[comp.sys.amiga] F-16 Combat Pilot

yee@osf.org (Michael K. Yee) (03/09/90)

	I know this topic was probably discussed before. But, has anyone
	seen the F-16 Combat Pilot simulator?  Is it better than Falcon?
	I currently have Falcon and like it very much except I haven't quite
	got the knack of landing yet.  I guess what I'm asking is what is
	the best flight simulator for the Amiga, feature for feature?

	Thanks in advance

	=Mike

= Michael K. Yee =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
= OPEN Software Foundation -- 11 Cambridge Center -- Cambridge, MA 02142
= Phone: 617-621-8831      Email: yee@osf.org or uunet!osf.org!yee
"Take all that you need, and leave the land as it was." - Amer. Indian saying

mcdonley@dinl.uucp (alan mcdonley) (03/14/90)

I have been flying MicroSoft or Sublogic not sure which Flight Simulator
II on the amiga 1000 for about 30 hours now.  I really think it is the
best way to learn to fly, land, live.  There is a book Flying Flight
Simulator which is based on the Amiga version which takes about 20 hours
to fly all the lessons.  the author takes you from nothing to a
successful landing the first flight and first hour of flying!  (I
crashed a bunch in hours 2-10.  I can now takeoff, land, navigate,
figure out where I am and what heading to fly to the airport.  At 25
hours I picked up the book Flying Commercial Flight Simulator and am
honing skills on maintaining altitude in high bank turns (standard rate
turns are higher than the first book used), climbing and diving by
throttle, etc.  Flying Commercial has five checkrides to hone / test
your skills before heading off with passengers/cargo.

I am about to purchase Falcon but more as a novelty than anything else.

Alan McDonley,        Martin Marietta Information and Communication Systems
(303) 977-3347        mcdonley@inlatlas.den.mmc.com
P.O.Box 1260          ncar!dinl!mcdonley
Denver,CO 80201-1260  Opinions are my own, not my employer's.

JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) (03/15/90)

In article <1545@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, mcdonley@dinl.uucp (alan mcdonley) says:

>I have been flying MicroSoft or Sublogic not sure which Flight Simulator
>II on the amiga 1000 for about 30 hours now.  I really think it is the
>best way to learn to fly, land, live.

Agreed.  Flight Sim. II is wonderful.

>I am about to purchase Falcon but more as a novelty than anything else.

This I want to try to talk you out of.  If you want the best combat
flight simulator for the Amiga (IMHO), get F/A-18 Interceptor.  This
is one helluva program.   I spend hours just flying it around, aside
from the combat missions.  The detail in this game is just staggering.

                                                             Kurt
|| Kurt Tappe   (814) 862-8630 ||  "This town needs an enema."        ||
|| 600 E. Pollock Rd., #5705   ||                   - Joker, "Batman" ||
|| State College, PA 16801      --------------------------------------||
||   jkt100@psuvm.bitnet  or  jkt100@psuvm.psu.edu                    ||
||        or  jkt100%psuvm.bitnet@psuvax1           QLink: KurtTappe  ||

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (03/15/90)

In article <90073.150212JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu>, JKT100@psuvm.psu.edu (JKT) writes:
> In article <1545@dinl.mmc.UUCP>, mcdonley@dinl.uucp (alan mcdonley) says:
> >I am about to purchase Falcon but more as a novelty than anything else.
> >
> This I want to try to talk you out of.  If you want the best combat
> flight simulator for the Amiga (IMHO), get F/A-18 Interceptor.  This
> is one helluva program.   I spend hours just flying it around, aside
> from the combat missions.  The detail in this game is just staggering.

F/A-18 is fantastic, but it is certainly NOT a simulator.  If our planes
were that advanced, than you could call it a simulator:
1. Radar is not that powerful.
2. Real planes don't fly that steady.
3. You can't make a horizontally level turn at high speed.
4. Your enemy is not this pathetic.

Any combat flight simulator which lets you kill 4  migs  in  practically
every  mission  is just a very fancy shoot-em up.  A real pilot may make
10 kills in his entire career!  In the Vietnam war, there was a pilot (I
forget  his  name)  who made 16 kills, and was considered an ace.  In 18
started F/A-18 missions (that I haven't gotten killed in)  I  shot  down
more than 50 MIGs.

Falcon, on the other hand is a simulator.  When you down a MIG, you feel
real accomplishement.  You constantly have to be aware of  your  energy,
you must beware of blackout and redout and GLOC...

Both  are  excellent programs, and I must admit that the F/A-18 missions
are much more unique and  interesting,  but  to  me,  it's  just  not  a
simulator.
--
  |\  |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423            |  /|
  |   |   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  |   |