[comp.sys.amiga] Stability of Commodore/Amiga

jwb@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Jeff W. Brogden) (02/24/90)

I would like for everybody to take a step back, think carefully about the
problem and reply with an intelligent, sound response.  I *DON'T* want to
see a bunch of fanatical replies that simple play the Amiga up better than
it really is.

About two years ago, I bought my Amiga after much soul (and pocket)
searching.  My biggest concern was with the stability of Commodore as a
business.  I didn't want to buy an A2000 with my hard earned cash, only to
have it orphened(sp?) out from under my by Commodore.  As is evident, I
took the plung, and have never regreted it since.

Today, I was talking to a faculty member over in the Journalism Department.
The have a lab full of Mac's for their students to use.  Somehow it came up
that I owned an Amiga.  His response was as follow:

	"You know, the Amiga offers a lot for what it costs.  I could
	 have filled the lab with Amiga's at half the cost of the Mac's
	 and would have had money left over for other things.  I came
	 real close to doing it, but the thing that held me back was
	 Commodore.  I just didn't know if I would wake up tomorrow, and
	 still find Commodore in business.  We can't afford to have
	 a bunch of machines with no support."

This was not the first time I have heard people say things like this.  This
is a real shame, since they bought about 25 Mac's with assorted
ImageWriters and LaserWriters.

So, the question is, how stable is Commodore?  This question has inevitably
been discussed before, so please e-mail me your responses.  Are we going to
wake up only to find our beloved Ami cast into the black hole of
unsupported machines?  Also, how do you convice someone that the Amiga is a
"safe" investment?  IBM and Apple have a reputation that is VERY hard to
beat.  People feel safe with them, and that's how they sell computers at
the prices they do, IMHO.

Again, please e-mail me your discussions to the address below.  Send me any
and all advise on how to convince people the Amiga is "safe".  Most people
recognize that the machine has a lot to offer nowdays, but they are not
willing to "take-the-plung".

Thanks,

Jeff Brogden					| Kansas State University
Internet: jwb@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu          	| Manhattan, KS.  66506
BITNET: jwb@ksuvm                           	| Office phone: (913)532-6350
UUCP: {rutgers,texbell,atanasoff}!ksuvax1!jwb	| Home phone: (913)776-5798

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (02/26/90)

I was going to send this as a reply to Jeff Brogden request for ways of
making people trust Commodore, but thought it might be a good counterpoint
to those bits like `oh C= such and such stinks'.
   Sadly, there are too many flames and not enough help.  So here I am
with my two CONSTRUCTIVE cents.

->   If your flame-thrower is lit, or you want to discuss my points,
     please e-mail me.  I don't want to start yet another flame war
     wasting bandwidth.
->   All of this stuff is pretty much common sense.  It just seems that
     no time has there been a posting that sums up the various points

IMHO, the following things could be done to improve the Amiga's image and
make people trust both the machine and (more importantly) Commodore:

DEALERS:
   - Dealers should advertise the Amiga in some form or another.  After
     all, how many pictures of Macs and IBMs do you see when you flip
     through the Computers section of the Yellow Pages?  How about the news
     paper?  Very often it is _little_ things like these that people will
     recognize and remember.

   - Have a full time Amiga knowledgable person in the store; make sure that
     Amiga questions are directed to that person to reduce fumbles and bad
     publicity.  Bad publicity ("the Amiga doesn't have any software",
     "doesn't it crash all the time?", etc)  hurt sales, your business, and
     Commodore.  Above all, the customer won't buy an Amiga.

   - Prominently display Amiga magazines, software, hardware, and advertising
     in the store.  A display of confidence is a MUST.  Hide it, and people
     will think it has no software or that it can't be expanded, or that it
     doesn't have any support.

   - Do not hide the Amiga in a backseat position in the store.  Present it,
     let it advertise itself (run animation demos) to catch peoples' eyes
     and draw them in -- then show them that it can do word processing and
     databases and spreadsheets and such things, too.  Make sure a customer
     knows that there is more software available than they are ever likely
     to fit on any harddisk.  Tell them that there is lots and lots of
     inexpensive titles available (such as from Fred Fish).  Don't swamp
     a customer with concepts such as multitasking if they don't understand
     its usefulness.  Give them examples from messy-dos:  Terminate-Stay-
     Resident (TSR) programs which conflict or can't be unloaded, which
     can't be called up while you're downloading something, etc.

Example:
NewAge Computers in College Park, MD does a _very_ good job at all of these.
Anyone who walks into the store, sees Amigas everywhere, the walls are full
of Amiga titles, posters on the walls, GVP hardware under glass, etc, and
the people working there own Amigas themselves and know the machine in and
out.
The image is: hey, the Amiga is noteworthy, and these guys put everything
they've got behind it!  These guys aren't scared that Commodore will go
under!  They trust Commodore.

