[comp.sys.amiga] Help! Hard disk failure!

In <9003120501.AA00838@astro.psu.edu>, antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:
>Hello!  It happens again.  The story this time:  I was doing a foolish
>thing-- just running all these different little routines to see what
>they did... one was called colortext, I don't remember the name of the
>other, plus as usual I had virusx4.0, qmouse, and gomf3.0 running.  I
>have a hard drive.  Suddenly, the system gurued and now I cannot bring
>up the hard drive!
>  I can boot up without the drive perfectly, and the clearscsi command
>works quite well.  However, when I go to MOUNT any of the partitions,
>the system gurus.  I forget the meditation number (would it help?)
>I tried the mount command off two different disks, in case one had been
>corrupted in the crash.  No such luck.
>  So, please HELP!  How can I get my harddrive to mount?

If you have a line in your Mountlist that says 'Mount = 1', it means that the
drive will be fully mounted and accessible to the system. When this happens,
the validator gets a chance to do its thing, and there are a number of possible
errors that will bring the system down. The answer is to remove the line from
the Mountlist (commenting it out is fine), and the drive should mount without
the validator. You can then use the available tools (DiskSalv, Sectorama,
DEdit, etc) to attampt recovery.

>And please email only, why bother everyone else with something this
>unlikely.   Thank you!                sandy

It's not all that unlikey or uncommon.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) (03/12/90)

Hello!  It happens again.  The story this time:  I was doing a foolish
thing-- just running all these different little routines to see what
they did... one was called colortext, I don't remember the name of the
other, plus as usual I had virusx4.0, qmouse, and gomf3.0 running.  I
have a hard drive.  Suddenly, the system gurued and now I cannot bring
up the hard drive!
  I can boot up without the drive perfectly, and the clearscsi command
works quite well.  However, when I go to MOUNT any of the partitions,
the system gurus.  I forget the meditation number (would it help?)
I tried the mount command off two different disks, in case one had been
corrupted in the crash.  No such luck.
  So, please HELP!  How can I get my harddrive to mount?

And please email only, why bother everyone else with something this
unlikely.   Thank you!                sandy
Sandy Antunes                                antunes@astro.psu.edu
"The Hermit of Waupelani"               CBA:  Center for Bad Astrophysics