[comp.sys.amiga] virusx

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (06/04/88)

> *Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.sys.amiga: 1-Jun-88 VirusX+Byte+King of Chicago..*
> *Tommy Petersson@enea.se (2197)*

>  I just tried VirusX 1.21 from the net, and it's neat! Easy and safe to
> find viruses (SCA and ByteBandit) + other non-standard boot-blocks. And
> it does that while you are running another program!

It's nice that it stays in the background and checks disks, but I won't use it
because it leaves that #%^$@&! window on my workbench screen!

PLEASE!  If you write a program whose only purpose is to sit in the background
and does not need to constantly communicate with the user,  then it doesn't
need to open a window on the Workbench screen.  I have enough windows
fluttering about on my Workbench without "garbage" windows (i.e. those that
don't give me information or allow me to interact with the program owning the
window) getting in the way.

I'll stick with VCheck in my startup-sequence, thank you.

                        --M

Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu                     BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"if you ain't ill it'll fix your car"

SLMYQ@USU.BITNET (06/05/88)

>>  I just tried VirusX 1.21 from the net, and it's neat! Easy and safe to
>> find viruses (SCA and ByteBandit) + other non-standard boot-blocks. And
>> it does that while you are running another program!
>
>It's nice that it stays in the background and checks disks, but I won't use it
>because it leaves that #%^$@&! window on my workbench screen!
>
>PLEASE!  If you write a program whose only purpose is to sit in the background
>and does not need to constantly communicate with the user,  then it doesn't
>need to open a window on the Workbench screen.  I have enough windows
>fluttering about on my Workbench without "garbage" windows (i.e. those that
>don't give me information or allow me to interact with the program owning the
>window) getting in the way.

You could use Matt's MWB program or my Screens program (being moderated) to
create a "garbage" screen, and when you run a program which opens a "garbage"
Workbench window, just redirect it to that screen.  You never need to bring
it to the front if you don't want to.

Agreed, programs should be operated by something other than private windows.
This brings up another issue.  One way (very popular) is hot-keys.  However,
they aren't usually customizable, and it's easy to forget them, not to
mention duplicates.  Another way is that "TinyWindow" thing that was posted
a while ago.  Pretty neat, although I think the user should have the option
to activate it through a hot-key or Workbench icon rather than a tiny window.
SideKick uses this method (a menu) to activate its sub-programs.  I think
that some time we'll need some sort of standard for activating memory
resident programs.

                                Bryan Ford (SLMYQ@USU.BITNET)

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (06/10/88)

In article <MWdm49y00Vs3I93UVy@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:

> PLEASE!  If you write a program whose only purpose is to sit in the background
> and does not need to constantly communicate with the user,  then it doesn't
> need to open a window on the Workbench screen.  I have enough windows
> fluttering about on my Workbench without "garbage" windows (i.e. those that
> don't give me information or allow me to interact with the program owning the
> window) getting in the way.

Another culprit is Dropshadow.  Great program, but I wish I could make
the requester window go away once it's set to my liking.

The PD program wIconify helps a lot; it shrinks the big annoying
window down to a little bitty icon.

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{cbosgd,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,mit-eddie,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Olson) (11/29/89)

     I recently saw a version of virusX labeled 4.x.  Could somebody please
tell me if this is a legitimate version or another hoax (like 3.3).
                                    Thanx,
                                    Todd Olson

olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Jules Cisek) (11/29/89)

In article <5569@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>, olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Todd Olson) writes:
>      I recently saw a version of virusX labeled 4.x.  Could somebody please
> tell me if this is a legitimate version or another hoax (like 3.3).

I believe it is legitimate. It now fights the AddBuffers virus.
--
Fight |     //             Julius A. Cisek   jac423,jules      |Don't
Like a|   \X/ ->crunch<-   SUNYA, NY USA     @leah.albany.edu  | Be a

msiskin@shogun.us.cc.umich.edu (Marc Siskin) (11/30/89)

In article <5569@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> olson@uhccux.UUCP (Todd Olson) writes:

>     I recently saw a version of virusX labeled 4.x.  Could somebody please
>tell me if this is a legitimate version or another hoax (like 3.3).
>                                    Thanx,
>                                    Todd Olson
>
>olson@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

  Yes Todd there is a real VirusX4.0.  It was released earlier this week and
is (or should) be available on most of your reputable COmmercial Nets and
larger or more active local BBS's.

      Marc Siskin
      Librarian Michigan Amiga Computer Resource Organization
      Ann Arbor Michigan

bjmills@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brad Mills) (12/01/89)

In article <5569@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> olson@uhccux.UUCP (Todd Olson) writes:

>     I recently saw a version of virusX labeled 4.x.  Could somebody please
>tell me if this is a legitimate version or another hoax (like 3.3).

Steve Tibbet, the author, runs OMX, an Ottawa-based Amiga BBS (613)731-3419
if you're interested.  The last time I checked, the latest version of
VirusX was still 3.2.  I am fairly sure that Steve would post any further
upgrades to his own board... :-)  In other words, don't use 4.4.