C= COMMODORE:
   - Commodore should offer a longer warrantee period.  Some dealers
     extend the warrantee to one year by themselves to improve the Amiga's
     image.  At least it should be possible to purchase one or two year
     warrantees at reasonable prices.  The idea is if Commodore only
     offers you a 90 day warrantee, are they trying to push some shaky
     junk on you?  Do they believe in their own product?  This is, above
     all, an image issue.  My A1000 has worked from day one and show no
     signs of wear (except for stains and scratches :^) ).  I figure that
     the the cost overhead of a longer warrantee period would be worth the
     improvement in image.

   - Commodore did a nice job last fall, giving the Amiga better visibility.
     Hey, advertisement addresses a particular audience.  These weren't meant
     for you and me.  I've heard people here and there ask, "Oh, you have an
     Amiga?  I heard it's a really nice machine."  More and more people _do_
     recognize the machine by name.

   - Commodore should continue advertising.  Maybe not as big as fall '89
     but it is worse, IMHO to advertise once and never again, than to
     advertise a little on a semi-continual basis.  Avoid the scenario where
     a year or two down the line someone asks "What ever happened to the
     Amiga?  Is Commodore still around?"

MISCELLANEOUS:
   - Users like you and me can talk about our machine, demo it when the
     opportunity arises, and else get people to go to a store that we
     think represents the machine well.

   - Bad advertising is far, far worse than no advertising.  Preventing
     people from meeting the Amiga in a setting of indifference or even
     incompetence should be avoided at all costs.

   - Although most of us bought our Amiga for what it can do, most people
     will first and foremost examine the IMAGE of the machine and how
     others react to it (baaaa).  A machine that basks in the glow of
     a dealer's enthusiastic (and competent) support is sure to make
     people feel it is safe.

   - Dealers should perhaps offer small services at no cost.  Things like
     that could include installation of software, access to the Fish
     library, installing a memory board, controller card, or perhaps a
     floppy or hard disk.  At the _very_ least, service should be quick
     and suffer no excuses that drag on for weeks and months.  Such things
     really undermine the support image.

Well that's it for my two (maybe three) cents.  If you disagree or have
things to add, please do it through e-mail.  DO NOT start an opinionated
war on the net, please.  We need a better s/n ratio.

Thank you,
Thank you!

Udo Schuermann

dixon@cs.nps.navy.mil (Roger Dixon) (02/26/90)

In article <1990Feb25.190708.5203@wam.umd.edu> walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:

>   - Commodore should continue advertising.  Maybe not as big as fall '89
>     but it is worse, IMHO to advertise once and never again, than to
>     advertise a little on a semi-continual basis.  Avoid the scenario where
>     a year or two down the line someone asks "What ever happened to the
>     Amiga?  Is Commodore still around?"

Speaking of which, where did all those ads go anyway?  After the commericals
last fall, (which I only saw 5 times instead of the projected 20, and that
only because I intentionally went searching for them on an independent station)
and the magazine articles which only were shown in a couple of issues of
each mag (Time, NewsWeek, etc)., I have not seen or heard another Amiga
ad.  Is there any advertising going on now? What happened to that business
campaign? Also, the government market campaign that last July C= said would
start Jan '90, and turn a lot of heads in the government world?

     //
    //     Roger Dixon                        Standard Disclaimer
\\ //
 \X/       ARPAnet (Defense Data Network):    dixon@cs.nps.navy.mil

watters@penguin.cis.ohio-state.edu (david r watters) (02/26/90)

Let's talk a bit about dealers shall we.  Most of the Amiga Dealers are old
CBM 64 dealers, not a good way to start off.  My local dealer, which is the
only around, sells Epsons and Panasonic clones.  When ever he has a big
customer comein, like a big college, he personally shows them around the
store. While I worked there for 4 monts,  I heard him say all to often...
"Over here on this side of the store, are my IBM compatibles, my trucks...
these are my work computers.  Oh, that over there is the Amiga... it's my
sports car, it is a fun computer for playing games and making home videos...
these clones are what you want to do all your work on."
He actualy says this about once a week.  Then, he has the nerve to charge
$60 dollars to even look at a 500 in service, let alone fix it.
I had a 2000 that had a power supply go bad, and the new power supply was
going to cost me $200.  When I got the bill it was over $300!!!!!
I had to pay $90 in labor charges, 9 hours@$10/hr. plus a $50 "look at it" fee,
that has since increased to over $60. And I was an employee

I may be wrong, but this seems a bit pricy to me.  I could have put the damn
power supply in myself, I have taken it out/put it in maybe 5 times installing
different drives into the bay, and the newAgnus.  Nothing makes me want to bail
out more than a 90 day warrenty and a dealer that is always looking to
corn-hole you up the whazooo!

jbeckley@ics.uci.edu (Jeff D. Beckley) (02/26/90)

I can tell you why there arn't a lot of good Amiga dealers out there.  I
work for a very upscale dealer that carry IBM/Apple/HP/Sun/etc... and
Amiga.  We are owned by Inacomp (a very large west coast chain) and
Mitsubishi.  Guess what?  All the Amiga vendors and distributors are
set up to deal with C-64 Mom & Pop stores that could vanish from the
face of the earth tomorow.  Most just don't have the resources/desire or
profesionalism to deal with anything else.  Many vendors insist on COD
only terms (for Mitsubishi?, come on...), most of the distributors I have
dealt with have made all kinds of negative commets about their vendors and
competion as well as racial/ethnic slurs while dealing with me.  None,
reliable provide Evals of products.  Call the vendor they try to steal
your account from the distributor and the whole thing starts all over
again.

