[comp.sys.amiga] Commodore & Advertizing

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (03/12/90)

   I guess I am going to have to post this message again.  I
posted it once, but the message did not get across.  After you
have read this message, please feel free to frame away to your
heart's content.

   Commodore does not spend enough on advertizing.  This has
been clearly established.  The general oppinion is that Commodore
cannot afford to advertize.  This is totally wrong.  If Commodore
cannot afford to advertize, Commodore cannot afford to be in
business.  Period.

   To say that Commodore cannot afford to advertize is like saying
that Commodore cannot afford to sell a product because they cannot
afford to make it.  Advertizing is as much a part of any product as
the product itself.  Advertizing is an expense, but if it is done
correctly it can result in an increase in revenues many times more
than the cost of the advertizing itself.

   Take a case study of the Gilette company.  Overall, this company is
like Commodore, getting most of it's revenues overseas.  Gilette takes
in less than 1/5 of the total word-wide revenues that Commodore takes
in, yet they advertize about 100 times more than Commodore advertizes.
Gilette spends over 1/3 of their TOTAL REVENUES (not total profits!)
on advertizing.  Commodore spends less than 2% of their total revenues
on advertizing.  Something is obviously wrong here, and I don't
think it is with the Gilette company.

   Commodore is fully capable of spending $100 Million (or more) a
year on advertizing, even in the U.S. alone.  If they did, they would
go into debt for a very short time, but the debt would be made-up for
very quickly by drastically increased revenues.  Advertizing
is cyclical, and any money spent on advertizing comes right back
again -- if the advertizing is done well.

   Commodore has never had a serious long-term advertizing campaign
for the Amiga.  They have wasted several years in not advertizing.
In order to make up for this, Commodore must spend a lot of money
on advertizing, to make up for all those wasted years when they did
not advertize.  This will require a lot of money, but it shouldn't
be viewed as money down the drain.  The money will come back again
in the form of increased revenues if the advertizing was done well.

   Like I said, go ahead and turn your flamers to FULL!!  Try your
best to disprove all this, I am waiting.  The theory is sound, and
anyone who thinks not shows that they know absolutely nothing about
business.

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (03/13/90)

In article <13629@baldrick.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   Commodore does not spend enough on advertizing.  This has
>been clearly established.  The general oppinion is that Commodore
>cannot afford to advertize.  This is totally wrong.  If Commodore
>cannot afford to advertize, Commodore cannot afford to be in
>business.  Period.

	Ok, how much does Commodore advertize compared to its peers
	of similar size?  eg Everex?

>   Take a case study of the Gilette company.  Overall, this company is
>like Commodore, getting most of it's revenues overseas.  Gilette takes
>in less than 1/5 of the total word-wide revenues that Commodore takes
>in, yet they advertize about 100 times more than Commodore advertizes.
>Gilette spends over 1/3 of their TOTAL REVENUES (not total profits!)
>on advertizing.  Commodore spends less than 2% of their total revenues
>on advertizing.  Something is obviously wrong here, and I don't
>think it is with the Gilette company.

	How much does Gilette spend on R&D?  How large is the Gilette
	organization?  Is the way that people select razor blades similar
	to the way people but a computer?  Your analysis does not address
	these rather important points.  Give us meaningful data, ie compare
	the way eg Apple or IBM advertise vs Commodore.

>   Commodore is fully capable of spending $100 Million (or more) a
>year on advertizing, even in the U.S. alone.  If they did, they would
>go into debt for a very short time, but the debt would be made-up for
>very quickly by drastically increased revenues.  Advertizing

	Is it the case that advertising along will make students take out
	more loans to buy Amiga?  Or that it will convince people that
	don't need a computer at all to purchase one?  Or we will start to
	convert IBM or Apple users from their machines?  $100 million is
	serious money, my friend.  And it is a lot of Amiga.  I'm glad
	you're not running their marketing organization ;-)

	Regarding your ".. know nothing about business .." statement, you
	are overdosing on ECO101.  There are people listening to your theories
	in this group who are in the business of building commercial amiga
	hardware and software.  Suffice it to say that nothing is as simple
	as you suppose it might be.  Were there simple formulas to success,
	every technology company would be IBM sized and that isn't the case
	is it?

	About the only thing I can really fault Commodore on is that
	the machine doesn't seem to have an image any clearer than "We
	sell to people who don't like Mac, IBM PC, etc".  This used to
	bother me somewhat, but it is hard to argue with success.  Or so
	I am told ;-)

					Rick Spanbauer
					State U of NY/Stony Brook

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   I guess I am going to have to post this message again.  I
>posted it once, but the message did not get across.  After you
>have read this message, please feel free to frame away to your
>heart's content.
aaarrrrrgh! It's fLame! not frame.

Look Marc, posting one message about the CBM advertising is fine.
But you've posted 4 in the last 2 days. Don't you think that's enough?
I do. No, I am not the NET police, but just consider that you are
weakening your own position by starting to sound like a constant whiner.

I hope you don't keep this up and post basically the same message over and
over, every day.

Nothing you say will change what CBM does with their advertising dollar.
And the more you whine, the less likely they will listen. Heck I agree that
they should advertise more often, but even I am getting tired of reading it
over and over again from you. Time to break out the old kill file, I guess.

to the rest of you, sorry. I will take it to email from now on.

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (03/13/90)

In article <13629@baldrick.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:

>   I guess I am going to have to post this message again.  I
>posted it once, but the message did not get across.  After you
>have read this message, please feel free to frame away to your
>heart's content.

Oh, please, this is so arrogant.  Do you really think you are the
only person with a brain reading this news group?

>   Commodore does not spend enough on advertizing.  This has
>been clearly established.  The general oppinion is that Commodore
>cannot afford to advertize.  This is totally wrong.  If Commodore
>cannot afford to advertize, Commodore cannot afford to be in
>business.  Period.

I have no idea why Commodore doesn't advertise more, and I don't
think you do either.  I agree that all businesses need to advertise.
However I think you are arguing from a position of little or no
knowledge.  I think that if you were sitting in the chair where
that executive is sitting, and had all the knowledge and constraints
that he has, you might not make the same decision, but you would
certainly be a lot less critical.

>   Take a case study of the Gilette company.  Overall, this company is
>like Commodore, getting most of it's revenues overseas.  Gilette takes
>in less than 1/5 of the total word-wide revenues that Commodore takes
                             [...]
Gillette makes razor blades and related products.  These are products
that change little over a period of time, and differ little from
manufacturer to manufacturer.  The computer market, or any high-tech
market for that matter, is such a totally different world that trying
to draw any conclusions from this kind of comparison is ludicrous.
                             [...]
>   Like I said, go ahead and turn your flamers to FULL!!  Try your
>best to disprove all this, I am waiting.  The theory is sound, and
>anyone who thinks not shows that they know absolutely nothing about
>business.

Marc, why don't you tone it down a bit?  If you are such a business
whiz, why aren't you running a multinational corporation by now?

--
--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM