[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga UNIX: any info?

TO SOMEONE AT COMMODORE WORKING ON UNIX:
---------------------------------------

In article <296@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>In article <MWM.90Feb27110345@raven.pa.dec.com> mwm@raven.pa.dec.com writes:
>>What kind of Unix is CBM going to package in that
>>space? Alternatively, what is CBM going to sell as a "minimal" Unix
>>system? And how many of the minimal AmigaDOS machines I described
>>above will you be able to buy for that price?
>
>The memory constraint is a problem.  Unix is a pig, it is just a fact,
>but as for disk space.  We have put an entire release 4 system
>including X in something close to 60meg.  We are hoping to shrink that
>in many ways (remove networking if you don't use it, X is history if
>you wish).
>
>>Don't get me wrong - I think having Unix available is a wonderfull
>>thing. I also think that, like the Mac & PC world, the price of
>>running Unix will keep almost everyone from doing so.
>
>This is a good point.  How much is do you think a low end Unix
>workstation should go for to be in the typical user's price range?
>
>--
>ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

	Keith, I realize that you are probably under some
restrictions, but I'd appreciate your saying what you can:

1) I notice that your signature is ag@amix.commodore.com. Does that
mean you are connected to a Unix amiga as you read this?

2) Are you implying that X comes with the Unix?

3) Currently, X is only B&W. Will it be available in color by the time
that the Unix machine is released?

4) The U. of Lowell board, connected to some huge monitor, seems like
what would make an Amiga into a full "Sun" workstation, i.e. big and
colorful. Is it Commodore's intention to make the Unix Amiga work with
UofL and if so is the U. of L. expected out soon, i.e. with the Unix
machine.

5) How's the networking hardware/software coming along?

6) Are there any dates for the release? At AmiExpo or CeBit?

	Thanks for your time,
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) (03/08/90)

es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:

>TO SOMEONE AT COMMODORE WORKING ON UNIX:
>---------------------------------------

I don't qualify, but what the hell ...

>2) Are you implying that X comes with the Unix?

How can X not come with Unix?  Ok, there is a bit of work to port X to
a specific version of Unix and a lot more work (I imagine) to make it
use the Amiga graphics hardware.  But X is PD.  Remember, we aren't talking
about Dale's AmigaX here, we are talking about a Unix X.

>3) Currently, X is only B&W. Will it be available in color by the time
>that the Unix machine is released?

See above.  X for the Amiga (ie.  AmigaOS) is only B&W.  Unix X is colour.

>4) The U. of Lowell board, connected to some huge monitor, seems like
>what would make an Amiga into a full "Sun" workstation, i.e. big and
>colorful. Is it Commodore's intention to make the Unix Amiga work with
>UofL and if so is the U. of L. expected out soon, i.e. with the Unix
>machine.

Actually, this is an interresting thought.  The big reason for not
make the UofL board standard is that it doesn't fit the AmigaOS well,
as I understand it.  But it wouldn't be any more difficult to make an
X server that ran on the UofL board than on the Amiga screen.  And since
X allows multiple displays per server, it would be possible to set up
the UofL board as <amigaid>:1 and the normal display as <amigaid>:0 ...
Of course, how you differentiate between the two at the input side of
things isn't as easy, but hey, it's something to think about.

--
-- Blair MacIntyre, Professional Leech on Society ( aka CS Graduate Student )
-- bmacintyre@{watcgl, watdragon, violet}.{waterloo.edu, UWaterloo.ca}

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (03/10/90)

In article <21730@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
|[...]
|Actually, this is an interresting thought.  The big reason for not
|make the UofL board standard is that it doesn't fit the AmigaOS well,
|as I understand it.  But it wouldn't be any more difficult to make an
|X server that ran on the UofL board than on the Amiga screen.  And since
|X allows multiple displays per server, it would be possible to set up
|the UofL board as <amigaid>:1 and the normal display as <amigaid>:0 ...
|Of course, how you differentiate between the two at the input side of
|things isn't as easy, but hey, it's something to think about.

	I have seen Amix running X on a UofLowell
	board in color - it looks pretty good.

	It was demoed in November at the World of
	Commodere in Toronto...

Cheers,
--
  (__)	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ontario
w \@@/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

lee@sed170.HAC.COM (John Lee) (03/10/90)

In article <1990Mar6.193622.13377@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
[...]
>3) Currently, X is only B&W. Will it be available in color by the time
>that the Unix machine is released?
[...]
>Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
>Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
>Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

Please clarify this.  Are you referring to the Amiga version of X11 from
Gfxbase?  The X11 protocol and all X11 releases from MIT has always supported
color.

--John Lee
Raining CATS and DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System
	+--------+			John Lee
	| HUGHES |
	+--------+			ARPAnet: jhlee@hac2arpa.hac.com
	Hughes Aircraft Company
The above opinions are those of the user and not of those of this machine.

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (03/14/90)

In article <21730@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bmacintyre@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre) writes:
>es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Ethan Solomita) writes:
>>
>>TO SOMEONE AT COMMODORE WORKING ON UNIX:
>>---------------------------------------
>>2) Are you implying that X comes with the Unix?

Yes, X will come with Amix System V Release 4.

>How can X not come with Unix?  Ok, there is a bit of work to port X to
>a specific version of Unix and a lot more work (I imagine) to make it
>use the Amiga graphics hardware.  But X is PD.  Remember, we aren't talking
>about Dale's AmigaX here, we are talking about a Unix X.

X was It was actually a pain in the butt to port X to System V Release
3.  Just because something is public domain doesn't mean that it
automatically works.  If only (int *)0 could talk...

>>3) Currently, X is only B&W. Will it be available in color by the time
>>that the Unix machine is released?
>
>X for the Amiga (ie.  AmigaOS) is only B&W.  Unix X is colour.

bizzzzt!  Dale has Color X working and has for some time now.  Color X
under Amix is not quite solid, yet, but is being worked on as I type.

>4) The U. of Lowell board, connected to some huge monitor, seems like
>what would make an Amiga into a full "Sun" workstation, i.e. big and
>colorful. Is it Commodore's intention to make the Unix Amiga work with
>UofL and if so is the U. of L. expected out soon, i.e. with the Unix
>machine.

Yes.

Pax, Keith
--