[comp.sys.amiga] MSH

Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
provided? I installed the whole deal, as MS2: (driver df2:) and when I
run format (responding with the defaults to all questions) the light goes
up, it says cyl 0 side 0 and nothing happends.  The light stays on, but
the cyl and side no. won't advance and nothing gets formatted.

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock) (02/22/90)

In article <23012@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
>provided? I installed the whole deal, as MS2: (driver df2:) and when I
>run format (responding with the defaults to all questions) the light goes
>up, it says cyl 0 side 0 and nothing happends.  The light stays on, but
>the cyl and side no. won't advance and nothing gets formatted.

I was able to get messyfmt to format a MSDOS disk on drive df1: as
verified by Dos-2-Dos.  (I started out with a blank disk)  It seemed
that if I tried to format an already AmigaDOS formatted disk, it did
what you described.  Oh yes, when I formatted the blank disk, I did
specify the device as well. ( probably not necessary as the instructions
state that it does default to messydisk.device.)

So far, I have not been able to mount MS1: (renamed MSH:).  I just get
a message -- reserved not assigned.  I have no idea what it is
complaining about.  I am runnning a straight WB 1.3, KS 1.2 A2000.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Randy

AMIGA /// |   randy@jato.jpl.nasa.gov  Telos - Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
     ///  | hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov    >>> Space reseved for future use <<<
 \\\///   |--------------------------------------------------------------------
  \XX/ C= | "If I wanted your opinions, I'd have given them to you!" - Mock

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/22/90)

papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
>provided? I installed the whole deal, as MS2: (driver df2:) and when I
>run format (responding with the defaults to all questions) the light goes
>up, it says cyl 0 side 0 and nothing happends.  The light stays on, but
>the cyl and side no. won't advance and nothing gets formatted.

Worked for me the first time. The only default I changed was the last one that
said 'format entire disk ...' and defaulted to no.

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu          CS-> | <-Ph
stevel@citiago  (Bitnet)               \|/               I DO ...
72335,1537      (Compuserve)            ?

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) (02/22/90)

>Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
>provided? I installed the whole deal, as MS2: (driver df2:) and when I
>run format (responding with the defaults to all questions) the light goes
>up, it says cyl 0 side 0 and nothing happends.  The light stays on, but
>the cyl and side no. won't advance and nothing gets formatted.

For me the cyl and side no did advance and it seemed the disk was formatted.
BUT, I had to remove and reinsert the disk to make the handler recognize it.
BUT, when i tried to write stuff nothing were written to the disk. At least
according to the directory listing.

I have also noted a few other bugs. MSh seems to set the DirEntry type to an
illgal value (zero ?) so list and dir lists files on a disk as DIR even though
they are plain files. Most file requesters report them correctly though.
Bug#2: Volume labels longer than eight characters are handled incorrectly, i.e
they are broken into 8+"."+3 character which causes problems.

Anyway it's a good attempt. Seems usable if one has a PC to format disks on.

------------
Robin Rosenberg

gheff@hubcap.clemson.edu (Gary R Heffelfinger) (02/22/90)

From article <2898@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>, by hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock):
> In article <23012@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>
> So far, I have not been able to mount MS1: (renamed MSH:).  I just get
> a message -- reserved not assigned.  I have no idea what it is
> complaining about.  I am runnning a straight WB 1.3, KS 1.2 A2000.
>
> Any thoughts or suggestions?

Use ARP Mount.  I couldn't get it to mount until I did.  Personally I
don't use ARP but I relented in this case.  I renamed it to Mnt and put
somewhere in my path.  Worked fine.  Note also that the AmigaDOS 'dir'
command doesn't work real well with ms1:.  ARP 'dir' is fine.
Personally, I use 'ls' (which works fine) anyway.

-Gary

--
             Gary R Heffelfinger ------ gheff@hubcap.clemson.edu
               Clemson University - Info. Systems Development

waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) (02/23/90)

In article <2898@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> hammock@mars.UUCP (Randy Hammock) writes:

>So far, I have not been able to mount MS1: (renamed MSH:).  I just get
>a message -- reserved not assigned.  I have no idea what it is
>complaining about.  I am runnning a straight WB 1.3, KS 1.2 A2000.
>
>Any thoughts or suggestions?

I got this message too.  The documentation notes that the mountlist
works with the arp 1.3 mount command, but doesn't mention the
commodore command.  As it turns out, it doesn't work with the
commodore mount.  'Reserved not assigned' seems to be referring to the
fact that the supplied mountlist does not have a 'Reserved' parameter.

However, even after mounting with the arp command, all I can get when
I try to access MSH: is an 'insufficient free store' error message.
I've got plenty of ram available, so something is clearly confused.

