[comp.sys.amiga] Amy 68030 vs Mac IIcx

In <CMM.0.88.637218281.cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>, cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Simple question:
>
>Which is (if one indeed is) faster?  By how much?

Judging from running Amax, the Amiga is faster by about 20-30%, due to the CPU
being less busy with the mundane screen stuff, mostly.

>Does AmyOs multitask as well as Multifinder?  Are most Amy programs
>pretty reliable when multi-tasking?

Arrgh! I know your question is in good faith, but I fear you may strike a nerve
here. All the answers you get will indicate that not only the Amiga folks
figure it multitasks better than multifinder, but that it is only by stretching
the definitions to near he breaking point that multifinder can be called
multitasking at all.  Most Amiga programs are pretty reliable when they are
multitasking, which is to say, all the time. Programs need not be specifically
written to multitask properly.

>If I buy an Amy 68030 box, I plan to use it to emulate a Mac most of
>the time.  How good is Amax?  Does it support hard drives yet?
>Thanx in advance...

Can't help you much with that part. You will probably get more than a few
heated replies, so be prepared, and ignore the heat. Stick around and find out
the differences between the Mac and the Amiga. You will be glad you did.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

cmm1@CUNIXA.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU (Christopher M Mauritz) (03/12/90)

Simple question:

Which is (if one indeed is) faster?  By how much?

Does AmyOs multitask as well as Multifinder?  Are most Amy programs
pretty reliable when multi-tasking?

If I buy an Amy 68030 box, I plan to use it to emulate a Mac most of
the time.  How good is Amax?  Does it support hard drives yet?
Thanx in advance...

Oh yeah, reply to me and I'll summarize to the net

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |Where there's a BEER,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |there's a plan.
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |Need I say more?
------------------------------+---------------------------

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (03/15/90)

"Does Amy DOS mulitask better than Multifinder?"
     I hope not since Mulitfinder doesn't multitask.
"Does Amiga Dos mulitask well?"  Depending on what you mean by well, yes.

jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Darc Tangent) (03/16/90)

> Which is (if one indeed is) faster?  By how much?

The Amiga 2500/30 is about 50% faster than the Macintosh IIcx for several
reasons: faster clock speed (25 MHz versus 15.67MHz for the Mac IIcx), faster
RAM (100ns standard versus 120ns for the Mac IIcx), and the Amiga I/O
coprocessors which allow graphics (which are used constantly on a windowing
system) much faster than those of the Macintosh IIcx whose slower CPU must
do everything on its own.

> Does AmyOs multitask as well as Multifinder?  Are most Amy programs
> pretty reliable when multi-tasking?

Multifinder does not provide real multitasking.  The Amiga does.  Amiga programs
except for some games multitask all the time so yes, they are reliable.

> If I buy an Amy 68030 box, I plan to use it to emulate a Mac most of
> the time.  How good is Amax?  Does it support hard drives yet?
> Thanx in advance...

If you want a Macintosh, I would advise you to buy a Macintosh, but if you can
do what you want on an Amiga then get the Amiga and possibly Amax for a few Mac
specific pieces of software you need.  Amax only supports hard drives with the
Trumpcard hard drive interface, but general hard drive support should be
available in the next version of Amax.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[] Darc Tangent    d(arctan(u)) = du/(1+u^2)   jwwalden@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu []
[] "I am made from the dust of the stars, the oceans flow in my veins."       []
[]                                    - RUSH, Presto                          []
[] "Reading legal mush can turn your brain to guacamole!" - Amiga RKM         []
[] "Objective truth is a social disease." - Nietzsche                         []