[comp.sys.amiga] Net: parallel port handler

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (02/04/90)

In article <12416@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> stan@jazz.UUCP (Stan Fisher) writes:
>>Somebody needs to take the source code to DNET and the source to Matt's
>>parallel port read/write routines and bash them together to make a DNET
>>that works over the parallel port.  If you're looking for a project, think
>>seriously about it.

>Now I'm real confused!!
>
>I could have sworn that I saw a thread not too long ago about people actually
>using _a_ Parallel net between Amigas and discussions of how many feet of cable
>could be succesfully ran between them etc.
>
>Maybe I'm mistaken...  is there some other Serial or Parallel Amiga Networking
>scheme in use somewhere????  I could really put one to use.

Now I'M confused - what's the question again?  NET: for both parallel and
serial has been out for quite some time.  Matt's DNET is used as the
underlying communications method for the serial version, and Matt's parallel
port read/write routines are used for the parallel version.  Unfortunately,
the parallel routines are not as functional as DNET and only allow the
network to be mounted one-way.  I was suggesting that someone with some
'spare time' (a legendary commodity) modify the DNET source to use the
parallel port so the network could be two-way.

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller=======================
 *|. o.| ||
  | o  |//     For all you do, this bug's for you!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) (02/09/90)

Dnet (Dillon Net) is found on FF220.  -jim-

Jim Priestle - via FidoNet node 1:110/300
UUCP: uunet!dayvb!afitamy!Jim.Priestle
ARPA: Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org
         //     Amiga Users BBS/UFGateway
    \ //     Dayton Ohio  (513)-252-7681
     \X/               1:110/300

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (02/13/90)

In article <71.25D2B100@afitamy.fidonet.org> Jim.Priestle@afitamy.fidonet.org (Jim Priestle) writes:
>Dnet (Dillon Net) is found on FF220.  -jim-

Unfortunately, DNet has nothing to do with Net: on the parallel port.

There seems to be a lot of misconception on usenet about DNet, parnet, NET:,
so let me waste a little bandwidth explaining it.

Matt Dillon implemented DNET, which runs on the serial port and allows processes
running on two Amigas or an Amiga and a Unix system to communicate.  DNET is
not a file system - it doesn't allow you to CD to the remote side, use the
workbench, do DIR and LIST and so on.  It does let you put and get files to
and from the other side by using the provided PUTFILES and GETFILES commands,
as well as other useful utilities.

John Toebes and other members of the Software Distillery wrote a file system to
read and write AmigaDOS format diskettes in the floppy drive.  (Also one to
read and write MS-DOS format diskettes in a 5.25 inch drive, but that's another
story.)

I took John's code and Matt's code as a starting point and implemented NET:, the
network file system.  The first version used DNET to communicate between the two
Amigas.

Matt wrote routines to read and write data to and from the parallel port of the
Amiga.

I posted source code to NET:.  Matt picked it up and wrote a device driver for
NET: that used his parallel port routines (a relatively simple matter since NET:
was designed to be modular).  This is what has become known as parnet.

Now, on to the question - where to get the NET: parallel port device.  It's not
on the Fish disks as far as I know.  It is on BIX and PLink, as well as the
Software Distillery BBS.  It has been posted here, so it should be in the
comp.binary.amiga archives.  A new version is on the way within the next couple
of weeks, so you might just want to wait for that.

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller=======================
 *|. o.| ||
  | o  |//     "I try to make everyone's day a little more surreal."
  ======               - Calvin
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (02/19/90)

In <1549@sas.UUCP>, walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
:
: [of Net: ParNet: & DNet]
:
   Interesting, but...these are point to point setups. What about more
 than two machines.
   I have a schoolteaching friend who has 14 A500's and one 20 meg HDrive.
 He is wondering if there is anyway to use the HDrive with all of the
 A500's. Has anybody implemented this sort of cheap serial network?
   <-Harvey

  "The most significant fact about planet earth is
                                that it has no user manual." -B. Fuller
      Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
       uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
               a186@mindlink.UUCP

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (02/25/90)

In article <1163@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>   Interesting, but...these are point to point setups. What about more
> than two machines.

Matt has mentioned being able to do this by making special cables and
forming a ring network on the parallel ports.  Nobody's tried it, though,
since he only has two machines.

Matt?  You out there?

