[comp.sys.amiga] More Hard Drive Woes

In <9003160104.AA05012@astro.psu.edu>, antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) writes:
>Hi!  Part three in the continuing saga of my hard drive crash.  The only
>suggestion I've received is  to 1) remove the "mount = 1" line from the
>mountlist, then 2) mount the partitions one by one and 3) use disksalv
>to recover the contents so I can 4) reformat the sucker.
>Well, it crashes when I try to disksalv it.  ANYTHING that accesses any
>of the partitions causes a guru!  The kind of guru Gomf3.0 is helpless
>against, in fact... the messiest I've ever seen.  It shifts the entire
>workbench screen down 1/3 of a screen so it can put a black region up
>top, then it displays the normal guru message.
>So HELPHELPHELP!  I really need to get this system back to working order
>('cause I'm trying to model a stellar atmosphere by next week!)  ANY
>ideas are welcome, email whatever gonzo suggestion I can try, up to and
>including black magic, but I gotta get my hard drive online!
>                                    sandy the really depressed

Try the NODOS option with DiskSalv. It should inhibit the filesystem from
looking at it.

Also, if you have Sectorama or DEdit, they seem to work in these cases, if
that's the first thing you run.

Are you at Berkely?  If so, I'll be in your area next week, staying at the
Woodfin Suites in Newark, so if you still aren't up and running, give me a call
one evening and we'll do recovery, or email me your phone number and I'll call.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

antunes@ASTRO.PSU.EDU (Alex Antunes) (03/16/90)

[...]
Sandy Antunes                                antunes@astro.psu.edu
"The Hermit of Waupelani"               CBA:  Center for Bad Astrophysics