Looks like I won't be replacing Dos-2-Dos just yet.

--
Mark Waggoner  Santa Clara, CA    (408) 721-6306         waggoner@dtg.nsc.com
 Unofficially representing National Semiconductor Local Area Networks Group

In article <2898@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> hammock@mars.UUCP (Randy Hammock) writes:
|In article <23012@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
||Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
||provided? I installed the whole deal, as MS2: (driver df2:) and when I
||run format (responding with the defaults to all questions) the light goes
||up, it says cyl 0 side 0 and nothing happends.  The light stays on, but
||the cyl and side no. won't advance and nothing gets formatted.
|
|I was able to get messyfmt to format a MSDOS disk on drive df1: as
|verified by Dos-2-Dos.  (I started out with a blank disk)  It seemed
|that if I tried to format an already AmigaDOS formatted disk, it did
|what you described.  Oh yes, when I formatted the blank disk, I did
|specify the device as well. ( probably not necessary as the instructions
|state that it does default to messydisk.device.)
|So far, I have not been able to mount MS1: (renamed MSH:).  I just get
|a message -- reserved not assigned.  I have no idea what it is
|complaining about.  I am runnning a straight WB 1.3, KS 1.2 A2000.

If you have an external drive and only one internal drive, you should
have an MS2: (df2: corresponds to messydos unit 2).  Anyway, I was able
to format an Amiga formatted disk in two steps. First I tell him to format
nly with the FAT, then I tell it to format the entire thing.

SO I copied some files from an Amiga volume to MS2:.  It copied them back
and forth just fine.  In fact I've been able to copy the files to
an IBM PS/2 model 80 with no problem. BUT, if I use DIR or LIST on the
MS2: volume all files are listed as Directories (dir) instead of
plain text or binary files. Can anybody report this bug to Olaf?
I found no e-mail address for him. BTW, a DIR on the PS/2 showed the files
correctly as plain files and not directories.

Tonight I'll try to copy an "original" 720K PS/2 disk and see what
happens.  All in all, even with the bugs a pretty nice piece of
software.

In article <388@icebox.nsc.com> waggoner@icebox.UUCP (Mark Waggoner) writes:
|In article <2898@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> hammock@mars.UUCP (Randy Hammock) writes:
||So far, I have not been able to mount MS1: (renamed MSH:).  I just get
||a message -- reserved not assigned.  I have no idea what it is
||complaining about.  I am runnning a straight WB 1.3, KS 1.2 A2000.
|
|I got this message too.  The documentation notes that the mountlist
|works with the arp 1.3 mount command, but doesn't mention the
|commodore command.  As it turns out, it doesn't work with the
|commodore mount.  'Reserved not assigned' seems to be referring to the
|fact that the supplied mountlist does not have a 'Reserved' parameter.
|However, even after mounting with the arp command, all I can get when
|I try to access MSH: is an 'insufficient free store' error message.
|I've got plenty of ram available, so something is clearly confused.

I have WB 1.3 and KS 1.2 and "mount" worked just fine for me on unit 0
and 2 (which correspond to my df0: and df2:)

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/23/90)

hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock) writes:

>So far, I have not been able to mount MS1: (renamed MSH:).  I just get
>a message -- reserved not assigned.  I have no idea what it is
>complaining about.  I am runnning a straight WB 1.3, KS 1.2 A2000.

There is a variable in mountlists called Reserved. It defines the number of
sectors (I think) that are reserved for booting the disk. I just added a
Reserved=0 to the MS1: mountdisk entry since it seemed to want it. Everything
appears to work fine now.

hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock) (02/23/90)

In article <23027@usc.edu> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>I have WB 1.3 and KS 1.2 and "mount" worked just fine for me on unit 0
>and 2 (which correspond to my df0: and df2:)
Thanks for this and the other reply, I do not have an external 3.5" but do
have 2 internal 3.5 drives , therefore DF0: and DF1:.  I'll try the ARP
mount command and see what happens.

Cheers

In article <1990Feb22.200430.621@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:
>There is a variable in mountlists called Reserved. It defines the number of
>sectors (I think) that are reserved for booting the disk. I just added a
>Reserved=0 to the MS1: mountdisk entry since it seemed to want it. Everything
>appears to work fine now.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a shot.  Hope this also helps
the other folks who are having difficulty.

Cheers
Randy

AMIGA /// |   randy@jato.jpl.nasa.gov  Telos - Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
     ///  | hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov    >>> Space reseved for future use <<<
 \\\///   |--------------------------------------------------------------------
  \XX/ C= | "If I wanted your opinions, I'd have given them to you!" - Mock

hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock) (02/23/90)

In article <1990Feb22.200430.621@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) writes:
>hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock) writes:
>
>>So far, I have not been able to mount MS1: (renamed MSH:).  I just get
>>a message -- reserved not assigned.  I have no idea what it is
>>complaining about.  I am runnning a straight WB 1.3, KS 1.2 A2000.
>
>There is a variable in mountlists called Reserved. It defines the number of
>sectors (I think) that are reserved for booting the disk. I just added a
>Reserved=0 to the MS1: mountdisk entry since it seemed to want it. Everything
>appears to work fine now.

