[comp.sys.amiga] Software

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- Resident E-mail Hack) (01/19/88)

Pardon the wide distribution, but 1) this is one of those sweeping
subjects that affects everyone, and 2) it doesn't cost the net anything
extra to cross post.  If you follow up, please make sure and include
all the newsgroups in the follow-up ... I don't read most of the
newsgroups listed above.

Anyway ... in comp.sys.amiga right now we've got this discussion
going on about the evils of software piracy.  It started (I think)
in a discussion about a particular virus that's hit the Amiga world
and propogates itself into the boot blocks of disks.   But that's
not important right now.

There have been a number of statements on both sides of the issue
about copying software.  It's easy to do and gives people free
software; it's evil and raises software costs; keeps companies from
investing efforts and money into a product; ad nauseum.  I'm sure
you've heard the arguments before.

But really ... what is the BEST solution?  This problem exists
in a greater context than just computer software.  It exists
in the music industry, movies, books, databases, and so forth.
The point is that this technology we've been building has
made it ridiculously easy to make duplicates of things.  The
technology has even become good enough that we can now make
duplicates that are as good as the originals.  And going further
(beyond what I want to cover right now) we can even muck with
our duplicate and add in new things or change what's there.

Such a context destroys the assumptions which surrounded the
design of our patent/copyright law.  Namely that the difficulty
in making duplicates of things behooved would-be publishers
to obtain the help of the author before doing the publishing.

Regardless of how you feel about yourselves ... you may be very
upright moral people and would never think about violating
intellectual property rights ... there are people out in the
world who feel differently about these things.  It's their
computer and they don't want to give control over it to
some other program/they don't see the point of paying $100
for a floppy disk/they like getting away with whatever they
can possibly get away with/whatever.

This is a subject which comes up repeatadly.  There is no
solution within the current rules of patent/copyright law
because there is no possible enforcement.  (And don't tell
me about copy protection schemes ... I have never seen one
which did not leave as good a product afterwards ... i.e.
you either have a more difficult product to use, or it's
buggier ... This even applies to other media, books printed
in blue so they can't be xerox'd, vhs tapes with macrovision
encoding that makes the picture a little bit worse and doesn't
even work in all vhs players, the proposed copy protection
for DAT tapes that'd take out a notch from the audio spectrum
needlessly, ad nauseum)

Please ... I plea for one of two things.

Either 1) you shut up 'cause the subject has already been haggled
	out in many newsgroups already nobody has come up with
	a satisfactory solution.
       2) You come up with something original to add.

       People who are interested in where I'm coming from read:

       The various writings of Richard Stallman about the Free Software
       Foundation.

       The July '85 issue of Whole Earth Review.  It's the one with
       the picture on the front of 3 flying saucers flying through
       downtown San Francisco, and has a couple of articles about
       digital retouching of photography.  The article raises most
       of the points I'm thinking about right now.

       A book by Stewart Brand called _The_Media_Lab_.  You'll find
       it in your local book sellers ... it's non fiction, black cover,
       a white light holography on the front cover.  The book is
       about the MIT Media Lab and the work they're doing with making
       a new media and re-designing how people live with technology
       and so forth.  It's also made me really want to work in the
       media lab for awhile ... :-)

       I don't see how the current system can continue functioning
       for very long.  Some new sort of software (and other intellectual
       property) distribution system will have to be constructed
       before very long.  Possibly as part of the coming economic
       crash which will likely be here after the elections?

       Shareware was a good idea in this regard.
--
<---- David Herron -- The E-Mail guy            <david@ms.uky.edu>
<---- or:                {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) (01/20/88)

Ok, I'll come up with something original.
The problem is capitalism.

I hope this doesn't make me sound like a dogmatic Marxist (I am neither),
but I still feel that capitalism is the problem: people want money back in
return for their efforts, and aren't satisfied with fame or esteem or whatever
else.
Now, that is reasonable if you make 'hardware': a knife is a knife even if
you don't want to share it. But, it doesn't work for ideas. If I write a
beautiful song, but I don't sing it (or, preferrably, let others sing it:-)
in public, I might as well not have written it in the first place. It's value
is in publication.
The same is true for books, philosophies, ideas and (to a certain extent)
software. In this case, I mean the type of software that everyone copies:
games, utilities, all the nifty stuff that you would probably not buy
otherwise. It is probably different for a tailored account program for a big
firm (but who would want to copy that).

I think the GNU people are on the right track: give the software away free,
so that people become to know and love it, and if you want to make money
you charge for other things: support, documentation, training, etc.

--
	Jack Jansen, jack@cwi.nl (or jack@mcvax.uucp)
	The shell is my oyster.

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (01/21/88)

In article <174@piring.cwi.nl>, jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:

> I hope this doesn't make me sound like a dogmatic Marxist (I am neither),
> but I still feel that capitalism is the problem: people want money back in
> return for their efforts, and aren't satisfied with fame or esteem or whatever
> else.

Hard to buy a house with esteem or fame...same goes for lunch.  You
can't eat money...

> Now, that is reasonable if you make 'hardware': a knife is a knife even if
> you don't want to share it. But, it doesn't work for ideas....
> In this case, I mean the type of software that everyone copies:
> games, utilities, all the nifty stuff that you would probably not buy
> otherwise.

Nope.  Software is not an idea any more than a knife.  You can have
and idea about "knife", but the application of that idea, involving
resource (materials, energy, tools, skill,...) is all tied up in
producing the knife.  A program (game, utility, demo, whatever) needs
not only the initial concept (idea), but the programmer's tools for
development, hardware to run said tools, time, ...  This doesn't cover
overhead such as shelter, food, and whatnot.  Who's going to suport
me while I'm producing this thing, whatever it is?  (Usually, I
work full-time for someone else and do it in my spare time.  Whatever
*that* is.)

> It is probably different for a tailored account program for a big
> firm (but who would want to copy that).

Why? (Not about copying it!! :} )

> I think the GNU people are on the right track: give the software away free,
> so that people become to know and love it, and if you want to make money
> you charge for other things: support, documentation, training, etc.

People seem to value something more-or-less in proportion to what
it cost them (in money, time effort, whatever).  Note the general
treatment of shareware: People get it for free (or for minimal effort)
and very seldom do those who keep and use it ever pay *anything* for
it.  Which, besides being unfair, is dishonest.

The GNU people (particularly Mr. Stallman) might not continue with
their idealistic ways if they had no other source of income beside
the software that they're working on.  (Who's paying their bills?)
Is TANSTAAFL false?  (Seems to work most everywhere else, except
in politics.)

On the other hand, as a technical writer, I think that charging lots
for documentation is a pretty nifty idea...as long as I get my cut.
(Comes the revolution, comrade...!)  But who needs much documentation,
support, training, etc. for "Defender of the Crown"?  If such were
really needed and used, do you have any idea of the size and cost
of a really useful support organization?  (Hint:  >>More than what
is currently needed to write, package, market and distribute the
product as it currently stands.)

