[comp.sys.amiga] Floyd-Steinberg dither

ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) (03/02/90)

Does there exist a graphics converter which will convert Amiga IFF
(HAM, grey or color) into 1 bitplane black & white pic using
Floyd Steinberg dithering instead of ordered dither?   I've only
seen one program so far that will convert AmyColor->1bit which is
MacView.  Unfortunately it uses the ordered dither method which
doesn't look as nice as FS.
    I know that NewTek's DigiView uses FS for it's dither2
mode conversion but it only does color or grey scale which looks
real nice in 16 colors hires but is not applicable to 1 bitplane.

Any suggestions appreciated.

                                           -Viet
                                           vho@ucsd.edu

duncan@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Shan D Duncan) (03/03/90)

From article <8100@sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, by ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho):
> Does there exist a graphics converter which will convert Amiga IFF
> (HAM, grey or color) into 1 bitplane black & white pic using
> Floyd Steinberg dithering instead of ordered dither?   I've only
> seen one program so far that will convert AmyColor->1bit which is
> MacView.  Unfortunately it uses the ordered dither method which
> doesn't look as nice as FS.
>     I know that NewTek's DigiView uses FS for it's dither2
> mode conversion but it only does color or grey scale which looks
> real nice in 16 colors hires but is not applicable to 1 bitplane.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated.
>
>                                            -Viet
>                                            vho@ucsd.edu

You might contact Radical Eye Software - Thomas Rokicki

He has a library called pfilt for use in converting raster images
(IFF) for use in a TeX dvi file.

In the AmigaTeX Manual under Dithering he has:

classic - classic spot dithering
ordered - ordered dither of order n
fs - Floyd-Steinberg error diffusion dither in a serpentine raster
threshold - No dithering simple thresholding operation
smooth - smooth=0 no smoothing 1 = maximum
alpha and beta for presharpening level

also

equalize to max. color differences
nonlinear=xypairs  for example nonlinear[0,1][1,0] would produce
a negitive image.

A program call pfiltview can be used to preview using these
options and an outfile can be saved.

Just the combination of pflit.library and pfiltview make a nice
image modification system.   Very fast.

I've also used a program called xcolor to subtract bitplanes

and tried a program called colorlab, both on fish disks.

The macros by Radical Eye are part of AmigaTeX with Printer
support (extra).

If they sound interesting give him a call, drop him a note, send
him some e-mail, log on to his bbs, talk to him on BIX.  He has
been an amazingly helpful person since I've purchased AmigaTeX.

I have reached tom via e-mail at rokicki@Neon.Stanford.edu

On unix PBMplus (portable bitmaps).

Good luck

-Shan

rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) (03/03/90)

In article <8100@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>Does there exist a graphics converter which will convert Amiga IFF
>(HAM, grey or color) into 1 bitplane black & white pic using
>Floyd Steinberg dithering instead of ordered dither?

If you're thinking of dithering it just to print it out, the printer drivers
for 1.3 have an option to do Floyd Steingberg dithering.

>    I know that NewTek's DigiView uses FS for it's dither2
>mode conversion but it only does color or grey scale which looks
>real nice in 16 colors hires but is not applicable to 1 bitplane.

I forget what restrictions/limitations it has on it, though.  That information
is given in the manual for the "Amiga Enhancer" upgrade to 1.3.

>Any suggestions appreciated.

Ok.  HEY COMMODORE!!!  HOW ABOUT A "A2640", 50MHz, 68040 board, that can hold
up to 8Mb of RAM, (that you can get with 0K installed), and with a
daughterboard expansion bus, that you can put, say, 3 boards on, for up to
256Mb of RAM!!!

What are you staring at me like that for, Dave???  I don't expect it TOMORROW!!!

Next week would be nice, though!  :-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Seriously, I hope that Commodore is at least looking into making a 68040 board,
and down the line, a 68040 system (with 32-bit graphics/sound chips, etc.)

Also, here's an idea for some hardware company.  How about a DMA Hard Disk
controller/Memory expansion card that connects to the A2630's daughtercard
connection?  Make it so that it can do either 16-bit or 32-bit DMA, depending
on whether it's talking to the Zorro II bus or the A2630 daughterboard.

Not being a hardware expert, I have no idea how difficult this would be, so
don't flame me, but I was wondering, would it be worth it?

OH!!!! You meant suggestions about using Floyd Steinberg dithering!!! OOPS!!!
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

--
"We may have come over here in different ships,
 but we're all in the same boat now."   --   Jesse Jackson                   //

allen@grebyn.com (Allen Farrington) (03/03/90)

For what its worth:

The Amiga printer device supports the 1-bit F-S algo.  At
least there's a selection for it in Prefs.

  --Allen

--
|------------------------------------------|
|------------------------------------------|                    -Mr. Spock

In article <32384@auc.UUCP> rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:

>Ok.  HEY COMMODORE!!!  HOW ABOUT A "A2640", 50MHz, 68040 board, that can hold
>up to 8Mb of RAM, (that you can get with 0K installed), and with a
>daughterboard expansion bus, that you can put, say, 3 boards on, for up to
>256Mb of RAM!!!