-Jason-
--
Gumby
                    ____

bn@attcc.UUCP (02/27/90)

ok,
my 2 cents worth...
We keep hearing about how the Amiga is being surpassed by the low cost PCs on
the market, etc, etc... To be perfectly honest, I think that now is finally the
right time for the Amiga. Back in '85 it was too far ahead, and too expensive
for the average Joe User. I agree with the arguments that a 256 color mode is
definately nicer than the fringes that we get in the HAM mode, and that the
new '386 machines outperform the Amiga in computing power, however, let's look
at things from a realistic poit of view. The REAL driving force behind the
MS/DOS market are still the cheap XT clones, and the Amiga is way ahead of those
machines in every aspect. I see a proof of this everyday, as I work as a sales
associate in an electronics dept. in a national chain store. We sell anything
from a twin floppy CGA XT clone to a VGA '386 machine. The XTs still outsell the
AT machines 3 to 1 (at least).  It makes me angry to see all those people
throwing money away for those XT clones. The only reason they buy them is
because they don't know any better, and their friend recommends that they
"get something that is IBM compatible."

As far as Commodore is concerned... I think that they are heading in the right
dirrection. Two years ago was a good time for pessimism, however since then,
we've seen the whole staff at Westchester replaced, and we've seen some
attempts at really trying to actually sell the machine. I am confident that
Commodore will finally establish them selves as a viable business computer
company with the introduction of the A3000/UNIX. I firmly believe that UNIX
will be the OS that will replace MS/DOS and Commodore seems to think that
also. Of course, this all depends on the way the machine is marketed. If they
just release it, and then let it be, I'd hate to see what will happen to the
company. Perhaps with Harry Copperman, comming from  Apple, we will see some
aggresive advertizing. I think that Apple's MAC commercials are very effective
in the way they present the machine. Commodore should approach the A3000
marketing in the same way. Show a few boring executives discussing some
computer related task, etc, etc.... This is not to say that they should
present the computer as another boring run-of-the-mill 'puter but I tend
to think that that sort of advertizing seems to catch the eye of the corporate
types. The Amiga has already captured the Video production market, so why
not go after something different.

 I'm not going to repeat the same old stuff
about how the dealer network needs to improve, since we all aready know that.
(I live in Oklahoma City, and we have only two "dealers" - one being
Software ETC, and the other I don't even want to mention)

To sum it all up, I see a bright future for the Amiga. I see the MS/DOS
slowly start fading away as UNIX machines become more common. Remember
CP/M???? my December '82 issue of Popular Computing states that "CP/M
is the most popular OS, and is used on over 80% of all personal Computers."
HA! that was only 8 years ago. where is CP/M now. I see the same future for
MS/DOS. I believe that with just a little bit of marketing, Commodore could
make the Amiga one of the most popular computers on the market just like
it did with the ol' C= 64. So, how about it Commodore?

[Soapbox mode off]

Bo Najdrovsky
UUCP:  att!mwood!attcc!bn
INET:  mwood!attcc!bn@ATT.ATT.COM

pritchaj@thor.acc.stolaf.edu (John Pritchard) (02/27/90)

It sounds interesting (and typical) about the problems C= has with their
machines playing "game machine" in multi-vendor stores.  Amiga owners in
this area are lucky to have a very good dealer in town.  They carry only
C= computers and software.

I also found it interesting when I looked into what it would take to get
a C= franchise and was told that the first requirement was that you must
be an existing owner of a retail store.  Will this not make it difficult to
get stores out there that support the Amiga as their primary machine?

ghewes@bbn.com (Gerald Hewes) (03/02/90)

 Speaking of ads, there was a small < 1/4 page C= add in the
BOSTON Globe buissness section this week. I beleive it was
tuesday 27th. So there some follow up on last year add campaign.

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/03/90)

According to survey (I think it was Infoworld), DOS may fade away in the future,
but OS/2 is probably going to be the next dominate operating system in business.
Unix will probably be second.  I suppose Unix will always be #1 in the
scientific community.

I personally like Unix better, but right now OS/2 has a standard interface,
while AT&T and OSF is still arguing over graphics interface standard.  The
present OS/2 (1.1) is junk, though 2.0 promises to be better.  In any case, OS/2
may surpass Unix, but it's hard to tell at the moment, but corporation seems to
have a preference for OS/2 over Unix.

