[comp.sys.amiga] MSH disk errors & text conversion...

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett L. Kessler) (03/06/90)

I got MSH from an FTP site the other day, and followed all of the
discussion here about it.  Thankfully, on the first try, it worked
like a charm.  (Thanks c.s.a. posters!)  There is a problem with MSH,
however, that I'm curious about.

I formatted a brand new disk using MessyFmt accepting all the
defaults, etc.  I copied files to and from it, and it was fine.  When
I tried to use the files on a PS/2 Model 50, it worked fine... until I
tried to delete some files.  Then MS-DOS gave me a "Bad FAT" error.

I formatted a different disk on a different Model 50, and it worked
fine.  I put some files onto it, then went to my Amiga.  When I tried
to read some files off of it, MessyDOS gave me a disk error.

I don't know if these problems are related or not, but has anybody
else encountered something like this?  (I don't have DOS-2-DOS or
CrossDOS to try with them.)

And a related problem deals with ASCII conversion.  An AmigaDOS ASCII
file (each line ended by hitting RETURN) when sent to MS-DOS, the CR's
have all changed to LF's.  Is there a quickie program to get around
this?

+------///-+------------------| BRETT KESSLER |------------------+-\\\------+
|     ///  |         consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu          |  \\\     |
| \\\///   |              consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                |   \\\/// |
|  \XX/    |              (PeopleLink)  B.KESSLER                |    \XX/  |
+----------+-----------------------------------------------------+----------+

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (03/07/90)

In article <3094@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett L. Kessler) writes:

> I formatted a brand new disk using MessyFmt accepting all the
> defaults, etc.  I copied files to and from it, and it was fine.  When
> I tried to use the files on a PS/2 Model 50, it worked fine... until I
> tried to delete some files.  Then MS-DOS gave me a "Bad FAT" error.
>
> I formatted a different disk on a different Model 50, and it worked
> fine.  I put some files onto it, then went to my Amiga.  When I tried
> to read some files off of it, MessyDOS gave me a disk error.
>
> I don't know if these problems are related or not, but has anybody
> else encountered something like this?  (I don't have DOS-2-DOS or
> CrossDOS to try with them.)

I don't know if you can use Dos2Dos to decide who is at fault
here.  I used messyfmt to format a disk, and Dos2Dos gave me a
"read" error with the disk.  BUT I had no problem reading, writing,
or deleting files from that disk on an AT clone.  Nor did
MessyDos give me an error when I used the new files from the
clone.

> And a related problem deals with ASCII conversion.  An AmigaDOS ASCII
> file (each line ended by hitting RETURN) when sent to MS-DOS, the CR's
> have all changed to LF's.  Is there a quickie program to get around
> this?

Ah, the infamous "what is the signal for end-of-line on _this_
machine?" problem.  Is it CR? LF? or both? It depends on which
machine and which software package you are using.  In general
(and I will probably get hit for this) end-of-line is LF
on the Amiga (even though you depress a key labeled RETURN) and
end-of-line is CR+LF with MS-DOS.

In any case, you need a couple of utilities to add and strip
CRs from files.  There are many.  I use Matt Dillon's 'addcr'
and 'remcr' which are available on Fish 168/169.  One disk
contains the executables, I can't remember which.

Ken
--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (03/07/90)

A side note on MSDOS disks on the Amiga.  Most high density (e.g. 1.44MB)
floppy drives are *not* guarenteed to write reliably to 720K disks that
will later be read on older, non-high density drives.  This could be one
cause of problems people have going from the PC back to the Amiga.

In my experience, the low density drive can read the file written on the
hd drive 95% of the time, but it can still fail.  When I have a time
constraint, I make two copies on two different disks.

consp11@bingsunm.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett Kessler) (03/08/90)

In article <90066.074631UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee
Sailer) writes:
> In my experience, the low density drive can read the file written on the
> hd drive 95% of the time, but it can still fail.  When I have a time
> constraint, I make two copies on two different disks.

Am I understanding this correctly?  Does this mean that a regular density disk
(ie: DS/DD) written on a high density drive will get read/write errors more
frequently than those written on a regular density drive?  Or am I
misunderstanding
the above message?

And if I _am_ understanding it correctly, is there any reason for it?

+-------///--------------------| BRETT KESSLER |--------------------\\\-------+
|      ///       E-Mail to: consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu       \\\      |
|     ///         or try: consp11@bingsuns.pod.binghamton.edu         \\\     |
| \\\///                and to: consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                \\\/// |
|  \XX/                   or on PeopleLink: B.KESSLER                   \XX/  |

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (03/09/90)

In article <3104@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, consp11@bingsunm.cc.binghamton.edu
(Brett Kessler) says:

>Am I understanding this correctly?  Does this mean that a regular density disk
>(ie: DS/DD) written on a high density drive will get read/write errors more
>frequently than those written on a regular density drive?  Or am I

Nearly right.  It will get more r/w errors when used in a regular drive.
It should work fine in a high density drive.  The reason I've been told is
that the high density drives lay down a narrower, more precisely positioned
pattern of magnetic signals, and the lower density drives are sometimes
not sensitive enough or aligned accurately enough to pick them up.

Look in an official IBM Msdos manual, version 3.30, to see the official
warning.  See the FORMAT command.

                                 lee

costello@eplrx7.uucp (Tim Costello) (03/10/90)

From article <90066.074631UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, by UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer):
> A side note on MSDOS disks on the Amiga.  Most high density (e.g. 1.44MB)
> floppy drives are *not* guarenteed to write reliably to 720K disks that
> will later be read on older, non-high density drives.  This could be one
> cause of problems people have going from the PC back to the Amiga.
>
> In my experience, the low density drive can read the file written on the
> hd drive 95% of the time, but it can still fail.  When I have a time
> constraint, I make two copies on two different disks.

	To further this confusing issue...my experience with this problem
(going between 1.44M and 720K drives) has been that disks fomatted to 720K
in the 1.44M drive have never failed when read in a different 720K drive.
The reverse (formatting with the 720K drive) has been much more problematic.

	I've seen this problem both with going from PC to PC and PC to Amiga.
I qualify this with saying that I haven't gotten MSH up and running yet.

	Of course, your mileage may vary.

--
Tim Costello
Du Pont

consp11@bingsunm.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett Kessler) writes:

|In article <90066.074631UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee
|Sailer) writes:
|> In my experience, the low density drive can read the file written on the
|> hd drive 95% of the time, but it can still fail.  When I have a time
|> constraint, I make two copies on two different disks.

|Am I understanding this correctly?  Does this mean that a regular density disk
|(ie: DS/DD) written on a high density drive will get read/write errors more
|frequently than those written on a regular density drive?  Or am I
|misunderstanding
|the above message?

What the problem most likely x%is that the High Density drive has a
narrower head, and so it writes a narrower track on the disk, even when
writing a 720K diskette.

So when you take the 720K disk written in a HD drive and try to read it in
a normal 720K drive, you have a wider head trying to read the data off of a
narrower track than it is used to, and it may get errors.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406