[comp.sys.amiga] Standard file formats

hopp@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (03/10/90)

This is something I feel strongly about.  I wanted to let my voice be
heard.  (Warning! Warning!)  :-)

I've noticed that the Amiga has a strength that is rare in the
computer world.  The Amiga has standard file formats, particularly for
images.  Any Amiga program that deals with images can read images
produced by any other Amiga program.  On an IBM or Macintosh this
might take the aid of one or more conversion programs.  I would be
willing to guess that this is in part responsible for the strength of
the Amiga in the desktop video market.
   Yet there are some other sorts of files which can be found in two
or three different formats.  There are a number of examples of this,
particularly in areas like 3D objects or 2D vector images.

I would like to encourage the Amiga community, particularly software
developers, to continue supporting standard file types where they
exist, and to take the time to think new ones out where they are
needed.  I believe this will pay large dividends in the usability of
individual software packages and in the public acceptance of the Amiga
in the future.  (Sales force, cash in on this!  I think we have the
market nearly cornered!)

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
							-eric hopp
							 hopp@stolaf.edu

donw@zehntel.zehntel.com (Don White) (03/15/90)

In article <11668@thor.acc.stolaf.edu> hopp@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu () writes:
>This is something I feel strongly about.  I wanted to let my voice be
>heard.  (Warning! Warning!)  :-)
>
>   Yet there are some other sorts of files which can be found in two
>or three different formats.  There are a number of examples of this,
>particularly in areas like 3D objects or 2D vector images.

     YES! We need a standard IFF 3D format. I notice sculpt uses some
  form of IFF file for their object files. Could this be more generally
  adopted? (OR DID THEY DO SOMETHING IDIOTIC AND MAKE A PROPRIETARY STANDARD?)

     Any answers? Any questions? Anyone want a mint?

     Don W.
     Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw