[comp.sys.amiga] Photon Paint

dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) (02/04/88)

Anybody know anything about Photon Paint?  I've
read a little about it, and all I know is that
it is supposed to be "the next step" after
Deluxe Paint II.

Anybody know what it's capabilities are?  When it'll
be released?  How much it'll cost?

Thanks,

~	"...The dog up and died,			~
~	    he up and died,				~
~	    and after twenty years he still grieves..."	~
~							~
~		Bojangles by Nitty Gritty Dirt Band	~

* David Geary, Boeing Aerospace Co., Seattle, WA 	  *
* (206)773-5249.  --I disclaim everything I've ever said--*

donw@zehntel (Don White) (12/16/89)

     ["But if THIS particular line eater space is at the other end of]
     [the wormhole, then all those disappeared lines will start show-]
     [ing up here.   Oh my!" - dw                                    ]

     I just had occasion to try Photon Paint at a friends house yesterday.
     It is a HAM painting program. At first I was not too impressed. It
     didn't have anywhere near the bells and whistles I'm used to with
     Dpaint. But after experimenting with it for a while, WOW! It allows
     two techniques which make it VERY good.

     The first is the ability to BLEND. This means that when BLEND is
     activated, whatever you draw is blended into the picture already
     showing. Overlaying filled objects is spectacular.

     The second ability is that you can SET a gradation from light to
     dark when you FILL. In the SET requester, make the gradation get
     brightest in the middle both horizontally and vertically and click
     OK. Select the freehand drawing tool twice so that it will make FILLED
     lines. Turn on BLEND. Draw any shape. You will get a nicely sculpted
     3D looking shape that is brightest in the middle and smoothly fades to
     the background color(s). It is reasonably fast and lets you take easy
     advantage of the Amigas 4096 colors!!!

     I am going to buy this!

     Don W.
     Box 271177 Concord, CA. 94527-1177
     zehntel!donw

colyer@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (12/18/89)

Speaking of HAM paint programs... Can anybody out there comment on Digi-Paint
3?  Sorry if this topic has already been beat to death here recently.

Also, has anybody used PageRender 3D?

Thanks in advance....

--
#include <std.disclaimers>
#define JAMES_COLYER  COLYER@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (12/18/89)

In article <36400031@silver>, colyer@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

> Speaking of HAM paint programs... Can anybody out there comment on Digi-Paint
> 3?  Sorry if this topic has already been beat to death here recently.

> #define JAMES_COLYER  COLYER@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

     I have seen Digi-Paint 3 ads that boast:

     Variable Dither- gives you over 100,000 apparent colors on the screen

     Flexible Text Rendering- Anti-aliasing, rainbow, transparent fonts...

     User-Controlled Transparency- allows real-time control of the amount
          of transparency and the location of the light source
          (sounds neat)

     Super Bitmap with Auto-Scrolling- real-time full overscan

     Colorize- add color to balck and white images

     Texture Mapping with anti-aliasing- fast warping and stretching of
          any image

     100% assembly

     Transfer 24- image processing software; gives support of all
          Amiga resolution modes.

Hope this helps.

-Steve M. Suhy

foy@aerospace.aero.org (Richard Foy) (12/22/89)

In article <36400031@silver> colyer@silver.bacs.indiana.edu writes:

>Speaking of HAM paint programs... Can anybody out there comment on Digi-Paint
>3?  Sorry if this topic has already been beat to death here recently.
>
>#include <std.disclaimers>
I have both PhotonPaint2 and DigiPaint3. Ther I some things I like better
on each. I like the user interface better on DigiPaint. Because of this I
tend to use it more than PhotonPaint2. PhotonPaint2 has a built in anim
capability. The ability to set the blend curve to any arbitrary manner
across the blend area is nice in PhotonPaint2. DigiPaint only allows setting
the hot spot and the edge levels and wether edge level applies both
horizontally and vertically or either.

DigiPaint has a colorize mode wherein one can rather and
rather well easily colorize grey tone images.
It also a good range of colors setup. You can select a range of colors
between any two and they use the density settings of the blend tool.
This allows one to fill an area with colors between the two ranges. It
is relatively easy to do do things like sunset with it. I am not sure about
the capability of PhotonPaint2 in these areas. As I said I tend to use
DigPaint more because of the user interface. I think DigiPaint is faster
but I could be wrong on this. DigiPaint I believe is somewhat less
expensive.

You can't go wrong on either program.
     /|\

The above opinions are all my own but they are freely distributable.

foy@aerospace.aero.org  (Richard Foy)

rsingh1@dahlia.waterloo.edu (12/23/89)

In article <63979@aerospace.AERO.ORG> foy@aero.UUCP (Richard Foy) writes:
>I have both PhotonPaint2 and DigiPaint3. Ther I some things I like better

So Do I.

>on each. I like the user interface better on DigiPaint. Because of this I

I find it pretty too.