In article <52884@bbn.COM> ghewes@spca.bbn.com (Gerald Hewes) writes:

> Speaking of ads, there was a small < 1/4 page C= add in the
>BOSTON Globe buissness section this week. I beleive it was
>tuesday 27th. So there some follow up on last year add campaign.

	I can confirm that being true in NYC as well. For two weeks
now Commodore has advertised in the Tuesday New York Times, i.e. the
Science Times. It was an advertisement about the business promotional
offer. I would imagine that the video and music offers are being
promoted in their respective trade papers. Just because there was no
big press conference doesn't mean that CBM isn't advertising!
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

doug@xdos.UUCP (Doug Merritt) (03/04/90)

In article <2840@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
>According to survey (I think it was Infoworld), DOS may fade away in the
>future, but OS/2 is probably going to be the next dominate operating system
>in business. Unix will probably be second.  I suppose Unix will always be #1
>in the scientific community.

Depends purely on which surveys you want to believe. I think it's far
more telling to note that there are 1) far more packages available for
(various) Unix than for OS/2 at the moment, and 2) major s/w vendors
are not putting very much $$ into developing for OS/2 at the moment,
much to the chagrin of IBM & Microsoft. But that's simply according to
Yet Another Survey that I saw recently, believe what you like.

Nonetheless the Conventional Conservative Wisdom is (and has always been)
that IBM Will Always Win Bigtime. Problem is that such aphorisms are
a poor substitute for true thinking. Anyway, you'll always find lots
of pundits who will say "Unix will always be #2 behind OS/2". That
doesn't make them right; they're just quoting the standard line.
You know the old saying, "no one ever got fired for buying IBM". Same
sort of thing.

Personally I'm pretty tired of hearing the same old BS year after year.
For ten years now I've been hearing the Sacred Marketing Wisdom that
Unix will never make it in the commercial marketplace. Well, now it
has, so they've modified their phrasing, saying it'll never get beyond
number two. They also say it'll never make it in the mainframe world.

"I told Wilbur, and I told Orville, and now I'm telling *you*...that
danged contraption will never work!"

Anyone out there wanna put a little money on OS/2? I've got a sporting
proposition for you...[ offer void where prohibited by law ].

>I personally like Unix better, but right now OS/2 has a standard interface,
>while AT&T and OSF is still arguing over graphics interface standard.

This is really just one of many important issues, not the thing that'll
make or break either Unix or OS/2. Still, I disagree. Motif has already
won. It's just that it'll take a while for the dust to settle.

You should also consider the issues of open systems. Aside from the
hype on the subject, it's getting to be an important issue for more
and more companies when they need to decide where to commit their money.
	Doug
--
Doug Merritt		{pyramid,apple}!xdos!doug
Member, Crusaders for a Better Tomorrow		Professional Wildeyed Visionary

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/04/90)

Point in case is that as micro-computers and desktops become more powerful,
a better operating system would be needed... OS/2 is much too system
specific to really become popular...  Unix easily portable and with some mods
can be installed on just about any system with the capabilities to do so...
Another thing is, OS/2 is not a fairly programmer friendly environment...
MS-DOS will inevitably fall away because of it's incapability to multi-task.
As long as CBM keeps coming out with improvements on there OS, it would be
a great OS for a computer with it's power.   As far as the Machintosh is
concerned... well...  we won't get into that.

                    -Dino Khoe
                     dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu

root@sbcs.sunysb.edu (Systems Staff) (03/05/90)

In article <3881@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>As long as CBM keeps coming out with improvements on there OS, it would be
>a great OS for a computer with it's power.   As far as the Machintosh is
>concerned... well...  we won't get into that.

	Agreed that AmigaDOS is about the right level for the lower end
	of what Commodore sells.  The question is whether it can, in the
	architectural sense, add the few missing items that handicap the
	system and still be AmigaDOS:

		memory protection
		resource tracking
		virtual memory

	As we move forward in time, and the the 68030 becomes what the
	68000 is today in cost then trading away the aforementioned
	capabilities for memory consumption/speed doesn't make as much sense
	as it did in 1984/1985.  And at some point the obvious question needs
	an answer: is it easier or a better investment of time to provide an
	AmigaDOS compatible environment under eg Mach than it is to re-invent
	the parts of Mach we want under AmigaDOS?

>                    -Dino Khoe

					Rick Spanbauer
					State U of NY/Stony Brook

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/05/90)

In article <3881@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>a better operating system would be needed... OS/2 is much too system
>specific to really become popular...  Unix easily portable and with some mods
>can be installed on just about any system with the capabilities to do so...

True, but the rumors are that OS/2 will be ported to platforms other than Intel
80x86...I do not know the time frame for such an endeavor...

>Another thing is, OS/2 is not a fairly programmer friendly environment...

OS/2 is a very programmer-friendly environment.  The only thing that isn't
friendly is the CLI, and that's because it mimcs the DOS CLI.  The OS/2 kernel
and PM are both very powerful and ratheer easy to use.

