[comp.sys.amiga] Requests from CATS for info on improvement

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU (David C. Navas) (03/10/90)

Recently a certain [the name escapes me] CATS official asked for information
on how to improve the useability of the computer.

Well, here's an interesting thought, wouldn't it be nice if we got a manual
with the computer which tells us how to run the machine?

I mean, yeah, you get that piece of garbage that they send you -- but what
about shell commands?  What is all this mountlist stuff?  This needs to be
documented standard with the computer, or else the standard [workbench] interface
must be able to manipulate such things without the knowledge of the average
[dumb] computer user.

I hope that they already do this, it's been awhile since I bought my machine,
but it's really *bad* when you get a machine without manuals that tell you
how to run the thing... :(

David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
"Think you can, think you can't -- either way it's true."  Henry Ford

robin@sabre.uucp (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) (03/12/90)

In article <22863@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:
>Recently a certain [the name escapes me] CATS official asked for information
>on how to improve the useability of the computer.
>Well, here's an interesting thought, wouldn't it be nice if we got a manual
>with the computer which tells us how to run the machine?
>I mean, yeah, you get that piece of garbage that they send you -- but what
>about shell commands?  What is all this mountlist stuff?  This needs to be
>documented standard with the computer, or else the standard [workbench] interface
>must be able to manipulate such things without the knowledge of the average
>[dumb] computer user.
>I hope that they already do this, it's been awhile since I bought my machine,
>but it's really *bad* when you get a machine without manuals that tell you
>how to run the thing... :(

Here; Here!  It couldn't cost that much extra to include a DOS manual.  I
realize that most users would just use it occassionally for a reference, but
still it would be nice to have if needed.  The "Enhancer Manual" is worthless
save for the "New" commands (and even then it's pretty weak).  I would say
that v1.4 should include a manual for AMIGA DOS with the upgrade too.

Just wishful thinin'.

|The views expressed herein, are the sole responsibility of the typist at hand|
|USNail:                               UUCP:                                  |
|2323 Wells Branch Pkwy., #G107        cs.utexas.edu!romp!ibmchs!auschs\      |
|Austin, TX  78728                     !sabre.austin.ibm.com!robin            |
|Home: (512)251-6889                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^<-MUST BE INCLUDED|

walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) (03/13/90)

In article <3162@cello.UUCP> robin@reed.UUCP (Robin D. Wilson/1000000) writes:
>In article <22863@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:
>>Recently a certain [the name escapes me] CATS official asked for information
>>on how to improve the useability of the computer.
>>Well, here's an interesting thought, wouldn't it be nice if we got a manual
>>with the computer which tells us how to run the machine?
>Here; Here!  It couldn't cost that much extra to include a DOS manual.

How about a simple `man' command?  Maybe driven off a text file which
could be sent to the printer to make your own hardcopy if needed.

This would a) not really cost much (except diskspace), b) be better
than nothing, and c) give you some type of online documentation which
I prefer to non-ringbound stuff at least.

I heard someone was/is doing this.  Any info out there?

Udo

icsu8212@caesar.cs.montana.edu (Stone) (03/13/90)

navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:
>Recently a certain [the name escapes me] CATS official asked for information
>on how to improve the useability of the computer.
>Well, here's an interesting thought, wouldn't it be nice if we got a manual
>with the computer which tells us how to run the machine?
>I mean, yeah, you get that piece of garbage that they send you -- but what
>about shell commands?  What is all this mountlist stuff?  This needs to be
>documented standard with the computer, or else the standard [workbench] interface
>must be able to manipulate such things without the knowledge of the average
>[dumb] computer user.
>I hope that they already do this, it's been awhile since I bought my machine,
>but it's really *bad* when you get a machine without manuals that tell you
>how to run the thing... :(

I have to agree, the documentation that comes with the Amiga is at best
sorry!  I am an experienced user and a senior in Computer Science, and
found the documentation less than helpful in learning to use the Amiga.
Granted a lot of the information was their, but much more was left to
intuition (pardon the pun) than actually explained.  And a GOOD DOS manual
would be about the best improvement that I can think of.  If I had not
been convinced of the Amiga's capabilities BEFORE I bought it, I would
have definitely been convinced I had made a mistake AFTER buying it.

It is an astounding computer, let's see something done with it!
    //X\\                     |  {uunet|relay} icsu8212@caesar.cs.montana.edu
   /// \\\   AMIGA HACKER     |   Murphy's First Law: (un-amended)
  ///         Mike Stone      |          Nothing can possibly go wrong.

:>How about a simple `man' command?  Maybe driven off a text file which
:>could be sent to the printer to make your own hardcopy if needed.
:>
:>I heard someone was/is doing this.  Any info out there?