>tend to use it more than PhotonPaint2. PhotonPaint2 has a built in anim
>capability. The ability to set the blend curve to any arbitrary manner
>across the blend area is nice in PhotonPaint2. DigiPaint only allows setting
>the hot spot and the edge levels and wether edge level applies both
>horizontally and vertically or either.

True.  That is a short-coming on Digipaint's part.

>DigiPaint has a colorize mode wherein one can rather and
>rather well easily colorize grey tone images.

That feature alone is almost worth the price of the package.

>It also a good range of colors setup. You can select a range of colors
>between any two and they use the density settings of the blend tool.
>This allows one to fill an area with colors between the two ranges. It
>is relatively easy to do do things like sunset with it. I am not sure about
>the capability of PhotonPaint2 in these areas. As I said I tend to use
>DigPaint more because of the user interface. I think DigiPaint is faster
>but I could be wrong on this. DigiPaint I believe is somewhat less
>expensive.

I have several problems with the Digipaint interface (even though it's
pretty :-).  The main one is that the menu bar MUST always sit at the
bottom of the display.  This causes terrible problems when trying to
'USE' the bottom of the display (or scrolling on superbitmapps).

Digipaint III gives you great easy access to pick colours, but it is VERY
slow when adjusting your 16 colour palette, and the route you have to
go through (through the menu) really hurts.  The range paint thing is
about the most 'useful' thing in the program.  It is dificult to create
ranges of this sort in photon paint II, and they are not dithered.

However, It seems that the dithering Digipaint III does (in it's random mode)
is just not as fine as it was in Digipaint I.  When it comes to the smoothness
of a gradient fill, photon paint can't really come close to digipaint (any
version).  However, Photon paint II has MANY strengths that Digipaint III
doesn't have (yet).  A summary:

Stencils
EASY font positioning (Works with Colour fonts -- Digipaint 3 doesn't!)
Grids
Shadows
Excellent use of background/foreground colours.
It never mysteriously 'changes' your painting colour.
It provides a 'palette' where you can 'stick' interesting paints.
The ham brushes can be blended in perfectly (without need to go into
 a 'Texture Map' mode.
Photon Paint II offers 3D contour mapping, light source control, and several
 objects you can 'wrap' pictures on to.  It virtualy never crashes, and most
of the key commands are the same as in Dpaint.
What I like the best is that I can easily navigate around the 'Menu'
(which provides much more control on screen than Digipaint 3 does), and that
I can quickly wipe the menu out, and bring it back (or collapse it), AND
move it around.
Digipaint 3 IS faster though, in terms of rendering.  And it has features
I suppose I couldn't live without.  But pound for pound, Photon Paint II
still delivers more.  (Draw in the overscan, instead of 'scrolling' the image
around for example).  It even animates (to a limited degree).  Overall a great
program.  Both are.  But for your first HAM paint program, I would suggest
you go with Photon Paint II.  It's pretty quick, and works well.  Digipaint 3,
right now atleast, offers LOTS of features, but it totally lacks several
really important features (the brush manipulation/rendering thing is terrible
(you can only flip brushes 90 degrees, and the results depend on your
screen height/width).  Also, DiP3 offers no flood fills, and positioning
text is really tough.  I also hate that when I change resolutions, it
forgets the path of some requesters (like the fonts: requester).  I've
got plenty enough memory for it to keep track of a few bytes.

Give Digipaint III one more revision, then grab it.  Jamie Purdon (author)
knows his stuff, and you can be guaranteed that the next version will be
HOT stuff (Digipaint IV? or will they just go wild and have: Digipaint X :-)

One last thing:  Digipaint 3 should support real 'background' selection
, so you can draw with the right mouse button. (every other package lets
 you! ?!?!?!).  And it should let you have a palette, whereby you can
put interesting colours (possibly dithered colours?).

Right now, I would rate Digipaint 3 a 7.5, and Photon Paint II an 8.5.
Both are WORTH getting.  Digipaint 3's arexx interface is wonderful,
and the ease of it's superbitmaps are teriffic.  The quality of rendering,
and VERSATILITY of it's plethora of modes (some hidden), give it awesom
rendering power.  The new link between Digipaint 3 and Digiview 4.0 make
it the most versatile and POWERFUL system around.  The things you can
achieve with it boggle the mind.

>You can't go wrong on either program.

I'm with you here too.  Either is great.  Well worth the $$.

>The above opinions are all my own but they are freely distributable.

Ditto for mine.  I have no affiliation with either companies.

>foy@aerospace.aero.org  (Richard Foy)

               /Paul Anton Sop (Esquire?).  rsingh1@dahila.waterloo.edu/
              /Graphic Designer 4 Spaghetti Western Words and Images  /
             /100 Kinzie Ave, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada, N2A 2J5    /
            /(519) 578-8525/742-0372 (if seriously really desparate)/

I've been informed that, as of today, OXXI does NOT carry MicroIllusions'
Photon Paint. I have no idea whether they will carry it in the future. If you
want first hand details, please call the individual companies (MicroIllusions
and OXXI, I mean).

-- Marco
"Xerox sues somebody for copying?" -- David Letterman