Brad

harper@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (12/01/89)

I posted VirusX v4.0 on mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu in the directory
amiga/virus.  It is available by anonymous ftp to the above site.

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/02/89)

In article <18839@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, bjmills@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brad Mills) writes:
> Steve Tibbet, the author, runs OMX, an Ottawa-based Amiga BBS (613)731-3419
> if you're interested.  The last time I checked, the latest version of
> VirusX was still 3.2.  I am fairly sure that Steve would post any further
> upgrades to his own board... :-)  In other words, don't use 4.4.
>
> Brad

Steve has also posted it to Compuserve as file 'VIRUSX.LZH'.  It was posted
on 27-Nov-89 and is 63939 bytes in length.  It is version 4.0.  Since there
seem to be alot of fake copies going around, I would suggest getting it from
there or from BIX.  I was bitten by the BSG-9 virus which is the one that
replaces your first executable file in your 'Startup-Sequence'.  The file on
Compuserve is in the AMIGATECH area under New Uploads (library 1).

             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (12/04/89)

In article <18839@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bjmills@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brad Mills) writes:
:>
:
:Steve Tibbet, the author, runs OMX, an Ottawa-based Amiga BBS (613)731-3419
:if you're interested.  The last time I checked, the latest version of
:VirusX was still 3.2.  I am fairly sure that Steve would post any further
:upgrades to his own board... :-)  In other words, don't use 4.4.
:
:Brad

As seen on PeopleLink and Compuserve - Yes, Steve has released VirusX 4.0.
It's best to get these sort of things from larger, guarded networks.
Remeber, Steve's official releases ALWAYS includes the source code.
THere's also been some reports that the initial 4.0 will not work with
CBM's A590 HD, and possibly the A2091 interface.  Anyone confirm this
yet?

Joel Swan
PLINK: Amiga*joel
CI$$$: 74746,3240

bjmills@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brad Mills) (12/05/89)

In article <2282@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:

>As seen on PeopleLink and Compuserve - Yes, Steve has released VirusX 4.0.
>It's best to get these sort of things from larger, guarded networks.
>Remeber, Steve's official releases ALWAYS includes the source code.
>
>Joel Swan

Then again, I wouldn't download it anywhere else other than Steve's board.
OMX:(613)731-3419.

Brad

swan@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US (Joel Swan) (12/05/89)

In article <18999@watdragon.waterloo.edu> bjmills@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brad Mills) writes:
:In article <2282@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
:>
:>As seen on PeopleLink and Compuserve - Yes, Steve has released VirusX 4.0.
:>It's best to get these sort of things from larger, guarded networks.
:>Remeber, Steve's official releases ALWAYS includes the source code.
:>
:>Joel Swan
:
:Then again, I wouldn't download it anywhere else other than Steve's board.
:OMX:(613)731-3419.
:
:Brad

Then again, it's obvious you've never visited PeopleLink.  Steve himself
is there all the time.  Oh yes, he was also the one to upload it there
as well.  Unless he's schizophrenic enough to release a good copy on his
board and a bogus one with CI$ and Peoplelink, I don't think there's a
reason not to get it from PLINK (other than not having access to it).
It sure would save lots of people long distance calls.

Joel

consp13@bingsund.cc.binghamton.edu (Marcus Cannava) (12/05/89)

writes:

> In article <2282@jolnet.ORPK.IL.US> swan@jolnet.UUCP (Joel Swan) writes:
> >
> >As seen on PeopleLink and Compuserve - Yes, Steve has released VirusX 4.0.
> >It's best to get these sort of things from larger, guarded networks.
> >Remeber, Steve's official releases ALWAYS includes the source code.
> >
> >Joel Swan
>
> Then again, I wouldn't download it anywhere else other than Steve's board.
> OMX:(613)731-3419.
>
> Brad

Again, a request: If anyone knows the access number for American PeopleLink,
PLEASE post it -- I've been trying to find it for awhile!

BTW, VirusX 4.0 does NOT work with the A590 hard drive, it just
GURU's. -- anyone have any ideas why?

I hope it gets fixed in 4.1...

				\marc

Harv@cup.portal.com (Harv R Laser) (12/06/89)

[posted from portal just to irritate Sexton...]

bjmills@crocus.waterloo.edu (Brad Mills) sez about where to get VirusX:
>Then again, I wouldn't download it anywhere else other than Steve's
>board [gives Steve's board's number...]

Then again, Steve Tibbett is one of my assistant Sysops on People/Link.
He uploaded VirusX 4.0 there his very own self.  Trust me, it's clean.
After listening to his travails about what the "Xeno" virus did to
his hard drive, *I'D* be hesitant to download it from his BBS! :-/

zmacv14@tsun3.doc.ic.ac.uk.doc.ic.ac.uk (C P Brown) (12/12/89)

Recently, I got attacked (again) by the Lamer Exterminator. Now it was
immediately found and killed (in memory) by VirusHunter. Then I tried running
VirusX3.2 (GREAT prog, BTW) on the affected disk to zap it. The boot block
was not recognised as the LE, just as a non-standard one. So I replaced it
anyway (all well and good). But VirusX, when I deliberately gave it the LE to
kill in memory, it discovered it and killed it and ... software error, CRASH!
Given that VirusX3.2 mentions the LE in its kill-list, I was surprised that
a) it did not recognise the boot block and
b) crashed when it found it in memory
I will of course upgrade to 4.0 ASAP, meanwhile, any ideas?