Nice-sounding idea, except that software is more than just an
idea...

mcb@oddjob.UChicago.EDU (He Who Passes Through Locked Doors) (01/21/88)

In article <174@piring.cwi.nl> jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:
>I hope this doesn't make me sound like a dogmatic Marxist (I am neither),
>but I still feel that capitalism is the problem: people want money back in
>return for their efforts, and aren't satisfied with fame or esteem or whatever
>else.

Very nice in principle, but:
	1) Do you have any idea how much work goes into even things like
	   games and utilities?  (10 man years for Falcon, God knows how much
	   for something like MPW).
	2) Have you ever tried to buy groceries with fame or esteem or whatever?

Writing good software is a full-time profession.  People not only won't, but
CAN'T do it if you don't pay them to.  Most people don't need support for
things like games and utilities- the only way to make money writing this kind
of software is to sell the software.  Copyright laws exist to allow people
who write such software to make a living doing so.  If the laws didn't exist,
neither would the software.
					-Matt

--
Matt Bamberger			"You think that because you understand _one_,
1005 E. 60th St., #346		 you understand _two_, because one and one

chekmate@athena.mit.edu (Adam Kao) (01/21/88)

In article <14257@oddjob.UChicago.EDU> mcb@oddjob.uchicago.edu.UUCP (He Who Passes Through Locked Doors) writes:
>In article <174@piring.cwi.nl> jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:
>> .
>> .
>> .
> .
> .
> .
>					-Matt

Please, please, please, let the Net Gods smile and get this out of
these newsgroups.  This is an extremely complex issue and you can't do
justice to it by saying "Programmers gotta eat" (who said they
couldn't?).  There are a million things I want to say but I can't say
them unless we move this discussion to alt.flame because that's
exactly what this is turning into.

Adam

speegle@im4u.UUCP (Greg Speegle) (01/21/88)

I'm new to this discussion so this maybe an old answer, but I think that
part of the problem is the cost of the software. Suppose someone wants the
new hot shot program "Foo Bars Baz", but doesn't feel like it is worth
$50,$100, or $500, so he waits and hopes the price will come down. Then
someone he knows offers to copy it for him. What does he do? He wants the
software, would really rather buy it, but here it is free and easy.
The odds are very high that he will have it copied and go on. Now what
would have happened if the software had originally cost only $10? The
person would have probably bought it when he first saw it. I have no
idea if any software product could turn a profit at $10 a pop, but the
high prices of software are a contributing factor. For example, nobody
ever copies something out of a $3 paperback, but many $50 textbooks
have parts copied out of them all the time. I feel like most people are
basically honest (Were did I get the rose colored glasses? :-) ) and
will buy things and pay the appropriate price, if the price is what
they consider to be reasonable.

Of course, even if I'm right, I don't know a good solution. I hope
that software houses aren't making obscene profits on their stuff,
so I would think that lowering the price would be almost impossible.
Oh well, at least this can be food for thought.

Greg Speegle
--
{seismo,ihnp4,pyramid}!ut-sally!speegle		speegle@sally.utexas.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/22/88)

> Ok, I'll come up with something original.
> The problem is capitalism.
>
> I hope this doesn't make me sound like a dogmatic Marxist (I am neither),
> but I still feel that capitalism is the problem: people want money back in
> return for their efforts, and aren't satisfied with fame or esteem or whatever
> else.

Odd, isn't it?  Some people actually want to pay the rent, and save for
their retirement, and go on vacation occasionally.

A company I used to work for had a General Manager who told us one day
that working in Engineering was different from Marketing or Sales because
there was "psychic income" from being creative.  Alas, stores don't accept
"psychic income" in exchange for tangible goods.

> Now, that is reasonable if you make 'hardware': a knife is a knife even if
> you don't want to share it. But, it doesn't work for ideas. If I write a
> beautiful song, but I don't sing it (or, preferrably, let others sing it:-)
> in public, I might as well not have written it in the first place. It's value
> is in publication.

Huh?  If your motivation is fame or esteem, very true.  But most people are
motivated by a desire to live a more comfortable life -- not to be center
stage.

> The same is true for books, philosophies, ideas and (to a certain extent)
> software. In this case, I mean the type of software that everyone copies:
> games, utilities, all the nifty stuff that you would probably not buy
> otherwise. It is probably different for a tailored account program for a big
> firm (but who would want to copy that).

Wrong.  The stuff that gets pirated include word processors, spreadsheets,
data base managers -- that's why there's a major industry producing books
about the more popular software products that replicate the content of the
manuals -- frequently with no other additions.

> I think the GNU people are on the right track: give the software away free,
> so that people become to know and love it, and if you want to make money
> you charge for other things: support, documentation, training, etc.
>
> 	Jack Jansen, jack@cwi.nl (or jack@mcvax.uucp)

But if esteem and fame are enough for software, why not support, documentation
and training?  What makes software different from these other categories of
human endeavor?

Clayton E. Cramer

dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) (01/22/88)

In article <174@piring.cwi.nl> jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:
>I hope this doesn't make me sound like a dogmatic Marxist (I am neither),
>but I still feel that capitalism is the problem: people want money back in
>return for their efforts, and aren't satisfied with fame or esteem or whatever
>else.

Wanting money back in return for efforts, and/or not being satisfied
with fame or esteem, has nothing to do with capitalism.  This belongs
in the realm of psychology.

Capitalism has more to do with whether it's legal to obtain money in
return for one's efforts.  The GNU project fits perfectly in a
capitalistic system, as does shareware and public domain software, as
does commercial software.
--
Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee,uunet}!bsu-cs!dhesi

mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (01/22/88)

In article <14257@oddjob.UChicago.EDU> mcb@oddjob.uchicago.edu.UUCP (He Who Passes Through Locked Doors) writes:
<Copyright laws exist to allow people
<who write such software to make a living doing so.  If the laws didn't exist,
<neither would the software.

Matt, I don't know what drugs you've been doing, but you should stop.
It's causing you to overlook some important facts. Let's look at the
tools I use, from the ground up:

OS - it was written by a couple of people working for a company that
was forbidden *by law* from either selling or supporting it. Further
enhancement was done by a seperate group that has been giving it away
for the cost of time & materials, and may be required to do so by law
(4BSD).

Editors - two of the four I use come gratis with the above OS. The
other two are available to anyone for the asking (ed, ex, GNU Emacs
and microGNUEmacs).

Languages - one comes gratis with the above OS; one I had to pay for;
two were free for the asking (C on 4BSD & a PC, CScheme & T).

The software that manages the bbs-like system your message & this
reply appear on is free. The software I use to access that is free.
Free software is available to talk on the networks it travels over for
a wide variety of hardware.

Further, some of the best programmers I know (people who write working
device drivers without having hardware to test them on) don't write
software for a living. They maintain software for some group that
needs it to get their work done - and are allowed to give away their
changes and improvements to that software, and any tools they write to
make their job easier.

No, copyright law - or lack thereof - isn't why software gets written.
It gets written because people need it, or because they want it. All
the copyright laws really do is restrict the distribution of the
software once it gets written.

