[comp.sys.amiga] A few questions about my

darrell.grainger@canremote.uucp (DARRELL GRAINGER) (02/13/90)

 First, the 1 meg chip RAM Agnus is part number 8372. 8371 is 512K PAL
only; 8370 is 512K NTSC only.

 My guess would be that the space in the computer is the address space
between 1meg and 2meg (fast memory starts at the 2meg mark; second meg
of address space is blank according to system memory maps). I think
adding RAM in this space could cause compatibility problems.

Darrell
---
 * Via ProDoor 3.1R

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (03/09/90)

In article <90030707485816@masnet.uucp> darrell.grainger@canremote.uucp
(DARRELL GRAINGER) writes:
> My guess would be that the space in the computer is the address space
>between 1meg and 2meg (fast memory starts at the 2meg mark; second meg
>of address space is blank according to system memory maps). I think
>adding RAM in this space could cause compatibility problems.

The system memory map reserves 2 megs for Chip RAM, though current
hardware isn't up to the challenge yet.

I suppose putting memory into that space could cause problems.
Want to try it out and let us know?

Udo Schuermann           //  "The power to destroy a thing is the
walrus@cscwam.umd.edu  \X/    absolute control over it."  -- Frank Herbert

dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Dr. Mosh) (03/10/90)

>The system memory map reserves 2 megs for Chip RAM, though current
>hardware isn't up to the challenge yet.
>
>I suppose putting memory into that space could cause problems.
>Want to try it out and let us know?
>

>Udo Schuermann           //  "The power to destroy a thing is the
>walrus@cscwam.umd.edu  \X/    absolute control over it."  -- Frank Herbert

According to Amiga Resource, Commodore has been testing 2 meg chip ram
machines...  and in the magazine it discusses how to get 2 meg chip quite
easily actually, by replacing the rams with a bigger ram or something like
that and other "hacks"...  Pick up the latest A-Resource if you want to
read about it...

-Dino Khoe

Dr. of Moshology 		 |	|   | /  \  /\ |/     Any system
dksnsr@nmtsun.nmt.edu 		 |	|---||____||   |\     can be
New Mexico Tech Computer Science |	|   ||    | \/ | \    cracked...

ifarqhar@mqccsunc.mqcc.mq.OZ (Ian Farquhar) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar8.194633.997@wam.umd.edu> walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:
>The system memory map reserves 2 megs for Chip RAM, though current
>hardware isn't up to the challenge yet.

What was meant to go in the other spaces?  There is a total addressing
range of 16M, 9.5M of which can be RAM.  512K is used by the ROMS (two
maps of the same 256K of ROM), and 1M is used by I/O.  This accounts for
one extra meg, so can anyone tell the net what happenned to the other
4M?

"... and if the answer is Liberal, the question was probably stupid!"
					Tim (The Big Gig)

Ian Farquhar                      Phone : (612) 805-7420
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : (612) 805-7433
Macquarie University  NSW  2109   Also  : (612) 805-7205
Australia                         Telex : AA122377

ACSNet ifarqhar@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz.au  ifarqhar@suna.mqcc.mq.oz.au