>MS-DOS will inevitably fall away because of it's incapability to multi-task.
>As long as CBM keeps coming out with improvements on there OS, it would be
>a great OS for a computer with it's power.   As far as the Machintosh is

AmigaDOS is a far superior operating system to OS/2, IMHO.  Intuition is not
as polished as Presentation Manager, but it could get to that point with a bit
of hard work (which I hope we will see in 1.4).  The programmer's interface to
the system is not as clean as it is in OS/2, but I believe the programmer
ultimately has more power under AmigaDOS.  (By the same token, it is more
difficult to achieve similar results under AmigaDOS, at least for simple tasks.)

So, the real question is...why do I always seem to end up defending OS/2 here,
and the Amiga to IBM fanatics??

 -Chris
-----
Chris Lang    University of Michigan, College of Engineering
home: 4622 Bursley             work: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences
      Ann Arbor, MI  48109           900 Victors Way, Suite 226
      (313) 763-1832                 Ann Arbor, MI  48108
chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu          (313) 995-0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

ypcazabon@rose.waterloo.edu (Yvan Cazabon) (03/05/90)

Why is everbody talking OS/2?  As much as I prefer my Amiga to any old (or new)
IBM, I would like to see AIX, the new IBM unix (as opposed to XENIX) take over.
To tie this in to true c.s.a talk, if we could get an A2500/30 with Unix with
and AT bridgeboard running AIX, could we finally see true parallel processing
on the Amiga?                                             --------

Regards,
Yvan Cazabon

I've always been dependent on the kindness of NET-strangers.

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/05/90)

In article <48ffd21f.db93@edsel.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:

>OS/2 is a very programmer-friendly environment.  The only thing that isn't
>friendly is the CLI, and that's because it mimcs the DOS CLI.  The OS/2 kernel
>and PM are both very powerful and ratheer easy to use.
>
>AmigaDOS is a far superior operating system to OS/2, IMHO.  Intuition is not
>as polished as Presentation Manager, but it could get to that point with a bit
>of hard work (which I hope we will see in 1.4).  The programmer's interface to
>the system is not as clean as it is in OS/2, but I believe the programmer
>ultimately has more power under AmigaDOS.  (By the same token, it is more
>difficult to achieve similar results under AmigaDOS, at least for simple tasks.)

I don't know if I could say OS/2 is more programmer friendly, as far as
memory management goes, it is more organized since OS/2 uses contiguous
spaces of memory compared to the chunks that Amiga's Exec does...  but that
is not necessarily an advantage either...

-Dino Khoe

In article <21565@watdragon.waterloo.edu> ypcazabon@rose.waterloo.edu (Yvan Cazabon) writes:
>Why is everbody talking OS/2?  As much as I prefer my Amiga to any old (or new)
>IBM, I would like to see AIX, the new IBM unix (as opposed to XENIX) take over.

I wouldn't mind seeing AIX, or any Unix variant, take over.  But the people in
Redmond have decreed that OS/2 is the future for business computing....whether
we agree or whether we like it, it means OS/2 is what we will be forced to
make comparisons with...

>To tie this in to true c.s.a talk, if we could get an A2500/30 with Unix with
>and AT bridgeboard running AIX, could we finally see true parallel processing
>on the Amiga?                                             --------

Would the AT Bridgeboard still work if Unix replaced AmigaDOS on the Amiga
side?  Amix DOES take over the machine, right?  I don't have a Bridgeboard (yet)
and I obviously don't have Amix...but I would be interested to hear about
this.  I would also be interested in  hearing about the odds of getting OS/2
to run on a Bridgeboard...I know it would be slow, but if I could get some
OS/2 stuff done at home, it'd mean more time for playing with the Amiga! :)

 -Chris
-----

consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett L. Kessler) (03/06/90)

In article <3883@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>I don't know if I could say OS/2 is more programmer friendly, as far as
>memory management goes, it is more organized since OS/2 uses contiguous
>spaces of memory compared to the chunks that Amiga's Exec does...  but that
>is not necessarily an advantage either...

IMHO, contiguous memory is not the way to go.  If I have a 300k
program on a contiguos-memory-based machine (ie: Mac) that has a 290k
area free and a 50k area free, the program still cannot be loaded,
becuase the areas are not contiguous.

Linked lists (and related structures) are a much more efficient way of
allocating memory.  True, it incurs a bit of overhead and requires
some work by he programmer (of the OS, that is), but the 300k program
example from before would load just fine into an Amiga - it doesn't
require contiguous blocks to know what it's doing.