	<mike
--
Take a magic carpet to the olden days			Mike Meyer
To a mythical land where everybody lays			mwm@berkeley.edu

vxp6840@ritcv.UUCP (-Vitas P.-) (01/22/88)

	With all the problems with pirating software I wonder why do some
people still make commercial programs?  I can understand utilities and
productivity software can make money because people need them, and their
docs; And with the typically inflated prices, they still can make money.
As for games, I don't understand why anyone would put in the effort if they
know it will be pirated.
	I think back when computers were new, people loved it when a new
game comes out.  If it was good, people loved it more.  Being unsophisticated
people didn't even think of copying programs.  But later, the market
was inundated with games and copy utilities came out at the same time.
Nobody could hope to buy every game, and not all of them were good.  Face it,
most games aren't worth the money to buy them.  But some were good and got
lost in the crowd.
	I personally tried a lot of games, but the few in my collection
keeps me happy.
	But enough of my thoughts, I still don't understand why new games
still come out, even if they are worth the price, few people will actually
buy them.

	Comments welcome.

-Vitas P.-	...!rochester!ritcv!vxp6840

In article <1861@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
<What makes software different from these other categories of human endeavor?

That laws making it illegal to give your friends copies are
unenforceable. Note that I'm using "software" in the generic sense of
"intellectual property you put on a medium that makes your hardware
usefull" - computer programs, movies, music, and probably other things
that I've missed.

When producers of the software start seeing adding something that
makes the product inferior as a *good* thing, it's time for a reality
check.

For computer programs, we have software protection in various flavors.
For movies, we have macrovision. And they're talking about raping
compact disks by putting a 3KHz (I think I've got the number right)
tone on them to disable DATs. What's wrong with this picture?

	<mike
--
Tell me how d'you get to be				Mike Meyer
As beautiful as that?					mwm@berkeley.edu

chekmate@athena.mit.edu (Adam Kao) (01/22/88)

Consider what might have happened if Jesus Christ had copyrighted his
message.

Adam

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (01/22/88)

In article <6650@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:

> [description of some great free software]
>
> No, copyright law - or lack thereof - isn't why software gets written.
> It gets written because people need it, or because they want it. All
> the copyright laws really do is restrict the distribution of the
> software once it gets written.

I think it's encouraging to see that some of the BEST software is free.  I
don't mean specialized applications software (e.g., CAD/CAM software), but
rather general tools and programming environment software that everyone
needs to do anything at all on their machines.  Mike already mentioned a
great operating system and the best editor [my opinion] in the world (GNU
Emacs); I could add --

- one of the best word processing systems (TeX)
- one of the best state-of-the-art languages (T/Scheme)

and lots of other public domain software that we all use.

I don't know if I agree that copyright laws restrict the distribution of
software though.  The GNU distribution is governed by those same laws, and
those laws have helped to ensure that the distribution remains free and
easily accessible to everyone (without random people making money off it).

-- Ashwin Ram --

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (01/23/88)

In article <1861@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:

>Wrong.  The stuff that gets pirated include word processors, spreadsheets,
>data base managers -- that's why there's a major industry producing books
>about the more popular software products that replicate the content of the
>manuals -- frequently with no other additions.

- that proves the original point: if the software is out there people can
make money on selling documentation.  And who will pay the programmers'
rent?  The company that plans to sell the books!  Or perhaps the company
that plans to sell the hardware!  Apple corp. is giving Hypercard away
(almost) even though it must have taken a staggering amount of work to
create.  Why?  To enhance the Mac's usefulness image ---> more HW sales.
Other options: a tax on blank disks could provide funds for public SW
writing efforts (a la Berkeley, MIT).

The overnight reductions of SW prices by 50% or even 75%, a common
occurence in the industry when competition hits, proves that some
high-priced SW _is_ overpriced and over-enriching the publishers.  Most of
the retail price of SW goes to the retailer, distributer, advertisers,
etc.---NOT the authors.  Since computers are so good at copying, leaving
the distribution to the users would save most of the resources and therefore
would make us all (_on_the_average_) better off.

- Moshe Braner

lawrence@bbn.COM (Gabriel Lawrence) (01/23/88)

In article <111@ritcv.UUCP> vxp6840@ritcv.UUCP (-Vitas P.-) writes:
>	I personally tried a lot of games, but the few in my collection
>keep me happy.
>	But enough of my thoughts, I still don't understand why new games
>still come out, even if they are worth the price, few people will actually
>buy them.
>
>	Comments welcome.

Since you asked... I'm afraid, I'll have to disagree with you.  In the latest
MacWorld (Feb. '88) Charlie Jackson of Silicon Beach Software fame mentions
that sales of "Dark Castle" (an unprotected 'arcade-style' game) have reached
approx. 30,000.  Those are impressive sales figures for any one piece of
software, game or not.  From a personal standpoint, I certainly do hope that
new, innovative games continue to emerge.  I enjoy playing them on occasion
(when I actually have some spare time!) and find that if it's well done, I'm
more than happy to pay the $20-35.00 it might cost.

=Gabe Lawrence=
=BBN Communications=

alang@masscomp.UUCP (Alan Groupe) (01/23/88)

jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:

> But, it doesn't work for ideas.
>The same is true for books, philosophies, ideas and (to a certain extent)
                      ^^^^^
>software.
			. . .

>I think the GNU people are on the right track: give the software away free,
>so that people become to know and love it, and if you want to make money
>you charge for other things: support, documentation, training, etc.
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) (01/23/88)

In article <6650@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.UUCP (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>Matt, I don't know what drugs you've been doing, but you should stop.
>It's causing you to overlook some important facts. Let's look at the
>tools I use, from the ground up:
>
>OS - it was written by a couple of people working for a company that
>was forbidden *by law* from either selling or supporting it. Further
>enhancement was done by a seperate group that has been giving it away
>for the cost of time & materials, and may be required to do so by law
>(4BSD).

It was written by a couble of very smart people in a research lab many
years ago.  It was shared at nearly no cost to Universities for many
years.  But it was always property of a private company and
today is one of their major products.

Where in the world did you get the idea that BSD Unix is free?    UCB,
in effect, gives away their modifications to Unix, but only to those
with a source license from AT&T.   For other than Universities, that
costs big money.  If you don't have a source license, you can buy a
legal binary of BSD Unix for thousands of dollars. (10 or 12 I think).

>Editors - two of the four I use come gratis with the above OS. The
>other two are available to anyone for the asking (ed, ex, GNU Emacs
>and microGNUEmacs).

Nothing came gratis with the OS.  They are simply part of the package.
You seem to imply that since they weren't priced individually that they
are somehow public domain.  GNU emacs and microemacs are public domain
(essentially), but not ed and ex (unless you are talking about different
ones than I am).

>Languages - one comes gratis with the above OS; one I had to pay for;
>two were free for the asking (C on 4BSD & a PC, CScheme & T).

Again, nothing comes gratis with the OS, its just part of the package.
(Oh, with one exception, I guess the "user contributed" stuff than
comes with the BSD tapes could be called gratis, but C certainly isn't
part of that.) C in BSD is most certainly not *free*.  It is based on
AT&T code.  If you are running Unix, using the AT&T C compiler and you
didn't pay somebody for it, then you've got a bogus system.  I grant,
that it might look free, if you buy a Unix box that has Unix bundled
with it; but its certainly part of the cost and your vendor sends a
check to AT&T for each one sold.  (Note that some vendors have written
their own C compiler for use on their Unix boxes, instead of using the
AT&T code, eg. Masscomp did this, but I assure you they don't consider
it "shareware".)

