[comp.sys.amiga] More Must-haves

jbaker@gmu90x.gmu.edu (jbaker) (03/13/90)

In article <1910@clyde.concordia.ca> stefan@sherlock.CS.Concordia.CA (BUCHHOLZ stefan) writes:
>          CANONONICAL LIST OF MOST USEFUL PUBLIC DOMAIN SOFTWARE
>
>    1. Browser: allows one to view directories, copy files, etc, a la MAC
>plus all kind of goodies that a multitaking OS offers. Launch a task simply
>by clicking on the file name (even projects!!).
>
>    2. Snap: cut and paste ANY stype font from ANY window on ANY screen.
>Beautiful, transparent, easy...
>
>    3. ARP1.3: Replaces most AmigaDos commands with smaller more powerful
>ones. Very easily installable.

Also provides a more efficient shell.

>    4. VirusX: Kills viruses dead! get it if you do more than play games.
>
>    5. Switcher: Jump from 1 screen to another easily.  Has a bunch of
>nice options...
>
>    6. Scripit: Does what Arexx does, without Arexx headaches!!! A must!

Here are my favorite must-haves:

Dmouse OR Qmouse (mouse accel/screen flipper/screen blanker)

HandyIcons (makes a drop-down menu on the WB with your favorite programs)
           A MUST MUST HAVE!

NewZap (object code file editor - edit any file Byte-by-byte)

sf (Show File) - searches for all files matching pattern on a device
                 even looks inside ARC/ZOO files

NewZap and sf are SHAREWARE so if you use them, send in your fee....

John Baker
jbaker@gmuvax.gmu.edu

martens@navajo.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (03/14/90)

In article <2604@gmu90x.gmu.edu> jbaker@gmu90x.UUCP (John Baker) writes:

>HandyIcons (makes a drop-down menu on the WB with your favorite programs)
>           A MUST MUST HAVE!

Actually not a must have for those of us who haven't used workbench,
or even seen an icon on our Amigas, for a long while.  My A1000's well
over three years old, and one of the first things I figured out how to
do was boot directly to the CLI.
-=-
-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

"We have to shoot and kill and destroy.  We represent everything
that's good in the world." -- Max Smart

juan@cobra.gatech.edu (Juan Orlandini) (03/14/90)

In article <2604@gmu90x.gmu.edu> jbaker@gmu90x.UUCP (John Baker) writes:
>In article <1910@clyde.concordia.ca> stefan@sherlock.CS.Concordia.CA (BUCHHOLZ stefan) writes:
>>          CANONONICAL LIST OF MOST USEFUL PUBLIC DOMAIN SOFTWARE
>>
>>    1. Browser: allows one to view directories, copy files, etc, a la MAC
>>    2. Snap: cut and paste ANY stype font from ANY window on ANY screen.
>>    3. ARP1.3: Replaces most AmigaDos commands with smaller more powerful
>>    4. VirusX: Kills viruses dead! get it if you do more than play games.
>>    5. Switcher: Jump from 1 screen to another easily.  Has a bunch of
>>    6. Scripit: Does what Arexx does, without Arexx headaches!!! A must!
>Dmouse OR Qmouse (mouse accel/screen flipper/screen blanker)
>HandyIcons (makes a drop-down menu on the WB with your favorite programs)
>NewZap (object code file editor - edit any file Byte-by-byte)
>sf (Show File) - searches for all files matching pattern on a device

and while everyone's at it, here's some more:

VLT: Possibly the best terminal emulator out for the amiga. It's free has
     an arexx interface, it's own scripting language, many transfer protocols
     and gads of goodies (huh? :-)

XOPER: makes programmers life easier. Lets you see exactly what's going on
       inside your amiga.

STEVIE: for the vi addicts. A fairly good implementation of the un*x editor.

DME: a programmers editor. Another one of Matt Dillons amazing products.

SHELL: I use version 2.07 but newer better(?) versions are out. They get rid
       of many of the C: commands and give you a scripting language. Very
       nice.

wKeys, wIcon: give keyboard equivalents to window front/back, screen
              front/back and a general window iconification. Very stable and
              reliable.

uShow: smallest iff file show program. Fast and featureless but also reliable.

dfc: replaces format and copy commands in a fast easy to use program that
     is smaller than either.

There's also zoo,arc and the related, but everyone knows of them right?

Juan

Juan Orlandini                ///                                   ///
Super User at large          ///    What *I* say, *I* say.         ///
juan@cobra.gatech.edu    \\\///     What *I* mean, *I* mean.   \\\///
juan@prism.gatech.edu     \XX/      What *you* get, *you* get.  \XX/