[comp.sys.amiga] Hardware Purchase advice.

BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Binoy James. Membership has it's privil) (03/11/90)

Hi Folks,

I just got some money (~$600) and am looking to make some hardware
purchases.

What I don't wanna get:

Video h/w: Cos I'm going back home to the land of PAL and (3's company
clones? :-)) and unless it's switchable, it's useless!

Harddrive: I have this strange feeling that no matter how big a drive I
get, it won't be enuff!

Ok now what I'm sure about:

Memory:  I have 1 meg/ all Chip, and am looking for either 2 or 4 meg.
Which boards are good/recommended?  I have a rev6.1 motherboard.
Problems with the 8-Up! board?  Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

Audio Digitizers:  AMAS vs FutureSound vs PerfectSound!  Any
preferences and explanations thereof are welcome.  Is the new version
of PerfectSound still ~$60?

Any other hardware products that have been good investments please let
me know.  Printers/lightpens/vorecone/scanners(not the ~$1000 one!)
etc........

Thanks very very very much/
Bin

reply to bpj0@lehigh.bitnet
         bjames@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu

Signing off........

In article <13474@baldrick.udel.EDU> BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Binoy James.  Membership has it's privil) writes:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I just got some money (~$600) and am looking to make some hardware
>purchases.
>
>Ok now what I'm sure about:
>
>Memory:  I have 1 meg/ all Chip, and am looking for either 2 or 4 meg.
>Which boards are good/recommended?  I have a rev6.1 motherboard.
>Problems with the 8-Up! board?  Any suggestions/comments are welcome.

	I can't say too much about memory boards, but you should know
that if you buy a A2091-40, the 2091 controller comes with sockets for
2MB of RAM.

>Audio Digitizers:  AMAS vs FutureSound vs PerfectSound!  Any
>preferences and explanations thereof are welcome.  Is the new version
>of PerfectSound still ~$60?

	I have FutureSound, and although it works quite well, I don't
recommend it. The company does not answer its phone and I've never
heard anything from them. You should make sure they exist before you
buy.

>Any other hardware products that have been good investments please let
>me know.  Printers/lightpens/vorecone/scanners(not the ~$1000 one!)
>etc........

	There is this scanner advertised in a few of the recent
magazines called the Migraph(?) which looked pretty good AND cheap.
(about $350)

>Thanks very very very much/
>Bin
>
>reply to bpj0@lehigh.bitnet
>         bjames@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
>
>Signing off........

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (03/13/90)

In article <13474@baldrick.udel.EDU> BPJ0%LEHIGH.BITNET@ibm1.cc.lehigh.edu (Binoy James.  Membership has it's privil) writes:
>Harddrive: I have this strange feeling that no matter how big a drive I
>get, it won't be enuff!

Unless you get a SyQuest 555 removable-media drive.  About 44Meg on
each cartridge.  Sadly, it costs about twice as much as a normal
44Meg drive.  Cartriges about $100. Stop on over 122 Evans and take a look.
		      -- Darren