is Rogue, the game! 8^>
	Has anyone heard of an Amiga rogue? Thanks,
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???