[comp.sys.amiga] Super Agnus

xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng) (03/09/90)

I just read an interesting little rumor in Amiga Resource (yes yes I know :^) )
that a 2 meg Agnus was shipped in Revision 6 A500.  I opened mine up and no I
have a Revision 5 motherboard :-(.  Ah well...I just posted this so that any of
you lucky Rev 6 owners can peer inside you A500 to see if it is.  NOTE::This
is a rumor and the blurb goes on to say that C= has gone back to "normal" A500.

Sorry I dont know any details...the blurb said the reason these Super Angus
machines were released were to use 1 meg X 4 chips when 256K chips got real
expensive.  Also Rev 6 owners may be able to put 1 meg on the motherboard
by replacing the 256K chips by the 1 meg chips and changing a few jumpers...
this of course will void your warranty.

Just thought this would be interesting.

Nigel
        A| Nigel Tzeng      xrtnt@csdr.gsfc.nasa.gov
     // m| STX Inc.         xrtnt@csdr.span.nasa.gov
    //  i|
\\ //   g| Standard Disclaimer Applies:  The opinions expressed are my own.
 \X/    a|

pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) (03/09/90)

From article <1155@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, by xrtnt@amarna.gsfc.nasa.gov (Nigel Tzeng):

> machines were released were to use 1 meg X 4 chips when 256K chips got real
> expensive.  Also Rev 6 owners may be able to put 1 meg on the motherboard
> by replacing the 256K chips by the 1 meg chips and changing a few jumpers...
> this of course will void your warranty.

	Newest machines I've seen have 4 256k*4 drams onboard and places
	for other 4. So it should be very simple to extend from 512k to
	1 Meg by putting them in.

	This will also void your warranty (well, opening the case does
	it anyway)

BTW
	68000 does't blow when seated "upside down".

--
pl@tut.fi				! All opinions expressed above are
Pertti Lehtinen				! purely offending and in subject

phupp@warwick.ac.uk (S Millington) (03/12/90)

In article <11558@etana.tut.fi> pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:

>	Newest machines I've seen have 4 256k*4 drams onboard and places
>	for other 4. So it should be very simple to extend from 512k to
>	1 Meg by putting them in.

   Yes, BUT last time I rang CBM CATS UK had not been told how by CBM US:-)

   In a reply in a computer mag. article someone from commodore even denied
that these sockets were possible to connect up, and were future expansion.
I believe him:-)

>	This will also void your warranty (well, opening the case does
>	it anyway)

   You bothered to send in your waranty card? I had some bad ram when I first
got mine, the bloke in the shop just swapped it - no waranty stuff at all.

>BTW
>	68000 does't blow when seated "upside down".

   I don't think I'll try it :-)

* Stuart Millington             * "A Mind Is A Terrible Thing, Remember *
*                               *  That." - David Bryan, Bon Jovi       *
* JANET:phupp@uk.ac.warwick.cu  *****************************************
*    ? :phupp%warwick.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk                          *

CCGAVIN@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz (Gavin Stone-Tolcher...Prentice Computer Centre) (03/14/90)

In article <413@poppy.warwick.ac.uk>, phupp@warwick.ac.uk (S Millington) writes:
> In article <11558@etana.tut.fi> pl@etana.tut.fi (Lehtinen Pertti) writes:
>>
>>	Newest machines I've seen have 4 256k*4 drams onboard and places
>>	for other 4. So it should be very simple to extend from 512k to
>>	1 Meg by putting them in.
>
>    Yes, BUT last time I rang CBM CATS UK had not been told how by CBM US:-)
>
>    In a reply in a computer mag. article someone from commodore even denied
> that these sockets were possible to connect up, and were future expansion.
> I believe him:-)

	This is untrue. All A500s currently manufactured (ie. Main board
	revision 6A onwards) use the new 1M Agnus chip and are fully capable of
	using the extra ram slots on the board. Modification to two jumpers are
	required, 7a allows the extra 512k to autoconfig while jumper 2 forces
	it to config as chip ram instead of fast ram (this will give you 1M
	chip ram). My 500 was configured this way after warranty expiration.

    	If anyone from CBM US. is reading you might want to take note that
	similar confusion existed here in Australia. Possibly more can be done
	to inform non US CBM staff about changes to machines and what these
	changes may entail.

--
Internet: ccgavin@uqvax.decnet.uq.oz.au         Phone: +61 7 377 3025
  Postal: Gavin Stone-Tolcher, Prentice Computer Centre