+------///-+------------------| BRETT KESSLER |------------------+-\\\------+
|     ///  |         consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu          |  \\\     |
| \\\///   |              consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                |   \\\/// |
|  \XX/    |              (PeopleLink)  B.KESSLER                |    \XX/  |
+----------+-----------------------------------------------------+----------+

In article <3093@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Brett L. Kessler) writes:
>In article <3883@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>IMHO, contiguous memory is not the way to go.  If I have a 300k
>program on a contiguos-memory-based machine (ie: Mac) that has a 290k
>area free and a 50k area free, the program still cannot be loaded,
>becuase the areas are not contiguous.
>
>Linked lists (and related structures) are a much more efficient way of
>allocating memory.  True, it incurs a bit of overhead and requires
>some work by he programmer (of the OS, that is), but the 300k program
>example from before would load just fine into an Amiga - it doesn't
>require contiguous blocks to know what it's doing.
>
>+------///-+------------------| BRETT KESSLER |------------------+-\\\------+
>|     ///  |         consp11@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu          |  \\\     |
>| \\\///   |              consp11@bingvaxa.BITNET                |   \\\/// |
>|  \XX/    |              (PeopleLink)  B.KESSLER                |    \XX/  |
>+----------+-----------------------------------------------------+----------+

	As you say, the program has to be designed in such a way as to
load in pieces. If it attempts to load as one large 300K alloc, it
will fail. What I was wondering was is there a way to transparently
have the OS deal with that. Perhaps it would require an MMU, but is it
possible?

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/06/90)

In article <3881@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:

>Point in case is that as micro-computers and desktops become more powerful,
>a better operating system would be needed... OS/2 is much too system
>specific to really become popular...  Unix easily portable and with some mods
>can be installed on just about any system with the capabilities to do so...
>Another thing is, OS/2 is not a fairly programmer friendly environment...
>MS-DOS will inevitably fall away because of it's incapability to multi-task.
>As long as CBM keeps coming out with improvements on there OS, it would be
>a great OS for a computer with it's power.   As far as the Machintosh is
>concerned... well...  we won't get into that.

You'll be surprise that OS/2 is predicted to be more popular in corporation than
Unix.  OS/2 is a single standard.  Unix is presently still struggling to
standardize on its graphics interface.  Microsoft is also planning to make OS/2
portable, so it could be implemented on the RISC machines.  I hate the present
version of OS/2, but latter version may be better.

Both Unix and OS/2 requires powerful hardware, people will still be using DOS
for many years to come.  I imagine that it will fall away, but not any time
soon.  Many sort of multi-tasking add-on helps keep DOS alive, but they can only
go so far.

In any case, it's impossible to predict which operating system will become
dominate in the future.  OS/2 or Unix, who knows.  There are too many variables.
It depends on whether Microsoft can deliver its OS/2 on time, and whether AT&T
and OSF will agree on a graphics standard.  I personally prefer Unix over OS/2.

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/06/90)

In the past, AT&T sets the standard for Unix, at least it becomes the benchmark
that other Unix is compared to.  Motif seems to have the advantage, but I
wouldn't say that it has already won.  Until Openlook loses influence, the Unix
graphics standard will be scattered.  IBM's announcement of endorsement of the

psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) (03/06/90)

The advantage of OS/2 over the Amiga is better memory protection.  If one of
your program crash, it is less likely to crash the whole machine than the Amiga,
which has no hardware memory management as far as I know.

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/06/90)

In article <3883@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>In article <48ffd21f.db93@edsel.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
>>OS/2 is a very programmer-friendly environment.  The only thing that isn't
>>friendly is the CLI, and that's because it mimcs the DOS CLI.  The OS/2 kernel
>>and PM are both very powerful and ratheer easy to use.
>
>I don't know if I could say OS/2 is more programmer friendly, as far as
>memory management goes, it is more organized since OS/2 uses contiguous
>spaces of memory compared to the chunks that Amiga's Exec does...  but that
>is not necessarily an advantage either...

Well, memory management on any Intel 80x86 chip is bound to be less than
friendly, due to the retarded segment scheme we all love to hate.  But, the
fact remains that I can write a program in 15 minutes for OS/2 to do basic
windowing with some very powerful capabilities...the same program on the
Amiga could take (???).  On the other hand, if I want to squeeze every last
bit of performance out of my machine, I can do that with AmigaDOS.  Fat chance
with OS/2.

 -Chris
-----

In article <10016@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>How about a bit more information!  What are these "powerful capabilities"
>that you get from OS/2 in 15 minutes?  What would you need on the Amiga
>to do the same thing?
>
>Try not to Flame (too much), hard information is what I am looking for.
>Please be brief.

OK, to give a simple example, in 15 minutes I could open up a window that will
automatically iconify itself or expand to fill the entire screen (standard
PM frame controls).  I could then create a number of child windows, each of
which is a fully-functional frame window that can iconify as well.  In fact,
if I iconify the children, their icons will appear in the parent's client area,
rather like a desktop-within-a-desktop.  (Similar to Workbench, only it can
happen automatically for any parent-child window combination.)  Then I'd
define a menu that lists each window, that when chosen would send a message
to the proper child and make it paint itself a nice big Boing! ball...  (OK,
so the last would take longer than 15 minutes, unless I'd already defined it
as a bitmap on disk, in which case it would take just a couple of lines of
code.)