I just added the RESERVED = 0 line to the MountList and tried it out.  Works
like it should now. THANKS!!!  I have noticed the problem that I think Marco
said he has, it seems that all files are listed as "filename (dir)".  I can
read and write the files ok but they all show as (dir).  This occurs even
on a disk that was created on a PC.  At any rate, we're getting there.

Cheers
Randy

AMIGA /// |   randy@jato.jpl.nasa.gov  Telos - Jet Propulsion Laboratory - NASA
     ///  | hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov    >>> Space reseved for future use <<<
 \\\///   |--------------------------------------------------------------------
  \XX/ C= | "If I wanted your opinions, I'd have given them to you!" - Mock

I've been able to read/write stuff on IBM 720K disks AND read stuff
off IBM 2Meg disks (the ones with the HD label on the plastic).  I am
assuming I'll only be able to read up to 720K though given the current
mountlist.  Does anybody know the number of cylinders for these disks?

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman

" Seaman) (02/24/90)

papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
< I've been able to read/write stuff on IBM 720K disks AND read stuff
< off IBM 2Meg disks (the ones with the HD label on the plastic).  I am
< assuming I'll only be able to read up to 720K though given the current
< mountlist.  Does anybody know the number of cylinders for these disks?
<
< -- Marco

HD MS-DOS disks have 80 cylinders, with 18 sectors/cylinder.

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |  //__--\O/--__\\    nI' yIyIn 'ej yIchep.

" Seaman) (02/24/90)

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) writes:
< >Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
< >provided? I installed the whole deal, as MS2: (driver df2:) and when I
< >run format (responding with the defaults to all questions) the light goes
< >up, it says cyl 0 side 0 and nothing happends.  The light stays on, but
< >the cyl and side no. won't advance and nothing gets formatted.
<
< For me the cyl and side no did advance and it seemed the disk was formatted.
< BUT, I had to remove and reinsert the disk to make the handler recognize it.
< BUT, when i tried to write stuff nothing were written to the disk. At least
< according to the directory listing.

I have had no trouble formatting fresh disks or previously Amiga formatted
disks.  I have tested them on my 386 MS-DOS box at work, and they work fine.
I use ARP 1.3, but (other than mount) I can't see where that would make a
difference.  BTW, the docs instruct you to remove a newly formatted disk
and re-insert it for the handler to 'see' it.

< I have also noted a few other bugs. MSh seems to set the DirEntry type to an
< illgal value (zero ?) so list and dir lists files on a disk as DIR even though
< they are plain files. Most file requesters report them correctly though.

If you use ARP's Dir, or ls (I use 3.1), there is not a problem.  Ls is
better anyway, because it doesn't throw a silly requester at you when you
make a typo in a device name (such as typing fd0: instead of df0:).  It
just says "fd0: not found".

< Bug#2: Volume labels longer than eight characters are handled incorrectly,
< i.e they are broken into 8+"."+3 character which causes problems.

This is not a bug, it's a feature :-).  Actaully it is a requirement.  Volume
labels on MS-DOS are treated as a special file (OK, so they're directory
entries, but not real files), and therefore must conform to the MS-DOS filename
template.

< Anyway it's a good attempt. Seems usable if one has a PC to format disks on.
<
< ------------
< Robin Rosenberg

I use it in conjunction with my office 386 (saves lots of download time
for c.b.a. postings), and have had no problems (well, almost none).  I
can format disks on either machine and have them recognized by the other.

The only repeatable problem I've had so far is that, since MS-DOS disks
don't have a unique time stamp on them (at least through DOS 3.3), if you
have to disks with the same name (or no name), you will only get one WB
icon.  This is really a "non-problem", I suppose, since there is no point
to using MS-DOS disks from WB (although you CAN give your MS-DOS disks
a disk icon).

I also found a rather interesting side-effect.  If you change the mountlist
entry, and add "Mount = 1", all goes well until you try to kill that
copy of the handler with the supplied 'die' program.  Intuition gets
*VERY* confused...

--

stevel@tybalt.caltech.edu (Steve Ludtke) (02/24/90)

hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock) writes:

>I just added the RESERVED = 0 line to the MountList and tried it out.  Works
>like it should now. THANKS!!!  I have noticed the problem that I think Marco
>said he has, it seems that all files are listed as "filename (dir)".  I can
>read and write the files ok but they all show as (dir).  This occurs even
>on a disk that was created on a PC.  At any rate, we're getting there.