>The software that manages the bbs-like system your message & this
>reply appear on is free. The software I use to access that is free.
>Free software is available to talk on the networks it travels over for
>a wide variety of hardware.
>
>Further, some of the best programmers I know (people who write working
>device drivers without having hardware to test them on) don't write
>software for a living. They maintain software for some group that
>needs it to get their work done - and are allowed to give away their
>changes and improvements to that software, and any tools they write to
>make their job easier.
>
>No, copyright law - or lack thereof - isn't why software gets written.
>It gets written because people need it, or because they want it. All
>the copyright laws really do is restrict the distribution of the
>software once it gets written.

Most software is written, because its a legitimate way to earn a living
and to build a business.   Sun didn't write Suntools to be nice guys;
they wrote it to make the systems they sell more attractive.
Try taking their code, and making minor changes for your AT and see what
they do.  They don't charge extra for it when you buy a Sun, but they
don't call it free, and that doesn't make it up for grabs.

garth@swatsun.uucp (Garth Snyder) (01/23/88)

    > In article <174@piring.cwi.nl jack@cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:

    > Ok, I'll come up with something original.  The problem is capitalism.

Well, no, not really.  People own their labor and their time, and within
reason they can use these assets however they wish, whether it's writing
software, growing wheat, or just goofing off.  This is not a 'problem'
but a kind of basic human right.  You might just as well say that the
'problem' is the failure of software to just magically appear from nowhere
without anyone having to do any work.

    People want money back in return for their efforts, and aren't
    satisfied with fame or esteem or whatever else.  Now, that is
    reasonable if you make 'hardware': a knife is a knife even if you
    don't want to share it. But, it doesn't work for ideas. If I write a
    beautiful song, but I don't sing it (or, preferrably, let others sing
    it) in public, I might as well not have written it in the first
    place. It's value is in publication.  The same is true for books,
    philosophies, ideas and (to a certain extent) software.

There is little difference between hardware and software as far as their
reason for existence is concerned.  A knife is simply a tool; there is
not much you can do with it unless you have something you want to slice
up.  Likewise, a word processor does you no good unless you have
something to write.  Your word processor might be so well designed that
it reminds you of a beautiful, harmonious song, but its quality doesn't
alter the fact that it is simply a word processor.  A finely crafted and
perfectly balanced piece of kitchen cutlery is still a knife.

Your conclusion that something's publication is necessary for it to be
valuable is just simply wrong.  A diamond is valuable even before it is
mined; a house can be a warm and stimulating environment even if no one
but the owners ever enter it.  Suppose that I write a very specialized
program and sell it to a few specific businesses whose needs it fits
completely.  Is it then valueless?

--------------------
Garth Snyder            UUCP: {seismo!bpa,rutgers!liberty}!swatsun!garth
Swarthmore College      ARPA: garth@boulder.colorado.edu
Swarthmore, PA 19081    ALSO: {hao,nbires}!boulder!garth
--------------------

mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (01/23/88)

In article <1950@epiwrl.EPI.COM> parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) writes:
<It was written by a couble of very smart people in a research lab many
<years ago.  It was shared at nearly no cost to Universities for many
<years.  But it was always property of a private company and
<today is one of their major products.

That doesn't negate that it was illegel for that company to sell the
OS when it was written. They "shared it at nearly no cost" because the
judge that decided they could sell "refuse of internal work" also
ruled they couldn't make a profit on it. It wasn't until the company
was dismembered that it could be treated as a legit product.

<
<Where in the world did you get the idea that BSD Unix is free?    UCB,
<in effect, gives away their modifications to Unix, but only to those
<with a source license from AT&T.

Sorry - ambigious antecedents on "it". I was referring to those
enhancements, modulo licenses on the original source. But there are
large pieces of code that *aren't* covered by any license other than
the Berkeley ones. Work is underway to sort out what can and can't be
given away - and parts of that OS are already in the "can be given
away" state.

<Nothing came gratis with the OS.

True - there are people obnoxious enough to seperate out the C
compiler & editors. Most of them seem to be failing (or have already
failed) in the computer market.

AT&T doesn't charge extra for giving someone the editor with Unix -
last time I looked, the only thing you had to give someone when you
sold them Unix was /etc/init & /unix. No shell required. Since then,
they've started doing "validations." I would be surprised if at least
one shell weren't required, and wouldn't be surprised if an editor (or
two) weren't required. Whether the result is "gratis with the OS" or
"part of the package" is word games.

<You seem to imply that since they weren't priced individually that they
<are somehow public domain.  GNU emacs and microemacs are public domain
<(essentially), but not ed and ex (unless you are talking about different
<ones than I am).

No, you implied it. I said they came at no extra charge ("gratis")
with the OS. You have to have a license for the OS. That license
covers all the things I mentioned. On the other hand, microGNUemacs is
mostly public domain - some of the machine-specific files have
copyrights still held by their authers. I don't know about microemacs.
GNU is *not* public domain, and the copyrights are held very tightly
by the FSF. Just to prevent people from selling it for money.

<C in BSD is most certainly not *free*.

C in BSD is free from BSD, once you've dealt with the legalities of
getting the rest of the system - "gratis with the OS." Of course, the
legalities probably won't involve any large telecom companies for the
next release, as CSRG is working on switching from PCC to the GNU C
compiler.

<If you are running Unix, using the AT&T C compiler and you
<didn't pay somebody for it, then you've got a bogus system.  I grant,
<that it might look free, if you buy a Unix box that has Unix bundled
<with it; but its certainly part of the cost and your vendor sends a
<check to AT&T for each one sold.

No, the vendor does *not* send a check to AT&T for each C compiler
sold. Not unless they've radically changed their licensing since I
last dealt with them. The vendor sends a check for each Unix system
sold, and can't give (or sell) a C compiler to anyone that didn't buy
a Unix from them.

<Most software is written, because its a legitimate way to earn a living
<and to build a business.   Sun didn't write Suntools to be nice guys;
<they wrote it to make the systems they sell more attractive.
<Try taking their code, and making minor changes for your AT and see what
<they do.  They don't charge extra for it when you buy a Sun, but they
<don't call it free, and that doesn't make it up for grabs.

Suntools makes Suns more attractive? Giggle. What a laugh. And I don't
deal with obsolete hardware - unless it's noticably faster than
anything else I can get my hands on. Things using intel processors
prior to the '386 are always in the first category, and never in the
second.

I agree, *some* sotware is written specifically to be sold. Probably
even most (but not all) of the software being sold. But most software?
I doubt it. I claim that most software is written because it was
needed to get some job done. What becomes of it after that depends on
lots of things. I suspect that *most* software is written by the
government, and people doing work for the government. Most of that is
public domain modulo licenses that cover whatever was started with.

For instance, I worked on a C compiler for an obscure machine you
probably never heard of. You can have the front end (if you can find a
copy somewhere) for nothing, *if* you have a license for v7 Unix. The
back end doesn't have that restriction - you're welcome to a back end
that swallows pcc-produced trees and generates QM/C code if you want
it. You can even get the QM/C simulator I wrote - either the one in C,
or the one in QM/1 nanocode. You just have to find someone who's still
got a copy.

