[comp.sys.amiga] VLT Problems with Kermit.

horgan@csu.murdoch.oz (John Horgan) (03/13/90)

Kermit send/receive at 9600 baud just dosn't.  It usually results in a complete
hang/up situation or a system crash.  Lower baud rates seem to be OK.

Has any one else noticed this problem ?

Is there a fix in the wind ??

John Horgan
Murdoch University
Western Australia  (horgan@murdoch.oz)

chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu (Chris Lang) (03/13/90)

In article <1990Mar13.011606.13020@csu.murdoch.oz> horgan@csu.murdoch.oz (John Horgan) writes:
>Kermit send/receive at 9600 baud just dosn't.  It usually results in a complete
>hang/up situation or a system crash.  Lower baud rates seem to be OK.
>
>Has any one else noticed this problem ?

I used to notice this all the time.  (Same thing at 19.2kbps).  But I haven't
noticed it with the latest version of VLT (4.428).  I can't tell you if
it works with 4.226 because I jumped all the way from 4.058 to 4.428.  (So
I'm too lazy to keep up...)  What version are you using?

 -Chris
-----
Chris Lang, University of Michigan, College of Engineering    +1 313 763 1832
      4622 Bursley, Ann Arbor, MI, 48109          chrisl@caen.engin.umich.edu
WORK: National Center for Manufacturing Sciences,
      900 Victors Way, Suite 226, Ann Arbor, MI, 48108        +1 313 995 0300
"I hate quotations.  Tell me what you know."  - Ralph Waldo Emerson

liberato@drivax.UUCP (Jimmy Liberato) (03/14/90)

horgan@csu.murdoch.oz (John Horgan) writes:

>Kermit send/receive at 9600 baud just doesn't. It usually results in a complete
>hang/up situation or a system crash.  Lower baud rates seem to be OK.

>Has any one else noticed this problem ?

I use VLT daily both in send/receive and in host-server mode and have never
experienced a problem at 9600.  Could you go into more detail?  VLT is very
widely used and I'm sure someone will come up with a suggestion given more info.

--
Jimmy Liberato   ...!amdahl!drivax!liberato

horgan@csu.murdoch.oz (John Horgan) (03/15/90)

horgan@csu.murdoch.oz (John Horgan) writes:

>Kermit send/receive at 9600 baud just dosn't.  It usually results in a complete
>hang/up situation or a system crash.  Lower baud rates seem to be OK.

O.K. - SOLUTION appears to be Version number.

I am runing version 4.036 - in Australia this is regarded as "up to date".
It appears that later versions have fixed the problem I will send out
courier pidgeons to get a later version unless someone wants to mail me one.
I am currently on a BSD4.3 Unix host so a uuencoded binary would be very nice.