Hmm, interesting. I'm using ARP 1.3 (except for the mount command),and every
dos command I've used works perfectly with the driver. Additionally I was
using Excellecnce, and it's file requester correctly showed all files and file
sizes on a msdos disk. It also works ok with the ARP file requestor. Are you
using the mountlist as supplied in the docs (+ the reserved line), if so,
maybe you should give arp a try and see what happens.

In <TNHFS6@drivax.UUCP>, liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) writes:
>papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>
>>Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
>>provided? ... The light stays on, but the cyl and side no. won't advance
>>and nothing gets formatted.
>
>Well, mounting was successful but the above mentioned symptoms still remain
>for me.  What is troubling about this is that the very same thing occurs
>when attempting to use Werner Gunthers 3.5" patch to PCformat/PCcopy and the
>Omni Tool from Project D (allows copying of PC format disks). It also happens
>with games like Shadow of the Beast.  The drive light goes on, stays on, and
>can't be accessed short of rebooting.  Nor can the process be Nuked (GOMF) or
>killed in any way.
>
>I am curious what might be the common thread here.  This is happening on a
>completely stock B2000 Rev 4.2 .  If anyone is having similar problems please
>contact me.  I would like to narrow down the possible causes.  At this point,
>I'm thinking it must be hardware related.

Double-check your mountlist. I initially had it set to 'Unit = 2' as in the
example mountlist. Since I have only DF0:, I would have expected it to say 'no
disk present' or similar, but it actually looked like it was formatting the
drive. It did a number of differnt things.. sometimes locking up on the first
cylinder, sometimes on the last.

Once I changed the mountlist to be correct, it worked fine.

I just thought I might add that since the filesystem and device are implemented
as a standard Amiga handler and device, it is also possible to read any block
using the DoIO call, as does Sectorama or DEdit, or my disk scanning program.
Neat stuff. Now if I only had a use for it. :-)

-larry

--
Gallium Arsenide is the technology of the future;
  always has been, always will be.

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (02/25/90)

papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
>provided? ... The light stays on, but the cyl and side no. won't advance
>and nothing gets formatted.

Well, mounting was successful but the above mentioned symptoms still remain
for me.  What is troubling about this is that the very same thing occurs
when attempting to use Werner Gunthers 3.5" patch to PCformat/PCcopy and the
Omni Tool from Project D (allows copying of PC format disks). It also happens
with games like Shadow of the Beast.  The drive light goes on, stays on, and
can't be accessed short of rebooting.  Nor can the process be Nuked (GOMF) or
killed in any way.

I am curious what might be the common thread here.  This is happening on a
completely stock B2000 Rev 4.2 .  If anyone is having similar problems please
contact me.  I would like to narrow down the possible causes.  At this point,
I'm thinking it must be hardware related.

Thanks!

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) (02/25/90)

In article <2414@cpsc6a.att.com>, crs@cpsc6a.att.com (Chris "I'm Outta Here!" Seaman) writes:
> rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF) writes:
> < >the cyl and side no. won't advance and nothing gets formatted.
> <
> I use ARP 1.3, but (other than mount) I can't see where that would make a
> difference.  BTW, the docs instruct you to remove a newly formatted disk
> and re-insert it for the handler to 'see' it.

I added the line Reserved=0 as someone mentioned earlier and it works
now, also with AmigaDos mount. So much for that.

> < I have also noted a few other bugs. MSh seems to set the DirEntry type to an
> < illgal value (zero ?) so list and dir lists files on a disk as DIR even though
> < they are plain files. Most file requesters report them correctly though.>
> If you use ARP's Dir, or ls (I use 3.1), there is not a problem.  Ls is
> better anyway, because it doesn't throw a silly requester at you when you
> make a typo in a device name (such as typing fd0: instead of df0:).  It
> just says "fd0: not found".

Hmm. I just checked this. It's amigados DIR and LIST which have the
bugs. Thay seem to check for specific values. So it's not a MSH bug.

> < Bug#2: Volume labels longer than eight characters are handled incorrectly,
> < i.e they are broken into 8+"."+3 character which causes problems.
>
> This is not a bug, it's a feature :-).  Actaully it is a requirement.  Volume
> labels on MS-DOS are treated as a special file (OK, so they're directory
> entries, but not real files), and therefore must conform to the MS-DOS filename
> template.

This IS a bug since if you get the volume name from the volume node
you will get one name and from Examine() yuo will get anither. Anyway,
the fact that volume names are stored as directory entries doesn't
mean that they should be treated as such under AmigaDos, it's just the
way they are stored. If the volume if called LONGDISKNAME the volume
node say so. Examine says it's called LONGDISK.NAM. Just the fact that
some programs get the full name of a file before opening it and those
programs don't work.