First of all, you'll probably have a long wait for 50MHz 68040s.  And if you
wanted an A2000 Coprocessor card with an '040 on it, it could be done.  But
the amount of room extra on the thing, like for memory and all, would be
less than what you get today on an A2630.  And that only have room for 4 megs.
At least based on the same level of board technology.  And the daughterboard
connector isn't a general purpose expansion bus, it's designed for a single
memory card.  And purposely so.

>Next week would be nice, though!  :-):-):-):-):-):-):-)

Hey, I'd love one.  You'll have to convince Commodore, however.

>Also, here's an idea for some hardware company.  How about a DMA Hard Disk
>controller/Memory expansion card that connects to the A2630's daughtercard
>connection?

Sorry, the A2630 daughtercard connector doesn't support DMA.  It is really
designed just for memory/cache memory.

>Rodney Ricks,   Morehouse College                                        \/

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

FOR DAVE HAYNIE:

In article <9987@cbmvax.commodore.com> daveh@cbmvax (Dave Haynie) writes:
>In article <32384@auc.UUCP> rar@auc.UUCP (Rodney Ricks) writes:
>
>>Ok.  HEY COMMODORE!!!  HOW ABOUT A "A2640", 50MHz, 68040 board, that can hold
>>up to 8Mb of RAM, (that you can get with 0K installed), and with a
>>daughterboard expansion bus, that you can put, say, 3 boards on, for up to
>>256Mb of RAM!!!
>
>First of all, you'll probably have a long wait for 50MHz 68040s.  And if you
>wanted an A2000 Coprocessor card with an '040 on it, it could be done.  But
>the amount of room extra on the thing, like for memory and all, would be
>less than what you get today on an A2630.  And that only have room for 4 megs.
>At least based on the same level of board technology.  And the daughterboard
>connector isn't a general purpose expansion bus, it's designed for a single
>>Rodney Ricks,   Morehouse College                                        \/
>

>--
>Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
>   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: hazy     BIX: hazy
>                    Too much of everything is just enough

	Dave, I was wondering if you could explain why Commodore had a
big logo in the Motorola list of 68040 developers if Commodore isn't
working on a 68040 Amiga? I'm sure Commodore had to pay to be a
developer!
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

choinski@primerd.prime.com (03/08/90)

||ln63wkp@sdcc4.UUCP asks
||Does there exist a graphics converter which will convert Amiga IFF
||(HAM, grey or color) into 1 bitplane black & white pic using
||Floyd Steinberg dithering instead of ordered dither?   I've only
||seen one program so far that will convert AmyColor->1bit which is
||MacView.  Unfortunately it uses the ordered dither method which
||doesn't look as nice as FS.

I a related note, does anyone have or know the algorythm (sp?) for the FS
dither?  I have an IFF->XBM program that I wrote that uses a "kinda"
ordered dither, but an FS would probably look much better.  If you
know the general procedure, please mail it to me.  Thanks!

-============================================================================-
 Burton Choinski                                       choinski@env.prime.com
   Prime Computer, Inc.                                  (508) 879-2960 x3233
   Framingham, Ma.  01701
 Disclaimer:  Hey, not me man; musta been my evil twin.
-============================================================================-

                                           -Viet
                                           vho@ucsd.edu
/* End of text from primerd:comp.sys.amiga */

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (03/08/90)

In article <8100@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>Does there exist a graphics converter which will convert Amiga IFF
>(HAM, grey or color) into 1 bitplane black & white pic using
>Floyd Steinberg dithering instead of ordered dither?

The Art Department by ASDG will do this quite nicely. TAD will be released
in April.

pk

--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc. ``We look for things. Things that make us go.''
	UUCP:  {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/10/90)

>In article <8100@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>>Does there exist a graphics converter which will convert Amiga IFF
>>(HAM, grey or color) into 1 bitplane black & white pic using
>>Floyd Steinberg dithering instead of ordered dither?

On a related note : has anyone finished porting the Fuzzy Bit Map set to the
Amiga yet ??  That would solve ALL these problems well..

Canadian Engineer Sees Face Of Bigfoot In a Tostada.

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568

dwl10@uts.amdahl.com (Dave Lowrey) (03/11/90)

In article <25f7bc64:5431.6comp.sys.amiga;1@tronsbox.UUCP> tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) writes:
>>In article <8100@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) writes:
>>>Does there exist a graphics converter which will convert Amiga IFF
>>>(HAM, grey or color) into 1 bitplane black & white pic using
>>>Floyd Steinberg dithering instead of ordered dither?
>
>On a related note : has anyone finished porting the Fuzzy Bit Map set to the
>Amiga yet ??  That would solve ALL these problems well..

Yes, It appeared in comp.binaries.amiga this week. It DOES do various     ***
dithering, including F-S.

Once I figured out how to use the FBM programs with IFF correctly
(What? You mean IFF DOESN't support 28 bits???), it works fine.

Many thanks to all of the "net-folks" who responded to my plea for help.
--
"This ain't Rock 'N Roll, |  These be my words, not my employer's!
 this is Genocide!"       |Dave Lowrey - Amdahl Corp. - Houston, TX