[comp.sys.amiga] R/W CD's

Sandy.Elrick@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sandy Elrick) (03/10/90)

  I have a question to put to anyone.  Is there a product out for the
Amiga that allows, at least readable, CD drives?  Are there any
read/writes for the Amiga?  Also, what is the best solution for one to
get a nice Hard Drive for an Amiga 500?
    Sandy Elrick

--
Sandy Elrick - via FidoNet node 1:140/22
UUCP: alberta!dvinci!weyr!70!Sandy.Elrick

ln63wkp@sdcc4.ucsd.edu (Viet Ho) (03/11/90)

In article <581.25F944C8@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Sandy.Elrick@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sandy Elrick) writes:

>  I have a question to put to anyone.  Is there a product out for the
>Amiga that allows, at least readable, CD drives?  Are there any
>read/writes for the Amiga?  Also, what is the best solution for one to

On a related note, how about the best of Amiga music (from games/
like Cinemaware) on CD?    Call it the Amiga soundtrack!   Please
no soundeffects from shoot-em up games!

                                   -Viet
                                    vho@ucsd.edu

schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) (03/14/90)

In article <581.25F944C8@weyr.FIDONET.ORG> Sandy.Elrick@f70.n140.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sandy Elrick) writes:

>  I have a question to put to anyone.  Is there a product out for the
>Amiga that allows, at least readable, CD drives?  Are there any
>read/writes for the Amiga?  Also, what is the best solution for one to
>get a nice Hard Drive for an Amiga 500?
>    Sandy Elrick

Yes. They are called Optical Erasable Drives. There are three that I know
of available, from 540MB to 1 Gibabyte PER CARTRIDGE. In other words, you
can buy the drive for around $4500 and as many cartridges after that for
a few hundred dollars each. The cartridges are as exchangable as floppy
disks. The drives are not made specifically for the amiga. I believe the
ones available are Mac drives. However there are 3 SCSI companies that
are supporting these drives for the Amiga. The only people I know who
are selling these drives is Briwall. You can find an ad for them in just
about any Amiga magazine. I can't remember off hand where they are located
or their phone number. But they do have a technical assistance line which
will answer any questions you would have about these drives. The only
drawback I have heard of, and this is hearsay, is that they are considerably
slower than a hard drive.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

hue@netcom.UUCP (Jonathan Hue) (03/15/90)

In article <12380@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>Yes. They are called Optical Erasable Drives. There are three that I know
>of available, from 540MB to 1 Gibabyte PER CARTRIDGE. In other words, you

To avoid confusion, you should refer to these as magneto-optical drives.
They are not optical drives, and do not use the same technology as
the audio CD or CD-ROM.

>will answer any questions you would have about these drives. The only
>drawback I have heard of, and this is hearsay, is that they are considerably
>slower than a hard drive.

It takes three passes to write data on a magneto-optical drive.  Their access
time is usually quite a bit longer than that of a good hard drive, too.

-Jonathan