> < Anyway it's a good attempt. Seems usable if one has a PC to format disks on.
>
> I use it in conjunction with my office 386 (saves lots of download time
> for c.b.a. postings), and have had no problems (well, almost none).  I
> can format disks on either machine and have them recognized by the other.
>
> The only repeatable problem I've had so far is that, since MS-DOS disks
> don't have a unique time stamp on them (at least through DOS 3.3), if you
> have to disks with the same name (or no name), you will only get one WB
> icon.  This is really a "non-problem", I suppose, since there is no point
> to using MS-DOS disks from WB (although you CAN give your MS-DOS disks
> a disk icon).

I guess this could be fixed by storing the volume data with the volume name since the volume name is stored as a directory entry.

There is one more problem if you want to use messyformat disks from
Workbench; You can't since it impossible to have a file with the
extension '.INFO'.

Also, it would be nice if someone could tell me what the compiler options
for Manx means so I could try to fix the misfeatures myself if nobody else
has.

------------------
Robin Rosenberg

kms@uncecs.edu (Ken Steele) (02/26/90)

My experience with MSH is slightly different than has been
reported.  Here is what I have found on my stock 2000,
GVP Hardcard, 1 internal and 1 external floppy drive.

I mounted the filesystem on my external drive (as MS2:).

1)  MS2: will mount whether or not the "Reserved = 0" is
in the mountlist.  If "Reserved = 0" is not included then
'info' shows 721K on the drive, if the line is included then
'info' shows 720K.

2)  I also get the 'every file is a (DIR)' problem.  But
messydos can tell the difference between directories and
files.  I can 'type' a file but get an error message when
I try to type a dir.

3)  Messy format works for me (somewhat ;-)  I can format
a disk (whether it has been previously formatted or not);
copy to it or copy from it.  I accepted the default value
with the exception of the last two commands (where the
default is NOT to format the entire disk!).

4)  An old version (1.6) of Dos2Dos gives me "MS-DOS read
error" when I try to examine a disk formatted by messyfmt.
I don't get such an error when I use a disk formatted on
a PS/2 (720k format).

    I haven't tried reading the messyfmt-ed disk on a PS/2
or reading the messyfmt-ed disk with any other utility.

Ken
--
Ken Steele   Dept. of Psychology    kms@ecsvax.bitnet
             Mars Hill College      kms@ecsvax.uncecs.edu

d5kwedb@dtek.chalmers.se. (Kristian Wedberg) (02/27/90)

On the whole, I like MSH, but I've run into two problems.

I edited the mountlist on my A1000, and mounted MS1:
When inserting a PC-disk, AmigaDOS gronks the drive a couple of time, and then
leaves it alone, as it should. When inserting an Amiga-disk, MSH gronks for
some time, and then puts up an "Unreadable disk!"-requester. Not a BIG problem,
just bothersome.

My other problem is I too sometimes get 'hidden' files with MSH. These files
show up with ARPs Dir or the filerequester, but not with list. Turning of
the hidden-flag didn't make any difference.

Have you got the same problem? I haven't seen the requester-thing mentioned,
so maybe I'm doing something I shouldn't?

	kitte					d5kwedb@dtek.chalmers.se

alt@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (art.l.todesco) (03/01/90)

I downloaded the recent "binaries" posting of MSH.  This is the program to
allow reading IBM disks on the Ami.  I think I am missing something, but I
don't seem to understand how to using it from reading the man file.  Can
someone please help.

Art Todesco
att!ihlpf!alt

U211344@HNYKUN11.BITNET (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert) (03/03/90)

I have been on a holiday for a week, starting when all the discussion
about MSH: broke loose. Sorry for the delay; I will now attempt to
clarify all problems that I have seen posted about so far at the
same time. Some problems have been answered already; in that case
you can see this article as a summary.

From: papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa)
Date: 22 Feb 90 02:34:56 GMT

>Has anybody been able to format a MessyDOS disk with the format utility
>provided? I installed the whole deal, as MS2: (driver df2:) and when I
>run format (responding with the defaults to all questions) the light goes
>up, it says cyl 0 side 0 and nothing happends.  The light stays on, but
>the cyl and side no. won't advance and nothing gets formatted.

Some suggestions for problems like this one are:

- Check that you specify the correct Unit in the Mountlist. For MS2:
you should specify Unit = 2.

- Make sure you answer the question 'Format whole disk (enter 1)' with
1 (or any nonzero value for that matter).

- Someone suggested a hardware problem, since similar symptoms were
exhibited by other programs on his Amiga. This is outside my
competention; MSH is probably the closest to actual hardware I ever
want to be.