Yup, check out my HyperHelp program in the comp.(sources|binaries).amiga
archives.

Oh, somebody asked me to mail it to them but I lost there
name/address. If you are that person (or if you want it)
please email me and I will try to get it to you.
 Joe Porkka   porkka@frith.egr.msu.edu

In article <22863@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> navas@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (David C. Navas) writes:
>Recently a certain [the name escapes me] CATS official asked for information
>on how to improve the useability of the computer.
>
>Well, here's an interesting thought, wouldn't it be nice if we got a manual
>with the computer which tells us how to run the machine?
[...]

What I think would be nice would be to have icons for device drivers, so
you could open up the directories and tell what the WB disk is
configured for.  Also what might be nice is being able to view a
directory in a window by filename instead of icon.  Maybe with a
slightly smaller font than the larger Amiga default font.

>David Navas                                   navas@cory.berkeley.edu
>"Think you can, think you can't -- either way it's true."  Henry Ford

 _   /|
 \`o.O'    Chris Dailey, Amiga Enthusiast
 =(___)=   dailey@cpsin1.cps.msu.edu
    U      - "Meow."
(Bill the Cat not original--imitation intended as a form of flattery.)

new@udel.edu (Darren New) (03/14/90)

In article <6900@cps3xx.UUCP> dailey@cpsin1.UUCP (Chris Dailey) writes:
>What I think would be nice would be to have icons for device drivers, so
>you could open up the directories and tell what the WB disk is
>configured for.
Isn't this what the expansion drawer is?
I thought the binddrivers would go thru the icons in the expansion
drawer and configure any not-previously-configured items
that are in here.
Of course, if the device manufacturer does not support the binddrivers
command, C= probably has little they could do to enforce it.
Binddrivers-type confiuration will probably become much more prevelant
with 1.4 as I understand much work has been put into WorkBench.
		      -- Darren

cmcmanis@stpeter.Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) (03/14/90)

In article <1990Mar12.184000.25855@wam.umd.edu> (Udo K Schuermann) writes:
>How about a simple `man' command?  Maybe driven off a text file which
>could be sent to the printer to make your own hardcopy if needed.

This is the most feasible suggestion I believe. I started writing something
like it in ARexx but then got distracted. The interesting thing to note is
that now that we have the "big 3" Adobe fonts (with 1.3) of Courier,
Helvetica, and Times Roman, it becomes very simple to generate a file
that looks good on the screen and can be easily printed on a postscript
printer, also looking good. I'm not sure if Commodore could be convinced
to release the 72, 144, and 300 dpi versions of these fonts, if so you
could also get decent output on your dot matrix printer as well.

--Chuck McManis
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!cmcmanis   BIX: cmcmanis  Internet: cmcmanis@Eng.Sun.COM
"If it didn't have bones in it, it wouldn't be crunchy now would it?!"

	I think Commodore must really consider ways of making the
system more configurable for people who don't know the CLI and its
strange ways. *^> There should be a utility in the workbench menu, for
example, that handles assigns and makes it possible to save new
assigns. Possibly a devs:assigns file being an ascii text file so it
is easy for programs to manipulate.
	A way to install fonts more easily is also all but essential.
I can do it, but it gets very confusing from the CLI. If it weren't
for programs like diskman it would probably take a few tries. Perhaps
a "suit-case" like program from the Mac world.
	Just some more IMHOs from:
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu
Compu$erve    : 70137,3271
Anyone giving away Amigas or Sharp Scanners???

	"I'm a politician. I lie and steal. When I'm not kissing
babies I'm stealing their lollipops"
		-- Red October (probably mungled)

dcr3567@ultb.isc.rit.edu (D.C. Richardson) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar12.184000.25855@wam.umd.edu> walrus@wam.umd.edu (Udo K Schuermann) writes:

>This would a) not really cost much (except diskspace), b) be better
>than nothing, and c) give you some type of online documentation which
>I prefer to non-ringbound stuff at least.
>I heard someone was/is doing this.  Any info out there?
>Udo

Actually, I'd love to see an interactive "HELP" command *SIMILAR* (not
like, because it needs a lot of help as it is) on the VAX VMS systems.

How about a HELP program that would search through a large file for info
on commands?  I've done this in a similar way with comments on all my C:
commands (4 megs worth!), but it makes an ugly listing...

like:  HELP DIR
   DIR<ectory> :  DIR <Device>:<path><Path><filename>
      Shows Directory of blah blah blah...

Would be nice, and probably easy for some C Guru..

-Dan

--
Daniel C. Richardson
Rochester Institute Of Technology     /    Mechanical Engineering Dept.