[comp.sys.amiga] 000 for your 1000

91_bickingd@gar.union.edu (Bicking, David) (03/02/90)

	Recently, I have been reading several posts COMPLAINING about the A1000
upgrade offer from Commodore...

	What F**king babies you are!!!!!!!  The Amiga 1000 is over *5* YEARS
OLD.  Commodore doesn't HAVE to offer this upgrade.  They could simply drop the
support entirely, leaving you all to your own devices.
	YOU PAID $1000 FOR YOUR COMPUTERS 5 years ago.  Commodore is offering
to buy back the KEYBOARD for $1000 NOW.  Although I am a CS/Eco major, you
don't need to be an economics professor to know that THEY ARE GIVING YOU A
GIFT!  You can KEEP your CPU.  You can easilly use it to parallel process with
your new CPU using PUBLIC DOMAIN software.

	C-A is saying: "The future of the amiga is not in the 1000, we wish to
assure that ALL our customers have the opportunity to grow with us".  Do you
really think they can afford to give you a $2000 computer for nothing????

	There are people complaining about the "loss" if you are a student who
wants to upgrade at the discount price.... So sell your 1000 to someone who
DOESN'T have the student discount available:  YOU BOTH MAKE OUT LIKE A BANDIT.

	Suck it up.  Send flames directly to the address below to save more
bitching and moaning on the network.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-
#DEFINE std.disclaimers
"A.N.A.R.C.H.Y. :  it isn't a belief, it's a way of life!"

				\   /        Single-Tasking?????
Dave Bicking         	      *	(0 o) *            Just
Union College Box 152             |                say
Schenectady, NY 12308           |-@-|              NO!!!       //
91_bickingd@union.bitnet				     \X/  Amiga
91_bickingd@gar.union.edu

amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Boing) (03/02/90)

In article <12659@baldrick.udel.EDU> 91_bickingd@gar.union.edu (Bicking, David) writes:
)	YOU PAID $1000 FOR YOUR COMPUTERS 5 years ago.  Commodore is offering
)to buy back the KEYBOARD for $1000 NOW.

actually, I paid about $1800 for my A1000 back in December of '85, although
that included 1080 monitor, mouse and keyboard.
-----
  //    boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!  boing!   //
\X/  								       \X/
uhccux amiga pd software | amiga@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | amiga@uhccux.bitnet
  "just another peon"    | baron@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu | baron@uhccux.bitnet

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (03/03/90)

From article <12659@baldrick.udel.EDU>, by 91_bickingd@gar.union.edu (Bicking, David):
> 	YOU PAID $1000 FOR YOUR COMPUTERS 5 years ago.  Commodore is offering
> to buy back the KEYBOARD for $1000 NOW.

     Let's be realistic.  Commodore is offering $1000 off their list price.
You turn in everything except your monitor and hand over $999.  In return
you get an Amiga 2000.  Maybe you can make a deal with the dealer to keep
everything except the keyboard.  But you can keep your entire Amiga 1000
and buy a 2000 with 1 meg of RAM for $1299.  So the trade-in is really
worth about $300--less if the 2000 you get with the trade in doesn't have a
meg of RAM.

     It's impressive that Commodore has twice offered a trade-in on the
Amiga 1000.  Not many computer companies have done as much for their older
customers.  But let's quit exaggerating the value of the trade in.
Commodore is offering a trade-in allowance of $300 for your Amiga 1000, not
$1000.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

" Seaman) (03/06/90)

<
<      Let's be realistic.  Commodore is offering $1000 off their list price.
< You turn in everything except your monitor and hand over $999.  In return
< you get an Amiga 2000.  Maybe you can make a deal with the dealer to keep
< everything except the keyboard.  But you can keep your entire Amiga 1000
< and buy a 2000 with 1 meg of RAM for $1299.  So the trade-in is really
< worth about $300--less if the 2000 you get with the trade in doesn't have a
< meg of RAM.

I am not aware of any Amiga 2000 configurations currently offered with
less than 1 MB RAM.  Also, there have been a number of "it's really only
worth $300" comments.  Has anyone verified this?  It may well be that the
offer is still worth $1000, even at the somewhat discounted street price.
Of course, if the price you quote is from a mail order house, then you
can and should expect no offers from Commodore.

<      It's impressive that Commodore has twice offered a trade-in on the
< Amiga 1000.  Not many computer companies have done as much for their older
< customers.

Name two companies (besides Commodore) that have ever offered such a trade-in.

< --Fabbian Dufoe
< UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |    ___-/^\-___          qatul batlh.
crs@cpsc6a.att.com <or>           |  //__--\O/--__\\        qatul Huch.

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/07/90)

IBM once offer trade in for IBM PC-AT for an PS/2.  The only problem was that
the PS/2 they offered in return was at the same capability as the AT that was
trade in.

Ehman Enginneering let me trade-in my hard drive twice, but I only had it a
couple of month, but they did let me trade it in at full price though.

monty@sagpd1.UUCP (Monty Saine) (03/13/90)

In article <2416@cpsc6a.att.com> crs@cpsc6a.att.com (Chris "I'm Outta Here!" Seaman) writes:
>>>< 91_bickingd@gar.union.edu (Bicking, David) wrote:
>< > 	YOU PAID $1000 FOR YOUR COMPUTERS 5 years ago.  Commodore is offering
>< > to buy back the KEYBOARD for $1000 NOW.
>>><
><      Let's be realistic.  Commodore is offering $1000 off their list price.

Let's be even more realistic, many of you are forgetting that the trade in also offers much more then $1000 dollars for the higher priced packages.....

Quit crying, either take up CBM on there offer or keep your A1000. NO ONE IS
FORCING anyone to trade. It isn't every computer company that even offers.

Monty Saine