[comp.sys.amiga] Infinity Machine

kmh20822@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kevin Hill) (09/18/89)

In the latest Ami World, I saw an add for something called the Infinity Machine
from M.A.S.T. It claimed to have a 68030 slot, 8 megs of 16 or 32 bit ram,
and a SCSI controller. Has anyone seen a review of it?

Sounds to me like this is the only expansion an A500 would ever need!!
It says also the memory works with either the 68000 or the 68030, this and the
fact that it has the controller built in makes it a steal at $399! Am I correct
in assuming a regular controller and empty mem. exp. would cost more than this?

Also, does anyone know if its internal or external? (I wouldn't want a 12 x 12
x 6 box on my desktop!)

Anyway, any info about this seemingly remarkable product would be greatly
appreciated..

--Kevin

ahoffman@skat.usc.edu (Alan M. Hoffman) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep17.231920.11934@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kmh20822@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Kevin Hill) writes:

>Also, does anyone know if its internal or external? (I wouldn't want a 12 x 12
>x 6 box on my desktop!)

So?  You buy five feet of ribbon cable and a couple of connectors and toss
the expansion box on the floor.

----------------------------------------------------------  OO  OO   OOO   OOOO
   Alan M. Hoffman/UCS Operations                          OO  OO  OO    OO
   ARPA: ahoffman@skat.usc.edu   Compuserve: 74066,1363   OO  OO    OO  OO
   UUCP: uunet!usc!ahoffman      Phone: (818) 548-5182     OOO   OOO     OOOO

880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) (02/01/90)

news@geocub.greco-prog.fr (le facteur fnet) writes:
>	Do you know the Infinity Machine from M.A.S.T. ?

>	In France, they promise it for the end of Feb. but I never see any
>	news about it on USENET ......

I've been quite curious myself about it.  The release date I was told 2 days
ago was in April. (this is the 3rd delay)
Supposedly they are having problems with getting their ASICs.  I also think
it's a bit of too many iron's in the fire.  They're just getting their
fireball SCSI controller out, and a number of other products.

|Ralph Doncaster        Don't Steal - The Government hates competition.     |
|880274d@AcadiaU.CA     329 CHI, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS B0P 1X0   |
|UUCP: {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!880274d  BITNET: 880274d@Acadia  |

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (02/02/90)

I talked to M.A.S.T. yesterday (1/31).  They are not shipping either the
Infinity Machine or the Tiny Tiger II due, they say, to non-shipment from
an "overseas" parts supplier.  They do not have a catalog of products due to
"not getting their stuff back from the printers".  They do have a flyer about
the Infinity Machine.  They sent it to me in December.  However it doesn't
say anything of much interest.  I'll summarize from memory:

    The Infinity Machine is an expansion box (so you'll have all those PAL
    grounding problems you have learned to love).  It has a DMA disk port.
    It has a socket for a 68030 (or was that 020?), and you can also put in
    a fast 68000 using an adapter board that plugs into the 030 socket.  It
    has 32-bit memory.  You buy the memory and processor speed you need for
    the speed at which you want to run.  There's a 64Kbyte Static RAM "cache"
    that you can use to load program segments that want to run fast.  Note
    the OS provides no support for this, you have to do it all yourself.  It
    has a second slot in the box for an "Infinity Video" board.  The box is
    quite tall.  It has an external power supply.

As of mid December, M.A.S.T. had not got their first production run of
the infinity machine.  This is a thing that makes me nervous.  Having
trouble with their suppliers and printer is also suggestive.  Nevertheless,
the Tiny Tiger seemed to have a decent reputation EXCEPT for the problem
some customers experienced with capacitors on the parallel port.

chet@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (eric j chet) (02/14/90)

Hello Out There:
     Has there been a press release on the Infinity Machine by M.A.S.T ?
Does anybody have any information on this expansion device for the A500/A1000?
This is all I know:
                   68030 16-50MHz.
                   32 bit ram 1-64 Megabytes
                   68882 Math Coprocessor
                   High Speed SCSI(Autoboots)

Any more info out there?

bscott@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Ben M Scott) (02/14/90)

In article <9002132104.AA01561@hydroplane.cis.ohio-state.edu> chet@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (eric j chet) writes:
>Hello Out There:
>     Has there been a press release on the Infinity Machine by M.A.S.T ?
>Does anybody have any information on this expansion device for the A500/A1000?

I was talking to the folks at M.A.S.T. for some other reasons and asked them
about this.  Apparently, it's been delayed.  The hardware is finished, but
the cases were milled wrong and had to be sent back to be redone.  This was
nearly two months ago, however; and I haven't heard anything about it since.
I commented to the guy that I had a Minimegs that didn't FIT on the 500 (too
tall) and was mildly suprised that they even noticed the cases were the wrong
size (I said it nicely, though) and he replied that "we're a lot more careful
about that kind of thing these days."

Apparently, it's not TOO good to be true, but I wouldn't bet money on it yet.

.                              <<<<Infinite K>>>>

880274d@aucs.uucp (Ralph Doncaster) (02/16/90)

chet@CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU (eric j chet) writes:

>Hello Out There:
>     Has there been a press release on the Infinity Machine by M.A.S.T ?
>Does anybody have any information on this expansion device for the A500/A1000?
>This is all I know:
>                   68030 16-50MHz.
>                   32 bit ram 1-64 Megabytes
>                   68882 Math Coprocessor
>                   High Speed SCSI(Autoboots)

The info I have says up to 8 megs of ram, in 16 or 32 bit mode.
It also is able to take a 16mzh 68000 instead of a 68030, and supposedly
has a facility for a proprietary cash memory area.
The ram it takes are prorprietary "picomegs" modules, that supposedly
use ZIP chips and are sort of like SIMMS.  (I guess a small board with
the ZIP on it and a jumper for 16/32 bit.)
The latest info I have from MAST is that it won't be ready till mid-April.
I have requested more info re. unix compatibility, and a few other questions
but haven't recieved a reply yet.

|Ralph Doncaster        Don't Steal - The Government hates competition.     |
|880274d@AcadiaU.CA     329 CHI, Acadia University, Wolfville, NS B0P 1X0   |
|UUCP: {uunet|watmath|utai}!cs.dal.ca!aucs!880274d  BITNET: 880274d@Acadia  |

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/18/90)

     After being told for four months that "it'll only be three more
weeks" I finally got the Trump 500.
     Latest story, two more months.....yeah, sure, and I've got
this great beachfront property in Mexico.

jblake@hprnd.HP.COM (John Blake) (03/10/90)

I spoke with a lady at M.A.S.T. just minutes ago, and she said the Infinity
release has been postponed INDEFINITELY because it was sent back into R & D
for some design changes.  She also again mentioned the problems with over-
seas parts suppliers.

Oh well...

John Blake                         Email:  jblake@hpreem.hp.com

"The opinions expressed on this program are those of the participants and
guests, and do not necessarily reflect those of this station, its management,
or sponsors."

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/12/90)

     Infinity Machine pushed back indefinitely.  Gott in himmel!, what a
surprize.  Not bad for a company that told me back in October it would be
3 more weeks.  It was probably the same lady, too....

a228amid@zero.cdf (Amid Rudy) (03/13/90)

In article <46200041@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>     Infinity Machine pushed back indefinitely.  Gott in himmel!, what a
>surprize.  Not bad for a company that told me back in October it would be
>3 more weeks.  It was probably the same lady, too....

 Pardon me for not being up-to-date, but what is an "Infinity Machine" ?
The Amiga?  \;-)

!Rudy