From: hammock@mars.jpl.nasa.gov (Randy Hammock)
Date: 22 Feb 90 09:25:10 GMT

>So far, I have not been able to mount MS1: (renamed MSH:).  I just get
>a message -- reserved not assigned.  I have no idea what it is
>complaining about.  I am runnning a straight WB 1.3, KS 1.2 A2000.

It seems that the Commodore and Arp Mount commands use different
criteria in what parameters you must supply, and which ones you may
leave out. That is why I explicitely mentioned in the msh.man file that
the Mountlist works with the Arp version of Mount. If any other version
of Mount complains about missing parameters, feel free to specify them
as 0 since they will not be used if I left them out of my example.

From: rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF)
Date: 22 Feb 90 13:57:59 GMT

>I have also noted a few other bugs. MSh seems to set the DirEntry type to an
>illgal value (zero ?) so list and dir lists files on a disk as DIR even though
>they are plain files. Most file requesters report them correctly though.

I set the fib_DirEntryType to either -1 or +1. According to the
AmigaDOS manual (which I don't have right here), and/or the include
file libraries/dos.h or libraries/dosextens.h, it only matters if the
value is positive or negative.  As someone else already mentioned, it
seems that the Commodore versions of DIR and LIST check for specific
values to be present. If so, this is a bug Commodore has to fix (shame
on Commodore for not following their own documentation). As a stopgap
you could find out which specific values the normal file system uses,
change FILE_FILE and FILE_DIR, and recompile. The Arp versions of dir
and list (which I use), and also other dir/list replacement
programs, work fine.

>Bug#2: Volume labels longer than eight characters are handled incorrectly, i.e
>they are broken into 8+"."+3 character which causes problems.

Yes, when you Examine a lock on the root directory this happens. This
is wrong. It will be fixed.

From: waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner)
Date: 22 Feb 90 17:45:37 GMT

>However, even after mounting with the arp command, all I can get when
>I try to access MSH: is an 'insufficient free store' error message.
>I've got plenty of ram available, so something is clearly confused.

Yes, and I am confused too. Could you try some more and give me more
information (like configuration and such)? Are there other people with
identical problems?

From: papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa)
Date: 23 Feb 90 07:21:31 GMT

>I've been able to read/write stuff on IBM 720K disks AND read stuff
>off IBM 2Meg disks (the ones with the HD label on the plastic).  I am
>assuming I'll only be able to read up to 720K though given the current
>mountlist.  Does anybody know the number of cylinders for these disks?

No matter what Mountlist you use, you will not be able to use these
2Meg disks at their full capacity. The transfer rate is different
from normal disks which the hardware is unable to handle. But if you
manage to hack your trackdisk hardware to do the HD speeds, just
change MS_SPT_MAX to 18 and recompile. It should work then....

From: UH2@psuvm.psu.edu (Lee Sailer)
Date: 23 Feb 90 16:51:13 GMT

>When you try the msdos format command, you follow standard Amiga command
>line syntax, which results in MSH reformatting your systems boot disk.
[...]

After you entered 42, of course. Maybe I should add a verification
message which tells you exactly _which_ floppy you will be formatting.

>Hmmmm.  It occurs to me that I might be flaming.  Sorry.  I guess I am just
>reacting to the statement that MSH will crush Cross-Dos.  I hope not.
>Two is better than one.

Of course I was just trying to attract everybodies attention. And I didn't
use the word 'crush'...  :-)

From: ssd@sugar.hackercorp.com (Scott Denham)
Date: 26 Feb 90 20:17:12 GMT

>  All in all I'd like to
>thank the authors for a great contribution to the Amiga community; I've
>felt such a product has been needed in the PD for a long time, and even
>had hopes of writing such a critter myself, before becomeing hopelessly
>lost in the TD_RAW... errors in trackdisk and convincing myself that my
>hardware didn't work!......

That is exactly why I wrote it, and why I didn't use TD_RAW... commands,
in that order.

From: crs@cpsc6a.att.com (Chris "I'm Outta Here!" Seaman)
Date: 23 Feb 90 18:36:04 GMT

>The only repeatable problem I've had so far is that, since MS-DOS disks
>don't have a unique time stamp on them (at least through DOS 3.3), if you
>have to disks with the same name (or no name), you will only get one WB
>icon.  This is really a "non-problem", I suppose, since there is no point
>to using MS-DOS disks from WB (although you CAN give your MS-DOS disks
>a disk icon).

This is not only a problem with WB; MSH itself is not able to distinguish
such disks. Fortunately the manual warns about this effect. The best
workaround is to give each disk a different name. In my opinion this
should be done all the time, not only with MSH:.