	<mike
--
Kiss me with your mouth.				Mike Meyer
Your love is better than wine.				mwm@berkeley.edu

bishop@skat.usc.edu (Brian Bishop) (01/23/88)

In article <39450@sun.uucp> fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
>Is TANSTAAFL false?  (Seems to work most everywhere else, except
    ^^^^^^^^^

  Man, WHAT DOES THAT STAND FOR? I always saw it on the check-out registers
at K-Mart. I won't even say what my speculations were....

>Nice-sounding idea, except that software is more than just an
>idea...

brian bishop                            ---> bishop@usc-ecl.ARPA
(uscvax,sdcvdef,engvax,scgvaxd,smeagol) ---> usc-skat!bishop.UUCP

"You will be required to do wrong no matter where you go. It is the basic
condition of life, to be required to violate your own identity. At some time,
every creature that lives must do so. It is the ultimate shadow, the defeat
of creation; this is the curse at work, the curse that feeds on all life.
Everywhere in the universe."
                             - Wilbur Mercer, founder of Mercerism

have a nice day fnord.

lharris@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Leonard Harris) (01/23/88)

I think one of the main problems of copying software is the attitude of the
software companies.  If they implemented a 30 day money back system so proper
evaluation of software could be made, then I think sales would fall (if it is
a crappy piece of software) or the number of legit sales would increase (it it
is good and usefull).  Take for example microsoft C, or Wordperfect for the atari - both are full of bugs, both don't have return policies - but how do you
find out that the software is bad without spending $400 on it?
Wordprocessors are another point - what to buy - microsoft word or wordperfect.
No matter how many reviews you read it boils down to personal choice - again
you have to buy both packages with no return to see which one you prefer.
With some packages you can get limited demo disks but they still don't model
a real application.
In Canada it is now a criminal offence to copy software - I think the law
should be ammended to allow proper evaluation of software with a reasonable
return period.
Enough said - things will never change anyway ...
/Leonard

cramer@optilink.UUCP (01/24/88)

> In article <1861@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> <What makes software different from these other categories of human endeavor?
>
> That laws making it illegal to give your friends copies are
> unenforceable. Note that I'm using "software" in the generic sense of
> "intellectual property you put on a medium that makes your hardware
> usefull" - computer programs, movies, music, and probably other things
> that I've missed.

"Uneforceable" without a police state, yes.  How enforceable a law is,
is a function of what abuses people are willing to tolerate.  No one would
accept no-knock warrants and warrantless searches to stop software piracy.
(Though most people would tolerate it stop drug dealers or terrorists.)

The enforceability of a law says nothing about the morality of the action
that law prohibits.  (Of course, talking about right and wrong with the
well educated crowd on USENET is a complete waste of time).

> When producers of the software start seeing adding something that
> makes the product inferior as a *good* thing, it's time for a reality
> check.

Maybe not a good thing -- maybe something they need to put in, since
by your claim, stopping software piracy through law is impractical.

I would prefer copy protection go away.  But if the only alternative to
use of the legal system is copy protection, I think we are going to see
it around on high-end packages for a long time.  (It of course being
impossible to get software users to stop stealing the stuff).

> For computer programs, we have software protection in various flavors.
> For movies, we have macrovision. And they're talking about raping
> compact disks by putting a 3KHz (I think I've got the number right)
> tone on them to disable DATs. What's wrong with this picture?
>
> 	<mike

Nothing is wrong with it -- there's just too many people out there who
believe that stealing intellectual property is a right.  Consequently,
you can expect these sort of damn nuisances.

Clayton E. Cramer

fwp@unccvax.UUCP (Rick Pasotto) (01/25/88)

in article <6424@oberon.USC.EDU+, bishop@skat.usc.edu (Brian Bishop) says:
+
+ In article <39450@sun.uucp> fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
+>Is TANSTAAFL false?  (Seems to work most everywhere else, except
+     ^^^^^^^^^
+   Man, WHAT DOES THAT STAND FOR? I always saw it on the check-out registers
+ at K-Mart. I won't even say what my speculations were....
+
+ brian bishop                            ---> bishop@usc-ecl.ARPA
+ (uscvax,sdcvdef,engvax,scgvaxd,smeagol) ---> usc-skat!bishop.UUCP
+
+ have a nice day fnord.

There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Lunch -+ TANSTAAFL

not quite the same as

Thank You For Shopping At K-Mart -+ TYFSAK

I first encountered TANSTAAFL in Heinlein's _The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress_,
don't know if this is the origin or not.

Rick Pasotto
mcnc!unccvax!fwp

jholbach@wright.EDU (Jim Holbach) (01/25/88)

in article <21754@yale-celray.yale.UUCP>, Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) says:

> In article <6650@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>>
>> No, copyright law - or lack thereof - isn't why software gets written.
>> It gets written because people need it, or because they want it. All
>> the copyright laws really do is restrict the distribution of the
>> software once it gets written.
>
> I don't know if I agree that copyright laws restrict the distribution of
> software though.  The GNU distribution is governed by those same laws, and
> those laws have helped to ensure that the distribution remains free and
> easily accessible to everyone (without random people making money off it).

	Copyright laws don't restrict the distribution of software -
they merely allow the author to decide if he/she will impose any
restrictions on the distribution so as to protect the investment made in
developing the software. It's interesting to me that the same copyright
laws are invoked (and rightfully so) by the shareware developer who wants to
protect his/her good name as by the commercial software developer who
wants to protect a merely :-) economic investment.

	I am amazed at how much discussion the topic of copying
still generates though. It's like a discussion of shop-lifting with some
arguing that it's okay because the store is charging too much and others
saying that it's okay because the house detective is asleep and doesn't
care anyway. It still comes down to theft (yes, Virginia, theft is still
wrong whether or not you get caught....)

	I don't have a problem with copy protected programs either
because I don't buy them and I encourage others to do the same.
And obviously a lot more people feel the same since the use of copy
protection is on the decline. It's *amazing* how that evil capitalist
market-place :-) responds to the desires of the buyer rather than the seller
when there's enough competition.

mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (01/25/88)

In article <1874@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
<"Uneforceable" without a police state, yes.  How enforceable a law is,
<is a function of what abuses people are willing to tolerate.  No one would
<accept no-knock warrants and warrantless searches to stop software piracy.
<(Though most people would tolerate it stop drug dealers or terrorists.)

I'm not willing to grant that a police state can enforce a law against
software piracy - except by going to the extreme of making it illegal
to own a computer. You should check out how the Polish resistance
movement is making use of computers.

<The enforceability of a law says nothing about the morality of the action
<that law prohibits.  (Of course, talking about right and wrong with the
<well educated crowd on USENET is a complete waste of time).

Likewise, the existence of a law says nothing about the morality of the
action that law prohibits, either.

<Nothing is wrong with [copy protection] -- there's just too many people
<out there who believe that stealing intellectual property is a right.
<Consequently, you can expect these sort of damn nuisances.

