[comp.sys.amiga] AnalytiCalc woes

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/20/90)

Well, I just set up the recently posted analyticalc program on my system. I
set everything up like it said, assigned dk: and analyticalcexe:  and ran it.
no matte rwhat I do I get an error 209. The manual doesn't mention error codes
like this at all. Any suggestions ???

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu          CS-> | <-Ph
stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               \|/               I DO ...
72335,1537      (Compuserve)            ?

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/22/90)

Hi. Thank you to everyone who replied to my posting. I found out, as I should
have realized myself, that the error (209) was coming from dos, not analyticalc.
The problem appears to be my hard drive driver (I have a stardrive). The error
is an illegal dos packet type, so I guess the fortran uses some obscure
packet that Microbotics didn't feel the need to support. It seems to occur
when reading support files (math lib perhaps). In any case, I have to reboot
my machine under a stock WB disk to get it to work. If anyone with a stardrive
finds a simple solution to this problem, please let me know. thanks

myb100@csc.anu.oz (02/22/90)

In article <1990Feb21.201610.14251@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu>, stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:
> Hi. Thank you to everyone who replied to my posting. I found out, as I should
> have realized myself, that the error (209) was coming from dos, not analyticalc.
> The problem appears to be my hard drive driver (I have a stardrive). The error
          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> is an illegal dos packet type, so I guess the fortran uses some obscure
> packet that Microbotics didn't feel the need to support. It seems to occur
> when reading support files (math lib perhaps). In any case, I have to reboot
> my machine under a stock WB disk to get it to work. If anyone with a stardrive
> finds a simple solution to this problem, please let me know. thanks

Eek! I have a GVP hardcard (45Meg with controller and 2M RAM) and I get the
same error. (I think that's a different controller to yours-I could be wrong)
I don't mind it being a DOS error, but if it's the hard disk cont.
causing problems....:-(  (I have a 2000, 1.3 and I love multi-tasking)
Rebooting just for the sake of analyticalc....well......I'm not that keen.

`More input!!' please...

> stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu          CS-> | <-Ph
> stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               \|/               I DO ...
> 72335,1537      (Compuserve)            ?

Markus Buchhorn
Mt Stromlo and Siding Spring Observatories, Canberra, Australia
markus@mso.anu.oz.au   -or-   nssdca::psi%mssso::markus

EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (02/23/90)

When I first wrote AnalytiCalc for Amiga, I had to size windows
on screen. (Fortran presents a fairly terrible interface to unearth
the actual screen size.) I assumed it would be used on an interlace
workbench (i.e., that windows in a 640 by 400 screen would be OK).
   If you run one of the older versions of AnalytiCalc on a noninterlace
screen, it will crash in weird ways; error 209 is one of the possible
outcomes. The newer versions ask first whether you have interlace or
non-interlace and size the screen accordingly. By the way, the code
currently assumes that you have the PCCHELP.HLP file in the
current directory; the keypad pictures won't work unless this is
true.
   The most recent version fixes a number of bugs and adds a bit of
speed. I FTP'd it to xanth.cs.odu.edu in the incoming/amiga directory
(files ana*.*) for any who are interested.
   Error 209 is an AmigaDos error code.
   Incidentally, on a 512K Amiga, you should ALWAYS use the noninterlace
screen size for the thing; it's pretty tight and can run out of memory
and act weird if you try using the larger windows.
   You also should in a 512K machine set stack to the default 4000
to ensure THAT doesn't cause it to run out of memory. I'm not
certain what the error 209 is (my Amiga manuals are at home), but it
could also have to do with running out of memory. Extra stuff in
your limited memory WILL screw you up in that little space.
   The version I FTP'd had two sets of executables; one was for
1 meg or larger systems (I did not size it too stringently so
even 1 meg could be tight), and the other for less well endowed
ones. I finally added the original variability of size of the worksheet
into the sources. (It was designed in from the start, but I had
stripped it when converting to Microsoft Fortran 3.13 on an IBM PC
and had not put it back when converting THAT code for AmigaDos.)
The result is that the "bigger" AnalytiCalc can be compiled for
much larger memory use and need not rely on software paging as heavily.
   I don't recall needing any assigns to analyticalcexe: by the way;
I do no such when using it myself. There was some cruft I did to use
Iconx to fire it up off workbench; that works on the test diskette
I made. The only assign it needs is to dk:, and THAT only if the command
files are not in the default directory when you run the program.
Glenn Everhart
Everhart@Arisia.dnet.ge.com

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/24/90)

In article <11886@baldrick.udel.EDU> EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com writes:
>    The most recent version fixes a number of bugs and adds a bit of
> speed. I FTP'd it to xanth.cs.odu.edu in the incoming/amiga directory
> (files ana*.*) for any who are interested.

It's all been combined into /amiga/analyticalc.zoo ...
	...tad

ACH%DHDMPI50.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Achim Bohnet) (03/02/90)

When I tried to get Analyticalc run on my PAL Amiga 2000B
I got an error 209 and the programm exits without closing
the data window. I don't remember the ecact version of
Analitycalc, but it stems from  Fish-disk 230 or so.
The error 209 don't occours when I run my Amiga without
Conman V1.3 and Analyticalc works well as far as I tried
(not much). Perhaps this can help localing the error.

              Achim

Achim Bohnet              Bitnet: Ach@dhdmpi5.bitnet
Bluntschlistrasse 3
6900 Heidelberg
West-Germany

EVERHART@arisia.dnet.ge.com (Glenn Everhart: 215 354 7610 (8*747 7610)) (03/11/90)

AnalytiCalc (Absoft fortran actually) didn't get along at all
well with Conman V1.3 release 1. There has been a later release
of Conman 1.3 (release 2); there may have been even a third release.
The problem does not occur with the later conman releases. The
workaround if you have conman 1.3 release 1 is not to use it as a
con: replacement (ok to use it for a shell replacement if you wish).
The other workaround is to get conman 1.3.2 or later. Has to do with
some packets being rejected by conman that were OK for the real con:
driver. Nothing I tried would allow conman 1.3 release 1 to work with
fortran applications. I suspect it has to do with the rewinds of the
console device Absoft makes necessary.
   The error 209 is probably illegal packet type and is due to conman.
It then acts as if control-C were typed and causes the program to be
aborted.
Glenn