>I also found a rather interesting side-effect.  If you change the mountlist
>entry, and add "Mount = 1", all goes well until you try to kill that
>copy of the handler with the supplied 'die' program.  Intuition gets
>*VERY* confused...

Actually, I think the Workbench gets confused. It must be one of those
programs that expect MSH 'to remain present even while there are no
open or locked files'. (as per msh.man.)

From: rosenber@ra.abo.fi (Robin Rosenberg INF)
Date: 25 Feb 90 09:34:25 GMT

>Also, it would be nice if someone could tell me what the compiler options
>for Manx means so I could try to fix the misfeatures myself if nobody else
>has.

+c large code
+d large data
+b no startup code
+r compiler may use A4 as register variable (so you must also have +cd)
+x3,5 deferred stack cleanup and inline strlen/strcpy.
+Ifile use precompiled header file (I use all non-Manx include files)
-Dsymbol #define symbol
-W leave label names in executable (for debugging).

From: lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips)
Date: 24 Feb 90 21:32:02 GMT

>I just thought I might add that since the filesystem and device are implemented
>as a standard Amiga handler and device, it is also possible to read any block
>using the DoIO call, as does Sectorama or DEdit, or my disk scanning program.
>Neat stuff. Now if I only had a use for it. :-)

Of course. That is why I went through the trouble of making a separate
device and file system. In its early days, MSH was a standalone program
called MS. Then I made it a real handler, and it became MSH. Even later,
I separated the sector I/O into the messydisk.device. This makes it much
easier to use it with other programs or file systems. Try one of those
mixed entries from the Mountlist (MF1:, DS1:). Useless, but fun.

From: d5kwedb@dtek.chalmers.se. (Kristian Wedberg)
Date: 26 Feb 90 22:34:01 GMT

>When inserting a PC-disk, AmigaDOS gronks the drive a couple of time, and then
>leaves it alone, as it should. When inserting an Amiga-disk, MSH gronks for
>some time, and then puts up an "Unreadable disk!"-requester. Not a BIG problem,
>just bothersome.

I have thought a long time what should be done with read problems when
you insert a disk: to tell the user, or not to tell the user. I decided
to tell the user, since it was easier to program ;-). Better too many
warnings, than too few.

>My other problem is I too sometimes get 'hidden' files with MSH. These files
>show up with ARPs Dir or the filerequester, but not with list. Turning of
>the hidden-flag didn't make any difference.

If the file has the HIDDEN attribute on the messy disk, then Examine()
will have the hidden bit set. If the file is then really hidden, is
of course a decision the directory listing program should make. Of course
turning off the hidden flag should always make the file visible. I'll
look into this, although I tested it with the Arp List command and the
hidden bit seemed to turn on and off correctly.

From: sheffler@sheltie.CS.CMU.EDU (Thomas Sheffler)
Subject: MSH:  'die' and 'ignore'
Date: 28 Feb 90 18:13:10 GMT

>Anyway: after I'm done using MSH: I thought I could use the "die"
>program to terminate the handler and remove it from memory.
>What's the proper incantation?

die msh:   (or whatever you use instead of the name msh)

>And, is there some way to make MSH stop putting up an alert every
>time an AMIGADOS disk goes in the df1: drive.  (It reports a
>messydos read error of some sort).  Does the "ignore" program
>have something to do with this?

(see above). The Ignore program allows you to ignore CRC errors.
This means that there must be valid sectors on the disk, but that
they are not checked to see if the contents of the sectors is correct.

Freely_Distributable=Greetings(Not_For_Any_Commercial_Purpose)->
        Olaf.Seibert;

Astounding News! By Express Via Norfolk!   OS+2 is a trademark of
The Atlantic Crossed in Three Days!        Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert
[E.A. Poe, 1844]                           U211344@hnykun11.bitnet

U211344@HNYKUN11.BITNET (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert) (03/05/90)

In a previous article I wrote:
>I set the fib_DirEntryType to either -1 or +1. According to the
>AmigaDOS manual (which I don't have right here), and/or the include
>file libraries/dos.h or libraries/dosextens.h, it only matters if the
>value is positive or negative.  As someone else already mentioned, it
>seems that the Commodore versions of DIR and LIST check for specific
>values to be present. If so, this is a bug Commodore has to fix (shame
>on Commodore for not following their own documentation).

As it seems now, there is a bug in the BCPL List and Dir commands, but
a different one. According to libraries/dos.h, the member
fib_DirEntryType of a struct FileInfoBlock indicates if a Lock
refers to a file or to a directory. There is also a member
fib_EntryType, but nothing is said about it. (in the hardcopy in
the 1.1 RKM/Libraries and Devices).