No, there is something wrong with it. The law is set up to try and
turn an oxymoron (intellectual property) into a reality. As usual,
when a law tries to change reality, it gets ignored. Expecting
anything else is silly.

BTW - I *don't* condone stealing software. While it's not immoral, it
*is* unfair and dishonest. You should play by the rules until you
manage to get them changed.

	<mike
--
I went down to the hiring fair,				Mike Meyer
For to sell my labor.					mwm@berkeley.edu

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/26/88)

> In article <1861@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> >
> >Wrong.  The stuff that gets pirated include word processors, spreadsheets,
> >data base managers -- that's why there's a major industry producing books
> >about the more popular software products that replicate the content of the
> >manuals -- frequently with no other additions.
>
> - that proves the original point: if the software is out there people can
> make money on selling documentation.  And who will pay the programmers'
> rent?  The company that plans to sell the books!  Or perhaps the company

Who doesn't have to pay the author of the program at all.  You still haven't
come up with a method that incentivizes writing software.

> that plans to sell the hardware!  Apple corp. is giving Hypercard away
> (almost) even though it must have taken a staggering amount of work to
> create.  Why?  To enhance the Mac's usefulness image ---> more HW sales.
> Other options: a tax on blank disks could provide funds for public SW
> writing efforts (a la Berkeley, MIT).

And who will get the money from that tax on blank disks?  Everyone writing
software?  No.  Software developers who are big enough for the government
to consider them "software developers".  People with the right credentials:
previous products, degrees in computer science.

Sounds like a great way to stifle software startups.

> The overnight reductions of SW prices by 50% or even 75%, a common
> occurence in the industry when competition hits, proves that some
> high-priced SW _is_ overpriced and over-enriching the publishers.  Most of
> the retail price of SW goes to the retailer, distributer, advertisers,
> etc.---NOT the authors.  Since computers are so good at copying, leaving
> the distribution to the users would save most of the resources and therefore
> would make us all (_on_the_average_) better off.
>
> - Moshe Braner

If someone is willing to pay exorbitant amounts of money for software, it's
not overpriced -- just expensive.  There is nothing wrong with profit --
it provides incentive not only for a company like Lotus to build 1-2-3, but
for someone like Borland to build Quattro.  If software development gave a
4% profit, who would write it?  You'd put the money in the bank and get a
guaranteed 5.25% return.

Clayton E. Cramer

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/26/88)

> In article <1874@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
> <"Uneforceable" without a police state, yes.  How enforceable a law is,
> <is a function of what abuses people are willing to tolerate.  No one would
> <accept no-knock warrants and warrantless searches to stop software piracy.
> <(Though most people would tolerate it stop drug dealers or terrorists.)
>
> I'm not willing to grant that a police state can enforce a law against
> software piracy - except by going to the extreme of making it illegal
> to own a computer. You should check out how the Polish resistance
> movement is making use of computers.

Come now, you are either short on imagination, or don't know much about
police states.  The Software Piracy Police go door to door, entering without
warning, turning on your PC, and searching the disk for software.  When
they find copyrighted programs, they look for a manual with a valid license
agreement for that software.  If you don't have it, and the manufacturer
can't find evidence of being a registered owner, they format your disk,
and, depending how fiercely this police state chooses to enforce the law,
executes you on the Chief Ed Davis portable gallows.

I think this would strongly discourage software piracy, don't you?  I
think it might well end it, even.

> <The enforceability of a law says nothing about the morality of the action
> <that law prohibits.  (Of course, talking about right and wrong with the
> <well educated crowd on USENET is a complete waste of time).
>
> Likewise, the existence of a law says nothing about the morality of the
> action that law prohibits, either.

My argument is not with the morality of the law -- my argument is concerning
the morality of software piracy.

> <Nothing is wrong with [copy protection] -- there's just too many people
> <out there who believe that stealing intellectual property is a right.
> <Consequently, you can expect these sort of damn nuisances.
>
> No, there is something wrong with it. The law is set up to try and
> turn an oxymoron (intellectual property) into a reality. As usual,
> when a law tries to change reality, it gets ignored. Expecting
> anything else is silly.

Aha!  We finally get down to the crux of the difference of opinion.  I
view "intellectual property" as a valid position; you view it as an
oxymoron.  Here we must argue the nature of rights -- and doubtless
the divergence will become more extreme.

> BTW - I *don't* condone stealing software. While it's not immoral, it
> *is* unfair and dishonest. You should play by the rules until you
> manage to get them changed.
>
> 	<mike

Does this mean if the law is changed, and we no longer recognize intellectual
property (which would include copyrights of all sorts), that you will then
feel it is OK?

Clayton E. Cramer

palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) (01/26/88)

In article <229@wright.EDU>, jholbach@wright.EDU (Jim Holbach) writes:
> 	I don't have a problem with copy protected programs either
> because I don't buy them and I encourage others to do the same.
Ditto!
> And obviously a lot more people feel the same since the use of copy
> protection is on the decline. It's *amazing* how that evil capitalist
> market-place :-) responds to the desires of the buyer rather than the seller
> when there's enough competition.
Just one problem: is there enough competition?
It seems to me that Microsoft could stomp on almost anyone simply by
flooding the market.

	Johan Larson

tower@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (01/26/88)

In article <39450@sun.uucp> fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
|The GNU people (particularly Mr. Stallman) might not continue with
|their idealistic ways if they had no other source of income beside
|the software that they're working on.

A poster who doesn't the facts.

RMS (Mr. Stallman) has made his living as a consultant since he
started the GNU project.  He has always required all work that he does
to be freely redistributable, and takes a copy of the work he performs
as a consultant with him when he is done with an assingment.

Note also that more and more of the consulting that he is paid for is
GNU related.

Proof of concept?!?!!!!

enjoy -len

PS: People who are concerned with this issue of software copying,
should study RMS' GNU Manifesto.  It was published in the March 1985
issue of Dr. Dobbs, is file etc/GNU in the GNU Emacs distribution
[ C-h C-c C-x C-v GNU RET ], and as a last resort is available via
e-mail from:
	ucbvax!prep.ai.mit.edu!gnu
the Project GNU e-mail inquiry address.

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (01/26/88)

In article <6668@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris (Mike Meyer) writes:
> In article <1950@epiwrl.EPI.COM> parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) writes:
>
>>You seem to imply that since they weren't priced individually that they
>>are somehow public domain.  GNU emacs and microemacs are public domain
>>(essentially), but not ed and ex (unless you are talking about different
>>ones than I am).
>
> No, you implied it. I said they came at no extra charge ("gratis")
> with the OS. You have to have a license for the OS. That license

I bought a BMW K100RT two years ago to commute to work on.  (Rain or
shine, I'd still recommend one.)  I didn't pay extra for pistons,
brakes, or fairing...they weren't "gratis" either.  But at least
they didn't cost extra.) They were part of the package.

> Suntools makes Suns more attractive? Giggle. What a laugh. And I don't
> deal with obsolete hardware - unless it's noticably faster than
> anything else I can get my hands on. Things using intel processors
> prior to the '386 are always in the first category, and never in the
> second.

