[comp.sys.amiga] Talking Clock

rod@venera.isi.edu (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) (03/09/90)

In article <13164@baldrick.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:

>"Every multitasking system needs a talking clock..." -- Andy Finkel

So, does one exist for the Amiga? Usual questions: where can I get it,
PD, shareware, or commercial?

		--Rod

a218@mindlink.UUCP (Charlie Gibbs) (03/11/90)

In article <12295@venera.isi.edu> rod@venera.isi.edu
(Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) writes:

>In article <13164@baldrick.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird
>McIntosh) writes:
>
>>"Every multitasking system needs a talking clock..." -- Andy Finkel
>
>So, does one exist for the Amiga? Usual questions: where can I get it,
>PD, shareware, or commercial?

I know that at least one talking clock exists.  I wrote it.  :-)
It just speaks the time whenever it's executed and goes away again;
sorry, nothing fancy like sticking around and humming Westminster
chimes on the hour.  To be cute, though, it says the time the way
we do, e.g. "It's nearly ten to five."  It's called "qt2" and can
be found on Fish disk #186, including assembly source code.

Charlie_Gibbs@mindlink.UUCP
I'm trying to find the stationery department but they keep moving it.

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/11/90)

>From: rod@venera.isi.edu (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) Message-ID: <12295@venera.isi.edu>
>>In article <13164@baldrick.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:

>>"Every multitasking system needs a talking clock..." -- Andy Finkel

>So, does one exist for the Amiga? Usual questions: where can I get it,
>PD, shareware, or commercial?
>		--Rod

Ya got a Cron program ? There are several available for the Amiga that
would perform this feat rather inexpensively. I set up a crontab that
says the hour every hour AND reminds me to back up my hard drive on the
weekends. Da*n thing even reminds me to eat when I get to caught up in
playing with my Amiga in the wee hours of the morning. :-)

Added note:

Get a 29.95 receptacle timer from radio shack and Cron and you can automate
Usenet polling while you sleep (for those of you who sleep :)

--
 -------------------------------------------------//-------------------------
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,

pnelson@hobbes.uucp (Phil Nelson) (03/14/90)

In article <12295@venera.isi.edu> rod@venera.isi.edu.UUCP (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) writes:
>In article <13164@baldrick.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>
>>"Every multitasking system needs a talking clock..." -- Andy Finkel
>
>So, does one exist for the Amiga? Usual questions: where can I get it,
>PD, shareware, or commercial?
>
>		--Rod

One of the first things I did when Amicron came out was make an alarm clock,
using the built-in say function. Later I added announcements for other times.
a sample line from the CronTab follows:

59 21 * * * say   -f -n -p250 "The time is, twenty-two hundred."

It says the time 1 minute early because I like to have a minute to turn on
the news or whatever. I run out of the RAM disk because the original was
reading the disk all the time, I think the newer version doesn't do that any
more, but I haven't had any reason to move it back.

There have been a couple of crons out, the latest Amicron is on FishDisk 139.
Phil Nelson at (but not speaking for)                  OnTyme:NSC.P/Nelson
BT Tymnet                                               Voice:408-922-7508
UUCP:{pyramid|ames}oliveb!tymix!pnelson              LRV:Component Station
Help defend the Second Amendment - Boycott Time Inc.

andy@cbmvax.commodore.com (Andy Finkel) (03/15/90)

In article <3347@tymix.UUCP> pnelson@hobbes.UUCP (Phil Nelson) writes:
>In article <12295@venera.isi.edu> rod@venera.isi.edu.UUCP (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) writes:
>>In article <13164@baldrick.udel.EDU> C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) writes:
>>
>>>"Every multitasking system needs a talking clock..." -- Andy Finkel
>>
>>So, does one exist for the Amiga? Usual questions: where can I get it,
>>PD, shareware, or commercial?
>>
>>		--Rod
>
>One of the first things I did when Amicron came out was make an alarm clock,
>using the built-in say function. Later I added announcements for other times.
>a sample line from the CronTab follows:

The one I did was based entirely on AmigaDOS script files under 1.3.
It used the Wait function to keep time, and a combination of trhe
eval, the echo, and a magic script trick to change the numbers
1:23 (or whatever) into one twenty three ay em

It appeared in one of the Amiga Transactors.

		andy
--
andy finkel		{uunet|rutgers|amiga}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Not everything worth doing is worth doing well."

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (03/16/90)

In one of my signatures, I write:
>"Every multitasking system needs a talking clock..." -- Andy Finkel

I got this quote from Andy's TransAmi article about 1.3 Shell scripts.  The
article appears in the April 1989 Transactor, VOL 2, ISSUE 1.  In that issue
there is a talking.clock script and some 'sub-scripts' :-) that it calls.
Unfortunately, one short script called 'substr' was left out.  It was included
in another issue's Bloopers section, I think it was VOL 2, ISSUE 3.

Anyway, having typed the scripts in, I'm not sure if they work... but I didn't
test them thoroughly.  You should probably look for those TransAmi issues--
yeah, I know, I know that's like looking for Martians-- or you could ask Andy
to post the 'source' to comp.binaries.amiga or comp.sources.amiga.

Hope this satisfies your curiosity, if not your desire.  By the time this is
read, I hope to be on my Break in Daytona!  :-)  Have fun guys/ladies!

(btw, Bill Watterson has a new Calvin & Hobbes book out called:
                                          "Weirdos from Another Planet!")

1.RAM DISK:> type baird.sig
Baird McIntosh (2nd yr CS/Math major, University of Missouri-Columbia)
c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet
"Ok Dad, for *this* amazing trick I'll need an ordinary American Express Card.
 Now close your eyes..." - Calvin, yet another quote from "YUKON HO!"