The parts of this admittedly silly scenario that display OS/2's advantages are
basically the fact that I can have fully-functional child windows automatically,
install and act on menus with incredible ease, and send messages among windows
with a single function call.

Having said all that, let me say that, given a choice between OS/2 and AmigaDOS,
I would pick AmigaDOS every time.  OS/2 makes things SO easy one occasionally
gets the feeling that Microsoft and IBM think developers haven't the slightest
amount of originality and that Horrible Things will happen if they are given
any lower-level access to the system.

Disclaimer: I have never seen 1.4.  I imagine that many of the things I just
mentioned will be much easier and even more powerful than they are now, and
I certainly hope that is the case.

 -Chris
-----

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/06/90)

In article <49055ed8.1a5bf@moth.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
>In article <3883@nmtsun.nmt.edu> dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) writes:
>Well, memory management on any Intel 80x86 chip is bound to be less than
>friendly, due to the retarded segment scheme we all love to hate.  But, the
>fact remains that I can write a program in 15 minutes for OS/2 to do basic
>windowing with some very powerful capabilities...the same program on the
>Amiga could take (???).  On the other hand, if I want to squeeze every last
>bit of performance out of my machine, I can do that with AmigaDOS.  Fat chance
>with OS/2.
>
> -Chris
>-----

True, Intuition in itself is very in depth and programming it can be somewhat
a not so trivial task... plus the Intuition structures get awefully big...
Another thing is the devices... wow... MsgPorts and everything, even if you
wanted to do something fairly small and simple.  But then the Amiga OS can
be programmed to the machines performance.  Yes, Intel memory management
is definitely less than friendly.  Kinda reminds you of the Commodore 128
aye?   Imagine all the volumes of references you would have if you had one
for every aspect of the OS...  The functions documentation is big enough...

-Dino Khoe
dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu

ken@cbmvax.commodore.com (Ken Farinsky - CATS) (03/06/90)

In article <49055ed8.1a5bf@moth.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:

>...the
>fact remains that I can write a program in 15 minutes for OS/2 to do basic
>windowing with some very powerful capabilities...the same program on the
>Amiga could take (???).

How about a bit more information!  What are these "powerful capabilities"
that you get from OS/2 in 15 minutes?  What would you need on the Amiga
to do the same thing?

Try not to Flame (too much), hard information is what I am looking for.
Please be brief.

Ken Farinsky -- CATS               Commodore Business Machines
PHONE 215-431-9421         UUCP  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (03/08/90)

In article <10016@cbmvax.commodore.com> ken@cbmvax (Ken Farinsky - CATS) writes:
>In article <49055ed8.1a5bf@moth.engin.umich.edu> chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) writes:
>>
>>...the
>>fact remains that I can write a program in 15 minutes for OS/2 to do basic
>>windowing with some very powerful capabilities...the same program on the
>>Amiga could take (???).
>
>How about a bit more information!  What are these "powerful capabilities"
>that you get from OS/2 in 15 minutes?  What would you need on the Amiga
>to do the same thing?

Hmm, well I have no information about OS/2 besides having seen the voluminous
manuals.  Here is what I *need* in order to build a reasonable program:

1) An integrated compiler environment -- integrated via ARexx would be nice.
2) A 'C' interpretor would be nice, lacking that I want a well written
	debugger with real-time updates of values/memory accessed [particularly
	low-memory].  One of the hardest bugs I ever had to find was one where
	I wrote *one-byte*!! past allocated memory -- which didn't cause a
	failure until much later...
3) Some kind of menu wrapping functions.  Right now the stuff is too complicated.
	Right now, barring Gadgets, Menus are *the* hardest thing to code, in my
	opinion.  Even some of the examples aren't written strictly to design
	criteria.  I want to be able to say: Add this text under this menu header,
	have the operating system stick it in, verifying length and width criteria
	of the screen, and have my code *called* when the menu is selected.  Much
	like the new stuff in 1.4
4) Access to window rendering functions and menu-rendering functions so that I can pretty things up.

I guess in the end I want to be able to do is this:
	default = OpenWindow(NULL);
	MenuHeaderAdd(default, "Print");
	MenuItemAdd(default, "Print", "HelloWorld", myfunctionptr);

	myfunctionptr()
	{
	   WriteWindow(default, "Hello World");
	}

	And have the right things happen -- even if memory was low and something wasn't
	allocated correctly -- system error check for NULL would save me, the programmer,
	a lot of headaches.

>Try not to Flame (too much), hard information is what I am looking for.
>Please be brief.
>
>--
>Ken Farinsky -- CATS               Commodore Business Machines
>PHONE 215-431-9421         UUCP  ...{uunet,rutgers}!cbmvax!ken

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Think you can, think you can't -- either way it's true."  Henry Ford

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/08/90)

In article <2854@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
>The advantage of OS/2 over the Amiga is better memory protection.  If one of
>your program crash, it is less likely to crash the whole machine than the Amiga,
>which has no hardware memory management as far as I know.

OS/2's memory protection is mainly in software - device drivers, for instance,
can crash the machine in an instant because they operate at a low level where
the system can not trap protection violations.

 -Chris
-----

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/09/90)

In article <2840@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
>...DOS... OS/2...  Unix... Unix...
>...OS/2... AT&T... OSF...  ...OS/2 (1.1)... 2.0... OS/2...
>Unix...  OS/2... Unix...

Am I in the wrong place?  Hmm... Nope, this is comp.sys.amiga, and the article
quoted above isn't even cross-posted to any other groups.

May I suggest moving this thread somewhere else?
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"As long as there is a legion of superheros, all else
--			 can surely be made right." -- Sensor Girl

karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) (03/09/90)

In article <2854@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
>The advantage of OS/2 over the Amiga is better memory protection.  If one of
>your program crash, it is less likely to crash the whole machine than the Amiga,
>which has no hardware memory management as far as I know.

...and the disadvantage is that PM performance is glacial and it requires
$3500+ worth of hardware to run, minimum, and more like $7000 for the
configurations most people have.  A usable, color, multitasking Amiga can be
had for $850.  Does that difference mean anything to you?

Yes, yes, we are all aware that the Amiga doesn't have hardware memory
protection and that there are disadvantages, specifically that rogue programs
can crash the system.

Nonetheless, the Amiga is for the most part a superbly architected machine
that continues to put its contemporaries (PCs under DOS & the Mac, and even
in many ways your beloved OS/2) to shame.

We have also developed ways for dealing with living in an unprotected
environment and, for the most part, Amigas don't crash -- mine doesn't
unless I'm developing and doing something weird.  I know quite a few Mac and
hardcore DOS people, and they seem to think it's quite normal for their
machines to lock up and require resetting or power-cycling.  Ever since 1.2
came out, I *never* have crashes that I can't attribute to a specific activity
or program.

I wonder, Mr. Siu, if you're not over here to "stimulate conversation."
In other words, make trouble.  You've been writing a lot of articles
like <2854@mtuni.ATT.COM> lately.  Do you have an Amiga?  Are you thinking
about getting one?  Are you a missionary here to convert us to OS/2?  Or are
you just committed to "Volume! Volume! Volume!"?  Enquiring minds sort of
want to know.

--

In article <5362@sugar.hackercorp.com> karl@sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
>In article <2854@mtuni.ATT.COM> psu@mtuni.ATT.COM (Paul Siu) writes:
[...]
>Nonetheless, the Amiga is for the most part a superbly architected machine
>that continues to put its contemporaries (PCs under DOS & the Mac, and even
>in many ways your beloved OS/2) to shame.

Agreed.

>We have also developed ways for dealing with living in an unprotected
>environment and, for the most part, Amigas don't crash -- mine doesn't
>unless I'm developing and doing something weird.  I know quite a few Mac and

Mine does.  Sorry, but some of us live by PD.  And some of us are not
perfect programmers, either.

>hardcore DOS people, and they seem to think it's quite normal for their
>machines to lock up and require resetting or power-cycling.  Ever since 1.2
>came out, I *never* have crashes that I can't attribute to a specific activity
>or program.
>
>I wonder, Mr. Siu, if you're not over here to "stimulate conversation."
>In other words, make trouble.  You've been writing a lot of articles
>like <2854@mtuni.ATT.COM> lately.  Do you have an Amiga?  Are you thinking
  (How do people actually remember article numbers, anyway?)
>about getting one?  Are you a missionary here to convert us to OS/2?  Or are
>you just committed to "Volume! Volume! Volume!"?  Enquiring minds sort of
>want to know.
[...]
>-- uunet!sugar!karl	"As long as there is a legion of superheros, all else

It sounds to me like Mr. Siu merely wants, as many of us, the Amiga to
be the best it could be.  Some people have things running in the
background like a BBS or maybe some other application and would like to
feel free to play around and do other things with their computer safe in
the knowledge that the other tasks won't be trashed along with the one
that they are working with.  The fact of the matter is (at least in my
mind) with memory protection it would be easier to track down the
'rotten egg' programs because it would be obvious which program is
misbehaved.  Also with a core dump (or just freezing things for a
debugger to take over) it would be easier to debug a program because you
would be able to look at it right where you left off.

Here's a question:  is there an MMU available for the 68000?  If so, why
doesn't Commodore make it part of the ECS?  It doesn't have to be
supported in 1.4, but maybe in 1.5?  That would make it so there would
be only one chip update that (supposedly) everyone would go through
instead of two that only some people would do for the MMU.

Just the ramblings of
 _   /|
 \`o.O'    Chris Dailey, Amiga Enthusiast
 =(___)=   dailey@cpsin1.cps.msu.edu
    U      - "Meow."
(Bill the Cat not original--imitation intended as a form of flattery.)