That's nice.  Who pays for the hardware you work on?  At home, at least,
I pays my money and takes my chances.  At work I use what they give me.

	seh

mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (01/26/88)

In article <39921@sun.uucp> fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
<In article <6650@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
<> In article <14257@oddjob.UChicago.EDU> mcb@oddjob.uchicago.edu.UUCP (He Who Passes Through Locked Doors) writes:
<> Matt, I don't know what drugs you've been doing, but you should stop.
<
<A kind, generous remark...guaranteed to make the other person more
<certain to carefully consider your argument. :}

Sorry 'bout that. I should have added the smiley - or better yet, not
said it. But I'd just spent a long, nasty day working on the latest
version of some free software.

<> It's causing you to overlook some important facts. Let's look at the
<> tools I use, from the ground up:
<	[ List of programming tools that cost Mr. Meyers nothing.
<	Apparently mostly GNE-related software.  Fine, the stuff
<	works. ]

Allow me to correct two spelling errors. 1) My name is Meyer. I'm not
plural. 2) It's GNU, not GNE. And one misconception - most of it
wasn't from the Free Software Foundation.

<> Further, some of the best programmers I know (people who write working
<> device drivers without having hardware to test them on) don't write
<> software for a living. They maintain software for some group that
<> needs it to get their work done - and are allowed to give away their
<> changes and improvements to that software, and any tools they write to
<> make their job easier.
<
<How do they pay their rent?  Buy groceries?

Please reread the above paragraph. The answer is there - "they
maintain software for some group that needs it to get their work
done." Neither they, nor the group paying them needs to sell the
software to make a living. So they give away much of it.

As a concrete example, I used to work for a petrochemicals consulting
firm. There attitude was that any software I wrote in order to do my
job could be given away, so long as it didn't contain company
proprietary information. That information was expertise in doing 2 and
3d gas flow simulations - which very few people aside from our
competition would be interested in. No problem. I gave away the
accounting package I did for them, as well as systems utilities and
other stuff. I even gave kernel bug patchs back to the vendor we
bought the OS from. The company paid me for doing these things, and
made a living that in part involved using these things as tools.

Other examples abound. Most work done for the federal government must
be placed in the public domain. Most work done at state universities
can be gotten for materials & labor. A fair selection of companies
behave as the one I described above.

<It's very nice that there are some usable programming tools available that
<you can get for little or nothing.  TANSTAAFL.  (There Ain't No Such Thing
<As A Free Lunch...)  Somebody had to pay for this, just not you.  (If I
<remember correctly, that somebody is a University that supports this
<development.  Farther down the line, particularly where state schools
<are engaged in supporting such work, the taxpayers pay for it.

True. And for the companies that give away software, the customer
winds up paying for it. The point is that in many cases, it doesn't
matter. You said it yourself:

<No...it gets written because there is a need (real or perceived) for
<the software, and because if someone is willing to pay for this soft-
<ware, someone else is willing to spend the time and energy to write
<and distribute it.  With the expectation that their effort will be
<repayed in the future (along with their mortgage, rent, groceries,
<medical bills, schooling, ...)

In many cases, that repayment *does not* involve selling the software
involved. It involves using it. I claim that that's the majority of
the cases. You just have to know where to go to get the software
(legally, of course).

<> No, copyright law - or lack thereof - isn't why software gets written.
<> It gets written because people need it, or because they want it. All
<> the copyright laws really do is restrict the distribution of the
<> software once it gets written.
<
<Copyright law exists (originally for printed material, later expanded
<to include software) *NOT* to restrict distribution, but to protect
<the producer's livelihood.

I didn't say why it exists - I said what it actually does. You're
right as to why it came into existence, but that has nothing to do
with what it actually does (intent vs. reality).

<In a scholastic setting, this sort of
<thing is called plagiarism and, so I recollect, is frowned on.

You've confused two issues. The copyright laws do more than prevent
plagiarism. Plagiarism is the act of passing off something else as the
product of your own work. That is frowned upon, and people doing that
(even if they don't make an financial gain thereby) are <list all
adjectives that have come up in this conversation so far>.

Copyright laws prevent you from giving something to someone else even
though you say who actually produced it. In a scholastic setting, this
is called "quoting", or a "reference," and is (to a limited extend)
encouraged.

	<mike
--
Come all you rolling minstrels,				Mike Meyer
And together we will try,				mwm@berkeley.edu

howard@cpocd2.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) (01/27/88)

In article <39450@sun.uucp> fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
>Software is not an idea any more than a knife.

Really?  Try making a backup copy of your knife, or sending it over a phone
line.  INFORMATION AND MATTER OBEY DIFFERENT PHYSICAL LAWS.

We are a long way from having legislation which deals realistically with
the nature of information, and still allows its creators to earn a living.
Pretending bits and atoms are the same is not going to help.

>The GNU people (particularly Mr. Stallman) might not continue with
>their idealistic ways if they had no other source of income beside
>the software that they're working on.  (Who's paying their bills?)
>Is TANSTAAFL false?  (Seems to work most everywhere else, except
>in politics.)

My understanding was that the FSF makes most of its money from SUPPORT
for the otherwise free software.  There are quite a few companies who
think this a reasonable deal.  Also, FSF sells EMACS manuals and such.

Obviuosly, companies which don't bother to support their products can't
make any money this way - they would much rather stick the customers with
the software and forget about them.

--
	Howard A. Landman
	{oliveb,hplabs}!intelca!mipos3!cpocd2!howard

cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (01/28/88)

> In article <229@wright.EDU>, jholbach@wright.EDU (Jim Holbach) writes:
> > 	I don't have a problem with copy protected programs either
> > because I don't buy them and I encourage others to do the same.
> Ditto!
> > And obviously a lot more people feel the same since the use of copy
> > protection is on the decline. It's *amazing* how that evil capitalist
> > market-place :-) responds to the desires of the buyer rather than the seller
> > when there's enough competition.
> Just one problem: is there enough competition?
> It seems to me that Microsoft could stomp on almost anyone simply by
> flooding the market.
>
> 	Johan Larson

Yeah, but they would have to flood the market with well-written, bug-free
software.  This will not happen in our lifetime.

And I use Microsoft Word, C5.0, Microsoft Assembler, PC-DOS, and Windows.

Clayton E. Cramer

In article <886@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> olsen@ll-xn.UUCP (Jim Olsen) writes:
>If I copy a program which I would never pay for, the copyright holder
>loses nothing, since he wouldn't get any money from me anyway.  In such
>a situation, the copying is illegal, but I would not consider it immoral.

This is exactly one of the cases in which "registering" with the
copyright office makes a difference.  If you do NOT register your work
with the copyright office, you can only collect "actual" damages, which
in the above case is $0.   If you register your work with the copyright
office WITHIN 3 MONTHS from publication you can ask for "statutory"
damages, which are decided in court and have NO set limit.

While I know of no case in which an individual has
been sued for illegaling copying software (but I might be wrong), several
authors/publishers have gotten large court awards for "company-sponsored
illegal copying".  In all these cases the 3-month registration clause was
essential in getting the large awards.

-- Marco

rjk107@pawl4.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (01/28/88)

In article <6693@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.UUCP (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:
>When a law tries to change reality, it gets ignored. Expecting
>anything else is silly.

You got that right...
>BTW - I *don't* condone stealing software. While it's not immoral, it
>*is* unfair and dishonest. You should play by the rules until you
>manage to get them changed.

I condone "stealing" any software that's copy-protected. Any software
of mine will never be copy protected simply because it's fruitless to
protect software- basically, if it is runnable, it's copyable.
And if it's protected, it's an open invitation to try and break the
protection. Maybe someday when I choose my life's career, my opinions
on piracy will change. But my opinion of copy-protection never will.
It's simply detrimental to the end user and merely a fun challenge
to hackers.

But I must admit, I learned a hell of a lot about programming by
learning to crack software. So maybe it's not such a bad thing
after all. :)

john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) (01/28/88)

In article <6650@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> mwm@eris.UUCP (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) writes:

>No, copyright law - or lack thereof - isn't why software gets written.
>It gets written because people need it, or because they want it. All
>the copyright laws really do is restrict the distribution of the
>software once it gets written.

That's one way to look at it.  While I agree that software would still get
written even without such laws, I percieve the laws as giving those who
create software a legal means to recover compensation when it is righfully
due them.

All this, I guess is based on a fundamental premise... should someone who
develops a software package (be it an individual or a company), have the
right to charge others for the right to use the package?  If the answer is
yes, then the laws make sense in the context I mentioned above.  If the
answer is no, then I do believe there would be less software available,
because many people could not afford to do this in their spare time, and
many excellent minds are developed through the full-time process of
software development.  This is not the ONLY way we progress, and software
would still exist, I just think it is a good thing that folks can make a
living doing it too.

John Gilbert
--
John Gilbert
!trwrb!felix!john

pete@octopus.UUCP (Pete Holzmann) (01/29/88)

In article <886@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> olsen@ll-xn.UUCP (Jim Olsen) writes:
>In article <229@wright.EDU> jholbach@wright.EDU (Jim Holbach) writes:
>>	I am amazed at how much discussion the topic of copying
>>still generates though... It still comes down to theft...
>
>Unauthorized copying is not theft: it is infringement of a statutory
>monopoly.  You may think that unauthorized copying is a bad as theft,
>but you confuse yourself when you say it _is_ theft.  The two crimes
>are quite distinct; this is why people treat them differently.
>
>If I copy a program which I would never pay for, the copyright holder
>loses nothing, since he wouldn't get any money from me anyway.  In such
>a situation, the copying is illegal, but I would not consider it immoral.

I rather strongly disagree with your point of view. You are assuming that
the only 'value' involved here is the cost of physical items. If I extend your
reason to the general case, you are saying:

	If I obtain a copy of something that is owned by somebody else, I
	have done nothing wrong. It may be illegal, but it is not wrong, since
	what I have done has no affect on the owner of the thing. I have not
	stolen any*thing*.

This assertion is false. Making a copy of something *can* affect the owner! And
you are stealing some*thing*, even though the thing being stolen is not
physical.  To make it obvious, consider the case where there is a small class
of people that can and will pay for X, and a much larger class of people who
cannot affort to pay for X or are unwilling to pay for it. If everyone in the
larger class of people makes a copy of X (where X is 'intangible property'),
what might the results be?

	- The value of a copy of X may decrease as far as willing purchasers
		is concerned. Copies of X are rarely of identical quality to
		the original. (Examples: For software, the documentation is
		rarely copied at the same quality. Art: a photograph of a
		painting just isn't the same!)

	- The more copies of X that exist, the less a single copy of X is
		valued. Simple supply and demand economics, if nothing else.

	- The rightful owner of X may have to deal with endless inquiries about
		X from people who have never paid for it. Even simply saying
		"no, I won't explain" costs something, especially if it must
		be said a million times!

	- The owner of X has the moral right to say 'you may not have X if you
		will not pay for it, because sales of X are my livelihood'.
		If you are unwilling to pay for X, you should be able to live
		without it. If you can't live without X, it is worth more than
		$0.00 to you, and you should be willing to pay for it! Just
		because you would like X's owner to be altruistic and give you
		a copy does not place any moral compunction (sp?) on X's owner
		to do so, nor does it give you the right to *take* a copy.

When you make a copy of something that the owner does not want copied, you
are stealing:

	- The owner's right to control the distribution and use of X
	- The owner's right to make a living from the distribution and use of X

There are many positions that can be held wherein such property rights are
given over to some other party (the State, the People). But in all cases, the
original creator must be *paid* in some way for the transfer of these rights.
If this is not done, society is left without all forms of professional
intellectual creation vocation. This would be rather serious!

Here's a short list of people who earn their keep by investing time and/or
$$$ in the creation of intellectual property. To the extent they lose control
over that property, they will find it hard to make enough profit to stay in
business. *MORALLY*, they have the right to their wages, just like you do for
the time *you* put in at work!

	- The obvious: songwriters, authors, artists, programmers, etc.
	- Money market-watchers (contents of newsletters)
	- Market research firms (contents of research reports)
	- Product testing companies (test reports)
	- Architects (blueprints, building designs, etc)
	- Professional cooks (recipes in cookbooks, etc)
	- etc.

That's enough from this guy's keyboard for now.

Pete
--
  OOO   __| ___      Peter Holzmann, Octopus Enterprises
 OOOOOOO___/ _______ USPS: 19611 La Mar Court, Cupertino, CA 95014

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (01/29/88)

In article <1891@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>> In article <229@wright.EDU>, jholbach@wright.EDU (Jim Holbach) writes:
>> > 	I don't have a problem with copy protected programs either
>> > because I don't buy them and I encourage others to do the same.
>> Ditto!
>> > And obviously a lot more people feel the same since the use of copy
>> > protection is on the decline. It's *amazing* how that evil capitalist
>> > market-place :-) responds to the desires of the buyer rather than the seller
>> > when there's enough competition.
>> Just one problem: is there enough competition?
>> It seems to me that Microsoft could stomp on almost anyone simply by
>> flooding the market.
>>
>> 	Johan Larson
>
>Yeah, but they would have to flood the market with well-written, bug-free
>software.  This will not happen in our lifetime.
>
>And I use Microsoft Word, C5.0, Microsoft Assembler, PC-DOS, and Windows.
>
>Clayton E. Cramer

They would have to ENTER the market with ..., which from the evidence
will also not happen in our lifetime.  The only company whose job ad
in misc.jobs.offered I ever answered with "I wouldn't want my good
name (such as it is) sullied by the association."

[The best way to not feed inews insertion counter is to yank the code and
recompile inews.  We did.]

Kent, the man from xanth.

stewartw@neptune.UUCP (Stewart Winter ) (01/29/88)

In article <1988Jan23.124134.16121@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> lharris@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Leonard Harris) writes:
>In Canada it is now a criminal offence to copy software - I think the law
>should be ammended to allow proper evaluation of software with a reasonable
>return period.
     It was my understanding that the same things applied to software as
any copyrighted matter in that it is legal to copy something for home study.
This is what allows you to copy some pages from an encyclopedia in a library.
You should, therefore, be allowed to evaluate software legally.