[comp.sys.amiga] PASCAL NEEDED! HELP!

cs121jj@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (03/05/90)

Where can I find a pascal compiler for the Amiga?  Either PD, ShareWare or
store-bought?  I don't care where, but I just need one and soon (the sooner
the better)!  Thanks in advance.

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/06/90)

[ This is just about the last of the sophomoric line eater thingies...]

MetaCompCo markets a Pascal Compiler that works.  I don't know how good
it is, though.  I bought the 0.9 revisions that wouldn't access *any*
ROM stuff.  No graphics, no windows...nothing!  The latest is Revision
2.0 that is supposed to support all of the ROM code and libraries and
structures and stuff.  I haven't seen a review of 2.0 but there was one
from several years ago on 1.25 which had some support of the ROM.

Hope this semi-sentient rambling helps.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

PS.  I could be persueaded to part with my upgrade-able 0.9 Rev version
for $50.  Includes information on the upgrade to 1.25!  But a better deal
is to order it from the Software Shop (1-800-752-0050).  They list it for
$95.  7-Day Software has UCSD-Pascal for $249/449.  All this from the
March Amiga World.

{ No, I don't work for any of those companies.  I can't even spell the
word!   werk!  werk!  werk!                               }

kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu (Kent D. Polk) (03/07/90)

In article <27600@cup.portal.com> FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) writes:
>[ This is just about the last of the sophomoric line eater thingies...]
>
>MetaCompCo markets a Pascal Compiler that works.  I don't know how good
>structures and stuff.  I haven't seen a review of 2.0 but there was one
>from several years ago on 1.25 which had some support of the ROM.

MCC Pascal is not worth buying. It can barely compile even simple
Pascal programs. 2.0 finally got 'with' to where is was handling
offsets correctly, but several other major bugs are still in there.

I have sent in bug reports, but never, except for my first (for
1.25) have I received a reply, much less a fix.

>PS.  I could be persueaded to part with my upgrade-able 0.9 Rev version
>for $50.  Includes information on the upgrade to 1.25!  But a better deal

1.25 is severly broken. In short, MCC Pascal never got the the point
where it could even be used in a Data Structures I class without lots
of nasty work-arounds (I know cause I did those nasty workarounds).

Kent Polk - Southwest Research Institute - kent@swrinde.nde.swri.edu
        Motto : "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing"

mapjilg@bath.ac.uk (J I L Gold) (03/07/90)

I don't know about Pascal but there is at least one Modula 2 compiler
for Ami, and Modula 2 is only slightly different from Pascal in most
respects.
--
#  J.Gold                            |    mapjilg@uk.ac.bath.gdr               #
#  University of Bath , UK           |    jilg@uk.ac.bath.maths                #

FelineGrace@cup.portal.com (Dana B Bourgeois) (03/10/90)

I took my data structures class using MCC Pascal 0.9!!  Don't tell
anybody but the last four of the six programming problems we had to
do didn't work.  I used to work with a guy who had TurboPascal on
a mac  and we would get something running there.  Then I would cobble
up some Input and output hardcopy that looked real.  The programs I
wrote would compile but they always seemed to crash or srite over
themselves.  I had one that only worked when I put print statements
every few lines.  Depending on where I put them, I could get just
about any type of exception I wanted.

Dana Bourgeois @ cup.portal.com

Where there's a will, there's cheating!!  Don't use anything less
than MCC Pascal 2.0!!  (and maybe not even that!!)

This horror story brought to you by:  Me!

GWO110%URIACC.BITNET@brownvm.brown.edu (F. Michael Theilig) (03/12/90)

     I have been using PCQ from a fish disk circa 220.  It has problems,
 but it works and it's free.

/*  "Come see the violence inherent in the system!"

      F. Michael Theilig  -  The University of Rhode Island at Little Rest
                            GWO110 at URIACC.Bitnet

                                        "Help!  Help!  I'm being Repressed!" */