Cheers,

Phil

hrlaser@sactoh0.UUCP (Harv R. Laser) (12/13/89)

> Again, a request: If anyone knows the access number for American PeopleLink,
> PLEASE post it -- I've been trying to find it for awhile!
> 				\marc

People/Link signup: (these numbers should work from all 50 states)
By VOICE: 1-800-524-0100 'tween 9am-5pm CENTRAL TIME, Mon-Fri.
by MODEM: 1-800-826-8855, 24 hours a day, everyday. Use 300,
1200, or 2400 baud. Upon connection hit <return> slowly a
few times (to handshake the baud rate) and then follow the
bouncing prompts.

If you forget any of this, look for the People/Link advertisement
in the "special" AmigaWorld Video/Graphics issue which should be
on newsstands in January 1990 for three months.

--
 Harv Laser                  |  SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.
 People/Link: CBM*HARV       |  UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0!hrlaser

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (12/18/89)

In article <1410@gould.doc.ic.ac.uk: zmacv14@doc.ic.ac.uk (Phil Brown) writes:
:
:Recently, I got attacked (again) by the Lamer Exterminator. Now it was
:immediately found and killed (in memory) by VirusHunter. Then I tried running
:VirusX3.2 (GREAT prog, BTW) on the affected disk to zap it. The boot block
:was not recognised as the LE, just as a non-standard one. So I replaced it
:anyway (all well and good). But VirusX, when I deliberately gave it the LE to
:kill in memory, it discovered it and killed it and ... software error, CRASH!

	Remember that there are *two* seperate verisons of Lamer Exterminator.
VirusX3.20 only found the first one, the second one would show as just a
custom boot block. 4.00 now finds both.

:Cheers,
:
:Phil

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent.UUCP!calvin!billsey

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (03/13/90)

    Until yesterday I was a fairly happy user of a A1000 (for about 4 years).
I finally got my A2000HD/PC via the educational discount & set it up this
weekend. Everything is working very well except for virusx 4.0. In spite of
the fact that I am running the program 'ZeroClear' in the startup-sequence
before calling virusx it reports that the boot vector is not zero when
loaded and asks if I want to clear it (or something like that, I forget the
exact wording). Does anyone know what causes this and if there is a fix
available. Thanks.

msperry@rose.waterloo.edu (Mark Perry) (03/14/90)

In article <11054@saturn.ucsc.edu> terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) writes:
>I finally got my A2000HD/PC via the educational discount & set it up this
>weekend. Everything is working very well except for virusx 4.0. In spite of
>the fact that I am running the program 'ZeroClear' in the startup-sequence
>before calling virusx it reports that the boot vector is not zero when
>loaded and asks if I want to clear it (or something like that, I forget the
>exact wording). Does anyone know what causes this and if there is a fix
>available. Thanks.

This is caused by the 1meg of chip ram happily seated inside your Ami :-)
There is a setpatch command in your startup that points this out to the
operating system, and VirusX4.0 reports it. Until a new version of VirusX or
1.4 comes out, just ignore the messages. Anyone else have a better solution?
Later...

     // /| |\/| |  /  \ |\    "The thing about saying the wrong words is that
 \\ // / | |  | | |   _ | \    A, I don't notice it, and B, sometimes orange
  \X/ /--| |  | |  \__| |--\   water gibbon bucket and plastic."
   msperry@rose.waterloo.edu      - Mr Burrows (c/o Monty Python :-)

denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson) (03/14/90)

I believe it is the program Setpatch that is causing that message. If you use
Setpatch with the R option I believe that is what is causing the message from
Virusx to appear (Coldcapture vector is not zero do you wish to clear it).
Sorry I don't know why or how to avoid the message.
                                               Dennis Anderson

terry@helios.ucsc.edu (Terry Ricketts) (03/15/90)

In article <1834@crash.cts.com> denny@pnet01.cts.com (Dennis Anderson) writes:
>I believe it is the program Setpatch that is causing that message. If you use
>Setpatch with the R option I believe that is what is causing the message from
>Virusx to appear (Coldcapture vector is not zero do you wish to clear it).
>Sorry I don't know why or how to avoid the message.
>                                               Dennis Anderson

	I just discovered last night after reading the documentation for
Virusx again (amazing what you learn when you read the docs) that the
problem is caused by the fat agnus chip and using setpatch with the 'r' option.
When you do this you are supposed to call virusx with the '-r' option.
	I tried it and it works! No more requester telling me the cold boot
vector is bad. Life is wonderful again.
					Terry