[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga project feedback.

BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) (03/08/90)

   I need some feedback on a little project I've been considering for the Amiga.
It is very, very simple electronically, but may come in handy when the ECS
comes out.

   As many of you know, the Amiga uses a 28.5Mhz clock, which is divided by four
by the Agnus chip to produce the 7.12Mhz clock.  The original 28.5Mhz signal is
available onthe RGB port.  Also on the RGB port are a number of lines that are
meant for feeding an external clock signal to the Amiga.  Genlocks use this to
replace the Amiga's clock with their own clock, thus synchronizing the Amiga to
the video input of the genlock.

   What I would like to know is this: should it be possible to use these input
lines to feed in a clock signal to the Amiga that is somewhat higher than normal,
but within range of tolerance of the Amiga's chips?

   The project I am speaking of would replace the 28.5Mhz clock with a 40Mhz
signal.  This signal would be divided by four to produce a 10Mhz base frequency
instead of the normal 7.12Mhz.  This would have the effect of speeding everything
up across the board -- video, audio, everything.  The video in particular would
have a higher frequency: in interlace mode, the 'jitter' would be occurring at
43Hz instead of 30Hz, reducing the flicker significantly.

   Of course, the Amiga's video would be totally unuseable on a normal monitor,
but a multisync monitor would be able to sort everything out.  "What's the point?"
you may ask.  "The flicker fixer totally eliminates the flicker."  But, there
are new interlace modes in the new chipset, and there will likely never be a
flicker fixer to deinterlace these modes, because the cost would be prohibitive.
Thus, this method would be the only way to reduce the flicker in the 640x960
and 1280x400 modes of the ECS.

   I have not had a chance to test my little project yet, as I haven't been able
to afford a multisync monitor.

                                              -MB-

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (03/09/90)

In article <13188@baldrick.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett) writes:
>   The project I am speaking of would replace the 28.5Mhz clock with a 40Mhz
>signal.  This signal would be divided by four to produce a 10Mhz base frequency
>instead of the normal 7.12Mhz.  This would have the effect of speeding everything
>up across the board -- video, audio, everything.  The video in particular would
>have a higher frequency: in interlace mode, the 'jitter' would be occurring at
>43Hz instead of 30Hz, reducing the flicker significantly.

My guess is that this increase by about 35% is way over the built-in margins.
I would expect that a lot of logic is going to miss set-up times if you clock
it at a 35% faster rate.  All those custom chips have got to have some pretty
tight timing in spots.  Most likely the enhanced custom chip set (God speed
it) will have significantly tighter timing constraints.  But it sounds easy
enough to test if you want to try it out.  Don't let me stop you ;^).

--
--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/09/90)

In article <13188@baldrick.udel.EDU> (Marc Barrett) writes:
> I need some feedback on a little project I've been considering for the Amiga.
> It is very, very simple electronically, but may come in handy when the ECS
> comes out.
>
>  As many of you know, the Amiga uses a 28.5Mhz clock ...
>  I ... would replace the 28.5Mhz clock with a 40Mhz signal.

Don't bother, just under 30Mhz and the system can't handle it any more.
If you can get access to a school EE lab you can do the experiment very
simply, just hook up a frequency generator and crank it up. The advantage
of using the freq generator is that you can also vary the duty cycle and
see how that helps.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

Sullivan@cup.portal.com (sullivan - segall) (03/09/90)

>   As many of you know, the Amiga uses a 28.5Mhz clock, which is divided by four
>by the Agnus chip to produce the 7.12Mhz clock.  The original 28.5Mhz signal is
>available onthe RGB port.  Also on the RGB port are a number of lines that are
>meant for feeding an external clock signal to the Amiga.  Genlocks use this to
>replace the Amiga's clock with their own clock, thus synchronizing the Amiga to
>the video input of the genlock.
>
>   What I would like to know is this: should it be possible to use these input
>lines to feed in a clock signal to the Amiga that is somewhat higher than normal,
>but within range of tolerance of the Amiga's chips?
>
>   The project I am speaking of would replace the 28.5Mhz clock with a 40Mhz
>signal.  This signal would be divided by four to produce a 10Mhz base frequency
>instead of the normal 7.12Mhz.  This would have the effect of speeding everything
>up across the board -- video, audio, everything.  The video in particular would
>have a higher frequency: in interlace mode, the 'jitter' would be occurring at
>43Hz instead of 30Hz, reducing the flicker significantly.
>
>   Of course, the Amiga's video would be totally unuseable on a normal monitor,
>but a multisync monitor would be able to sort everything out.  "What's the point?"
>you may ask.  "The flicker fixer totally eliminates the flicker."  But, there
>are new interlace modes in the new chipset, and there will likely never be a
>flicker fixer to deinterlace these modes, because the cost would be prohibitive.
>Thus, this method would be the only way to reduce the flicker in the 640x960
>and 1280x400 modes of the ECS.
>
>   I have not had a chance to test my little project yet, as I haven't been able
>to afford a multisync monitor.
>

>                                              -MB-
From previous discussions of the same topic, it seems that the custom
chips have very little leeway.  Eight MHz would be pushing the top end
of their performance.  The chips tolerance is similar to the tolerance
of the electronics in the standard monitor, so you wouldn't need to get
a multisynch anyway.  Beyond that, it is my understanding that multisynch
monitors try (more than NTSC monitors) to fit incoming signals to an
exact frequency.  This is done because they actually have to switch modes
at some point and display the data differently at different frequencies.
To the best of my knowlege they aren't very tolerant of random frequencies.

Your input clock signal needs to be clean.  (A 555 and a resistor/capacitor
won't cut it.)  If you want your monitor to synch up, it also needs to be
consistent.  That means a real crystal, buffers, power filtering, et. al.
Frequencies around 40MHz are very susceptible to noise.  Your traces are
going to need to be as short as possible.  Ground leads will need to be
well and frequently grounded.

All of this is off the top of my head.  The project seems feasible... I
hope you get it working.  Btw, from what I hear the monitor actually has
somewhat more leeway than the chips.  Someone from overseas claimed to
get a PAL monitor to run at NTSC speeds which is a 20% speed up.  You
should be well within those tolerances.  I haven't played with any of this
stuff since college, so all information is courtesy of prior messages on
USENET.  Truth value subject to change without notice.

                           -Sullivan Segall

/V\  Sullivan  was the first to learn how to jump  without moving.
 '   Is it not proper that the student should surpass the teacher?
To Quote the immortal Socrates: "I drank what?" -Sullivan

Mail to: ...sun!portal!cup.portal.com!Sullivan or
         Sullivan@cup.portal.com

rasp@trism.UUCP (Ralph Spitzner) (03/14/90)

In article <100463@convex.convex.com> swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) says:
> In article <13188@baldrick.udel.EDU> BARRETT@owl.ecil.iastate.edu (Marc Barrett> ) writes:
> >   The project I am speaking of would replace the 28.5Mhz clock with a 40Mhz
[both speaking about speeding things up]

I've tried several different Oscillators in my A500 the summary is
that you can stuff in any frequency upto about 36MHz.
At 36MHz (as one should know :-) ) your CIA's wont do any correct disk-
access, also some chip seems to have difficulties too, I've noticed that
when you move the mouse around a bit you'll get some splutter on the screen
that devinitly doesn't belong there.
Oh yeah, at frequencies above 36M my FAT Angus didn't do nothing anymore :-(
-rasp