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)471-6436 =
 *|. o.| ||
  | o  |//     Got mole problems?  Call Avogadro: 602-1023!
  ======
usenet: ...mcnc!rti!sas!walker   plink: dwalker  bix: djwalker

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (02/26/90)

From article <1590@sas.UUCP>, by walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker):
> In article <1163@mindlink.UUCP> a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) writes:
>>   Interesting, but...these are point to point setups. What about more
>> than two machines.
>
> Matt has mentioned being able to do this by making special cables and
> forming a ring network on the parallel ports.  Nobody's tried it, though,
> since he only has two machines.

If you need some testing help, I've got 3 Amigas fairly close to each
other that I could probably get going. It depends on the cabling
required though, as one of them is about 50-60 feet away from the other
two. I have had the parallel port network running with both of the
diskless machines (not at the same time of course), and the cables for
the standard PPN are already in place.

Oh, and I'd best (finally!) pass on some general PPN info that I got in
reply to a plea for help a couple of months ago. (Sorry to be so slow.)

I had the PPN working from the CLI, but no Drawer icons showed up in the
NET: Disk icon window. It turns out that the documentation has a couple
of glitches.

1) The docs say to name the icon you wish to use as the Drawer icon for
the remote disks "node.info", but it must really be named "node.rinfo".
Without the "r", it won't show up.

2) The docs say you need to "ASSIGN ROOT: <path>". Well, not quite. You
must assign ROOT: to a root directory. When assigned to "DH0:ParNet" I
couldn't get the icons to show up on Workbench. But when I switched the
assignment to "DH0:", it worked fine.

I stumbled across 2) myself, but credit goes to Dwight Blubaugh
(blubaugh@ucqais.uc.edu) and Francois Rouaix (rouaix@inria.inria.fr)
for pointing out 1) to me.

I have successfully run the PPN over 50-60 feet of cable between a 1000
and a 2000, and ~20 feet of cable to a 500. DiskSpeed reports about
25K/second which is twice as fast as a floppy on reads, and four times
faster on writes. This is with a Hardframe and Wren III drive (700-800K
per second reads), so it's probably the limit of the network.
--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
Here:                                  There: (My Amiga running uucp)

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (03/09/90)

In article <1831@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>1) The docs say to name the icon you wish to use as the Drawer icon for
>the remote disks "node.info", but it must really be named "node.rinfo".
>Without the "r", it won't show up.

True.  Sigh.  Boy, am I tired of telling people this.  That'll teach me to
change my mind about the naming.

The problem is that if you name it 'node.info' it shows up as a drawer on
the non-networked side.  'node.rinfo' doesn't.  I map the name anyway,
so it doesn't matter to me which it's called;  the .rinfo name keeps
from confusing workbench at least a little bit.

>2) The docs say you need to "ASSIGN ROOT: <path>". Well, not quite. You
>must assign ROOT: to a root directory. When assigned to "DH0:ParNet" I
>couldn't get the icons to show up on Workbench. But when I switched the
>assignment to "DH0:", it worked fine.

I'm not sure if the docs say it or not, but the node.rinfo file must be in
the root directory of the device you mount.  If you assign ROOT: to
DH0:ParNet, you must put node.rinfo in DH0:node.rinfo.  All transactions
across the network will go to DH0:, not DH0:ParNet.

>Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland  580 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
>Here:                                  There: (My Amiga running uucp)
>blgardne@esunix.UUCP                   blaine@worsel.UUCP
>{decwrl, utah-cs}!esunix!blgardne      utah-cs!caeco!i-core!worsel!blaine

  *****
=*|_o_o|\\=====Doug Walker, Software Distiller====== BBS: (919)382-8265 =
 *|. o.| ||                                NOTE NEW BBS NUMBER!^^^^^^^^

stan@teroach.UUCP (Stan Fisher) (03/13/90)

In article <1600@sas.UUCP> walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:
>In article <1831@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>1) The docs say to name the icon you wish to use as the Drawer icon for
>>the remote disks "node.info", but it must really be named "node.rinfo".
>>Without the "r", it won't show up.

****  Lot's of stuff deleted to please the news posters "new text ratio" ******

Oh... while we're at it..... One little glitch I found useing ParNET
with ARP.

The ARP mount command won't mount net: so you have to use the original
AmigaDOS 'mount' command...

Once I did that (along with the suggestions from Blaine) it worked great!!

I love it! Thanks to the Software Distillers and Matt !!

  Stan Fisher -  stan@teroach.phx.mcd.mot.com -  asuvax!mcdphx!teroach!stan
  Motorola Microcomputer Division, Tempe, Arizona   -  Voice (602) 438-3228
  Call our User Group BBS "M.E.C.C.A." running Atredes 1.1 @ (602) 893-0804