[comp.sys.amiga] A-max - no drive...

In <38387@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu>, sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Andy Hartman) writes:
>This is a repost to the question I posted earlier.  I got flamed for it for
>sounding 'fishy' I promptly flamed back.  I'm sorry for that, whoever I flamed
>but nobody likes to be accused.  Anyhow, A friend loaned me a copy of his
>ORIGINAL a-max disk.  (his back-up)  He didn't want to give me his mac
>drive tho.  First, is this a violation of copyright laws?

Of course it is. You are both using it, contrary to not only the spirit, but
the letter of the copyright law.

>  I'm not copying
>it, just borowing a copy.  Also, my original question... can I use this with
>out a mac drive?  I want to use it (not just see it) before I consider buying
>it.

Well, now you know the law. You might also consider the ethics of what you are
doing. Once you consider that, it's really up to you to do 'the right thing',
whatever that may be in your case. If you are truly 'just evaluating', and if
you end up either erasing it or purchasing the package, you might be able to
justify your actions to yourself, and I doubt there are many folks who would
flame you for it. If you are just rationalizing, and have no intention of
buying it, then you will probably be deservedly flamed

-larry

--
Entymology bugs me.

Andy Hartman <sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> (03/10/90)

This is a repost to the question I posted earlier.  I got flamed for it for
sounding 'fishy' I promptly flamed back.  I'm sorry for that, whoever I flamed
but nobody likes to be accused.  Anyhow, A friend loaned me a copy of his
ORIGINAL a-max disk.  (his back-up)  He didn't want to give me his mac
drive tho.  First, is this a violation of copyright laws?  I'm not copying
it, just borowing a copy.  Also, my original question... can I use this with
out a mac drive?  I want to use it (not just see it) before I consider buying
it.  If anyone can give me any info, it would be appreciated.  If I have to
wait until after Spring Break, so be it.  I just wanted to use it this week.
thanks in advance,
Andy

     *                     |      ////  "If it's not an  *
     *	Andy Hartman       |     ////    Amiga... to     *
     *  Indiana University | \\\X///     hell with it!"  *
     *                     |  \XXX/ 			 *
     *---------------------------------------------------*
     * AMHARTMA@rose.ucs.indiana.edu			 *
     * sl195091@silver.ucs.indiana.edu			 *

aijpo@castle.ed.ac.uk (Joel Potter) (03/10/90)

	Well, the law here says copyright covers unauthorised lending,
along with reselling, duplicating, broadcasting, transmitting,
recording, throwing out of windows, etc.

--
DarkAngel!		|	"the rumours of my death are greatly
	AI/CS 1		|	    exaggerated"

sk2x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Sun Kun Kim) (03/11/90)

Hmmm.... Well, I was the one who 'flamed' this gentleman.  I sorta told him
that I smell something fishy.(meaning pirated stuff)  Anyway, he replied by
e-mail:
>He is letting me use a backup copy.  He still has his original.  I asked for
>information, not a useless flame.
>AMH

First of all, my e-mail to you WAS NOT A FLAME.  I was trying to tell you
that I could see 'PIRATED COPY' written all over your post!!!  If it was
a flame, I would not have sent e-mail.

Secondly, THIS POST IS A FLAME!
*flame on*

You asked for information and not a useless flame??  For your information,
a repost to your original post or e-mailing was NOT a good idea.  You goofed
AGAIN.  So, your friend lent you a COPY of his A-Max and you want to know
how to use A-Max without a MAC drive??  Let's backup a little and start over!
Just HOW are you planning to RUN A-Max without A-Max HARDWARE???(such as apple
roms)  Unless Readysoft released a NEW version with the apple roms copied
onto a disk(without the public and APPLE not knowing), I think it is SAFE to
conclude that YOU HAVE a pirated version.(perhaps your friend doesn't even
exist!)  So was this a USELESS flame??  Was I wrong in concluding that YOU
have a pirated copy?  I think NOT.  I WOULD SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT THIS BEFORE
YOU REPLY(OR FLAME) TO THIS POST!

*flame off*

'Nuff said.

                                         Sun...

There are certain people on the net who are so anti-piracy that it
becomes a religious fervor, and, like Pat Robertson et al., they will
say anything, accurate _or not_, to back up their point.