If I look in the 1.1 AmigaDos manual, under Examine and ExNext,
there is a reference to some structure member indicating file or
directory, but it is unclear which one of the above is meant since
the name used seems to be the original BCPL name. To find out
which member to use one looks in libraries/dos.h, and indeed all
programs that I have seen use fib_DirEntryType.

In practice, fib_DirEntryType and fib_EntryType have the same
value (with the OFS), as far as I have been able to test. I assume
that the BCPL Dir and List commands use the fib_EntryType, which
is undocumented, or at best just vaguely referred to by the
AmigaDOS manual.
So in my opinion the bug is entirely with Commodore, since they
produced an unclear AmigaDOS manual, and the disambiguating information
in the RKM disambiguates in another direction than they thought.
Or something like that.

So I thought out a terrible kludge. The info I used to store in
fib_EntryType (undocumented, so free for a handler's private use,
right?), is now stored in fib_Comment[1]. This is just temporary,
because Commodore should fix its List and Dir, since it is too
late to change the documentation. And the kludge will break when
some program changes the comment in a FileInfoBlock before passing
it to ExNext().

When I have collected all comments and fixed 'all' bugs, I will
issue patches for the source, and new binaries.

waggoner@dtg.nsc.com (Mark Waggoner) (03/08/90)

In article <9003050934.AA17890@jade.berkeley.edu> U211344@HNYKUN11.BITNET (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert) writes:
>> (I write)
>>However, even after mounting with the arp command, all I can get when
>>I try to access MSH: is an 'insufficient free store' error message.
>>I've got plenty of ram available, so something is clearly confused.
>
>Yes, and I am confused too. Could you try some more and give me more
>information (like configuration and such)? Are there other people with
>identical problems?

I found that my error was not setting the unit number correctly.  I
had just blindly (and stupidly) assumed that MSH: was set up for unit
0 in the mountlist when it was actually set to unit 1.  I don't have a
unit 1.  It would have been nice if the mount command could have
informed me of my error.  Anyway, it works now.

--
Mark Waggoner  Santa Clara, CA    (408) 721-6306         waggoner@dtg.nsc.com
 Unofficially representing National Semiconductor Local Area Networks Group
                   Officially misrepresenting myself.

davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) (03/09/90)

Marco....when will a new release of ATalk 3 be available? Also
what is this MS Dos utility everyone is talking about.
--
David W. Martin author of "Tech Corner" INFO magazine.
plink: OSS705 CompuServe: 73617,1620 Games are fun, but

In article <5358@sugar.hackercorp.com> davidm@sugar.hackercorp.com (David Martin) writes:
>Marco....when will a new release of ATalk 3 be available?

Hopefully soon. The code is all finished, but OXXI has to format and
print the new manual. Our product is no. 3 in the queue, since there
are some of the Aegis products that are ahead of us. This is part of
the problem a company like OXXI goes through when its product base
increases (like picking up the stuff from the defunct Aegis and
MicroIllusions, and PAR Software, etc..)  Everything goes slower. Stay tuned.

>what is this MS Dos utility everyone is talking about.

MSH is a program that allows you to read 720K MS-DOS disks. Quite nice.

In <13617@baldrick.udel.EDU>, FILLMORE%EMRCAN.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca writes:
>I am having problems with the mount command for MSH.  When I type "mount ms1:"
>(mountlist is set up for MS1:) I get the error:
>
>    Reserved not assigned

Add the line  'Reserved = 0' to the mountlist entry.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

FILLMORE%EMRCAN.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (03/12/90)

I am having problems with the mount command for MSH.  When I type "mount ms1:"
(mountlist is set up for MS1:) I get the error:

    Reserved not assigned

This must be coming out of the mount program - I scanned the MSH source
for this message and it doesn't exist.

I tried it on both floppy drives, tried killing VirusX, and tried both
floppy formats in the drive during the mount - no luck.

Does anybody know what's happening here?

BTW, wouldn't it be nice if Commodore bought MSH and added it to 1.4?
________________________
Bob Fillmore, Systems Software & Communications     BITNET:  FILLMORE@EMRCAN
  Computer Services Centre,                         BIX:     bfillmore
  Energy, Mines, & Resources Canada                 Voice:   (613) 992-2832
  588 Booth St., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada  K1A 0E4   FAX:     (613) 996-2953

dorf@iesd.auc.dk (Thomas Dorf Nielsen) (03/13/90)

In article <9003051059.AA18328@jade.berkeley.edu> U211344@HNYKUN11.BITNET (Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert) writes:

>[stuff deleted..]
>
>When I have collected all comments and fixed 'all' bugs, I will
>issue patches for the source, and new binaries.

When is 'when' ? - just approximately!
--
dorf@iesd.auc.dk

If you can read this you are too close to reality -- step back.