[comp.sys.amiga] Canonical list

UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer) (03/09/90)

In article <1910@clyde.concordia.ca>, stefan@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ
stefan) says:

  VIEWING NON WB FILES

>    1. Browser: allows one to view directories, copy files, etc, a la MAC
>plus all kind of goodies that a multitaking OS offers. Launch a task simply
>by clicking on the file name (even projects!!).

I use one of the disk utility programs, DU III by soembody, I forget.
serves the same purpose without cluttering up the screen with lots of
little windows.  With FACCII installed, it switches from dir to dir very
quickly.

>    2. Snap: cut and paste ANY stype font from ANY window on ANY screen.
>Beautiful, transparent, easy...

I've got it, but rarely have a use for it.  In fact, I've never used it since
I installed it.  I vote NO for snap as canonical USEFUL software.  Neat, yes.

>    3. ARP1.3: Replaces most AmigaDos commands with smaller more powerful
>ones. Very easily installable.

    I vote YES.

>    4. VirusX: Kills viruses dead! get it if you do more than play games.

    YES, again

WINDOW and SCREEN MANIPULATION
>    5. Switcher: Jump from 1 screen to another easily.  Has a bunch of
>nice options...

    I use dmouse to jump from screen to screen, and get mouse speedup,
screen blanking, and a popcli, too.  Never heard of switcher.

USER AGENTS  (eg script languages)
>    6. Scripit: Does what Arexx does, without Arexx headaches!!! A must!

        Does NOT do what AREXX does!!  Does something else that is
     just as useful, though.  And now, here comes TCL.

>        ...to be continued (someone pick up the ball)

TERMINAL EMULATORS

VT100 a solid package, and VLT for extra graphics power.

TEXT EDITORS

Whatever the official name of micro Gnu Emac was changed too.

DATABASE

There isn't one

SPREADSHEET

How's the new version of ANALYTICALC working??

WORD PROCESSORS

Well, there's proff for people who like that kind of thing.  (Me, for
example, but not my wife and certainly not my eight-year old 8-)

WYSIWYG WORD PROCESSORS

I don't know of one.  I wish there was a simple one.  Textra seems like
a nice jumping off point, but I don't believe the source is available.
Perhaps one of the older, obsolete-ish products would consider going
PD, or at least shareware.

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (03/10/90)

From article <90068.091247UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, by UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer):
> In article <1910@clyde.concordia.ca>, stefan@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ
> stefan) says:
>>
>>    2. Snap: cut and paste ANY stype font from ANY window on ANY screen.
>>Beautiful, transparent, easy...
>

> I've got it, but rarely have a use for it.  In fact, I've never used it since
> I installed it.  I vote NO for snap as canonical USEFUL software.  Neat, yes.

     Snap is really handy if you work with text a lot.  Assume you're
working from the CLI.  You want to delete a number of files from a
directory whose contents you've just displayed.  First choice, obviously,
is to construct a pattern that will hit just the files you want to delete.
Unfortunately, these files don't have a common pattern.  Next step is to
use snap to pick up the file names from the DIR display and put them on the
command line.

     Or maybe you're working on a program.  You want to copy a structure
definition from one of the include files.  More lets you read the include
file easily.  You find the structure definition.  Use Snap to frame it,
then insert it into the source file you are working on with your text
editor.

     Snap (or somethine that does the same thing) should be included in
version 1.4 of Workbench.  It's really a super program.

     Snap does have some bugs that need to be worked out.  It doesn't
always insert a lot of text properly.  Snapping several graphic images in a
row has crashed my system repeatedly.  But with those problems corrected it
really should be part of the OS.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

In <861@jc3b21.UUCP>, fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>From article <90068.091247UH2@psuvm.psu.edu>, by UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer):
>> In article <1910@clyde.concordia.ca>, stefan@sherlock.cs.concordia.ca (BUCHHOLZ
>> stefan) says:
>>>
>>>    2. Snap: cut and paste ANY stype font from ANY window on ANY screen.
>>>Beautiful, transparent, easy...
>>

>> I've got it, but rarely have a use for it.  In fact, I've never used it since
>> I installed it.  I vote NO for snap as canonical USEFUL software.  Neat, yes.
>
>     Snap is really handy if you work with text a lot.
> [ more pro-Snap stuff deleted ...]

I agree, wholeheartedly and unreservedly.  Snap (and prior to that, Snipit),
are useful beyond measure.  As Fabbian points out, you can grab filenames for
other commands, text to insert into editors, and so on. My favourite use is as
an online tool. Forget to have capture on? No problem, Snap it and paste it
somewhere. Want to fill in something in a message? Snap it and paste it into
your terminal window. No fuss, no muss, and it's accurate, withiout having to
rely on your memory to get some fragment of code exactly right or mess with an
editor to make a file with just what you want in it.

Got screens that have text that can't be captured into a file? Snap will do it,
and if for some reason it won't Snap text from that screen, Snap it as
graphics, and you can usually Snap the text from the captured image.

Handy? Useful? I have purposely understated the case.

Hmm.. and I have all these Ginsu knives too....  :-)

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.