Many packages on the market DO specifically make provisions for
"borrowing." Usually, the copyright rules will make a reference to their
license allowing you access "like a book." IE you can lend it to
someone, and they have sole use of it.

In no way does the copyright law restrict one from borrowing, lending,
selling, etc. any product. Copyright does cover unauthorized
duplication. Only if a product's specifies that transferral is
restricted are you limited, and even that is of some question legally.

Terry Conklin
conklin@egr.msu.edu
uunet!frith!conklin

krag@cup.portal.com (Kevin Ray Grotjohn) (03/12/90)

I sure hope the guy also gave you the Amax hardware so that he cannot use it
while you "borrow" the software.  In that case it makes sense to use a backup
of his original.  He should already have some system disks in AMAX format
which will allow you to test the system.  If you wish to use any Mac format
disks you need a Mac drive.

usenet@cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:

>Many packages on the market DO specifically make provisions for
>"borrowing." Usually, the copyright rules will make a reference to their
>license allowing you access "like a book." IE you can lend it to
>someone, and they have sole use of it.

>In no way does the copyright law restrict one from borrowing, lending,
>selling, etc. any product. Copyright does cover unauthorized
>duplication. Only if a product's specifies that transferral is
>restricted are you limited, and even that is of some question legally.

Well making backup copies is legal then right? so
does that mean I can start up an "OFF-SITE BACKUP SERVICE"?

yea, I will protect your investment from any site hazard, such as
earthquakes, floods, fires, etc. You just make a back up of your software
send it to me, and I will keep it safe and dry, I will even 'test' it out
from time to time to make sure it is a viable back up.
Perfectly legal, right?

for those die hards out there... it's a joke. :-D

--
John Sparks  | D.I.S.K. 24hrs 1200bps. Accessable via Starlink (Louisville KY)
sparks@corpane.UUCP <><><><><><><><><><><> D.I.S.K. ph:502/968-5401 thru -5406

aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (David C. Powell) (03/14/90)

Well, I finally got the Mac 128K Roms I needed for my A-Max (Thanks Marco!)
and now I find that, D@MN IT!  I can NOT use the Apple Mac Platinum, 800K
drive....  when it works it BARELY works, if at all...

First my setup: Amiga 1000 (old chips, ie. 512K chip, NO halfbrite)
                Alegra 2 Meg expansion
                Amiga Modem (if it matters...  ;-) )
                External C= drive (jumpered to pass power)
                External C= 5 1/4 drive
                A-Max (revision 2 of the hardware, so sez the readme)
                Apple Mac Platinum 800K drive

Symptoms: A-Max loads roms 'OK', boots off of my A-Max format system disk,
          then gurks/grinds and tells me EVERY Mac disk (be it original or
          copies of personal stuff from work.) is either needing to be formatted          or if A-Max reads the disk, the programs can not be run 'The program
          'XX' is busy or damaged' and they can NOT be copied to either another
          A-Max drive, nor can they be copied to the Ram Drive...  ARRRGH!  I
          finally get the Roms and my A-Max setup is NONFUNCTIONAL!!!  sigh..

          Being the good 'consultant/trainer' that I am, I did TRY the obvious.
          I swapped drives (ie. I traded with another known good 800K Apple
          drive) thinking the one I had borrowed might be slightly out of
          alignment, but alas, the symptoms are WORSE, the drive I have NOW
          will NOT even read the same disks the other one did, and it will NOT
          load/run some programs the other drive managed to load...  Next,
          thinking it MIGHT be the C= external drive causing some WEIRD problem
          I hooked the LONG A-max cartridge to the BACK of my 1000, NO change
          in behavior....

So, before calling ReadySoft (in Canada, with me being in Muncie, Indiana!)
anybody out there have ANY idea what could be going on?  Easy way to test I
know is to try it out on another machine, I will this weekend when I am NOT
working/going to classes...  ;-)  I just want some INPUT from other people who
maybe have had this problem and fixed it..

Thanks in ADVANCE!

                                  David C. Powell
                                  M.I.S. Senior
                                  Ball State University
                                  Muncie, Indiana

*-David Powell :ARPA: aegnor@bsu-cs.bsu.edu--------------------------*
| \/ President :UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!aegnor       |
| /\etwnk Industries, Ltd. :                                         |
*-"If it doesn't work, we DIDN'T do it!"-----------------------------*