[comp.sys.amiga] CBM's GUI for UNIX

dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) (03/09/90)

	The most recent issue of UNIX REVIEW has a short paragraph announcing
	that AT&T and Sun MicroSystems have released a list of hardware and
	software vendors who have committed to shipping products incorporating
	the Open Look Graphical Interface.  And guess who made the list?

		Commodore of course

	So I presume (never 'assume', always 'presume') that this means that
	CBM will not only have SVR4 for AMIX, but will also use AT&T GUI
	for their windowed user interface.

--
/*
**              Don Curtis    ...boulder!tcr!dcpc!dc

In <0556.AA0556@dcpc>, dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) writes:
>	The most recent issue of UNIX REVIEW has a short paragraph announcing
>	that AT&T and Sun MicroSystems have released a list of hardware and
>	software vendors who have committed to shipping products incorporating
>	the Open Look Graphical Interface.  And guess who made the list?
>
>		Commodore of course
>
>	So I presume (never 'assume', always 'presume') that this means that
>	CBM will not only have SVR4 for AMIX, but will also use AT&T GUI
>	for their windowed user interface.

Could be a bogus presumption at that. The blurb I got from a trade show here
says that it comes with X, Open Look, and CBM's own windowing system. It was,
of course, a preliminary document, and subject to change. It also mentioned
that since each screen (not slidable, but rotatable) was a separate logon, you
could have all four UIs running, the last being a straight tty thingy.

-larry

--
Entomology bugs me.

ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) (03/14/90)

In article <0556.AA0556@dcpc> dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) writes:
>	So I presume (never 'assume', always 'presume') that this means that
>	CBM will not only have SVR4 for AMIX, but will also use AT&T GUI
>	for their windowed user interface.

Yes.

Pax, Keith
--
ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag

ammrk@swbatl.sbc.com (Mike R. Kraml) (03/15/90)

In article <302@amix.commodore.com> ag@amix.commodore.com (Keith Gabryelski) writes:
>In article <0556.AA0556@dcpc> dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) writes:
>>	So I presume (never 'assume', always 'presume') that this means that
>>	CBM will not only have SVR4 for AMIX, but will also use AT&T GUI
>>	for their windowed user interface.
>
>Yes.
>
>Pax, Keith
>--
>ag@amix.commodore.com        Keith Gabryelski          ...!cbmvax!amix!ag
All this stuff sounds go WONDERFULL!!!!  My only question is, is it going to
cost me an arm and a leg??? I.E. > $500, > $1000, >$2000 ... Please, is there
any way you can just give me a hint as to the approximate cost??

Thanks, any info would be a GREAT big help.  Mike...

  Mike Kraml - Manager-Separations MECHANIZATION - SWBT - (The Techies)
  UUCP: {uunet, bellcore, texbell}...!swbatl!slims!ammrk

C503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu (Baird McIntosh) (03/16/90)

On the subject of Commodore Amix, I think that they are going to drop the name
'Amix' and just call it Unix.  Apparently, since it is a full implementation
of Unix System Vr4 they can do this.  Other PC Unix implementations are not
full implementations...for example AUX (Apple Unix) for the Mac and AIX (IBM's
Unix).  I don't know what these Unix implementations lack, but apparently they
aren't totally Unix; forgive me, I do not use Unix and have had no exposure to
it.  Anyway, the dropping of 'Amix' as the name was posted here I believe by
someone working on Commodore's Unix.  (formerly Amix)

If this is all wrong, someone kindly correct me.

1.RAM DISK:> type baird.sig
Baird McIntosh (2nd yr CS/Math major, University of Missouri-Columbia)
c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet
"Ok Dad, for *this* amazing trick I'll need an ordinary American Express Card.
 Now close your eyes..." - Calvin, yet another quote from "YUKON HO!"

tron1@tronsbox.UUCP (HIM) (03/16/90)

>In article <0556.AA0556@dcpc> dc@dcpc.UUCP (Don Curtis) writes:
>>	So I presume (never 'assume', always 'presume') that this means that
>>	CBM will not only have SVR4 for AMIX, but will also use AT&T GUI
>>	for their windowed user interface.

IF / when we ever see it! Any info from anyone out there that is >NOT< a
rumor ?? I'd but whatever hardware I needed to run AMIX >IF< I could get my
hands on it!

Johnny Carson Reveals: "E.T.'s Replaced My Brain with Burritos -- And Nobody
Noticed".

Everything I say is Copr.  1990, except the stuff I stole from someone else
and the stuff I don't want responsibility for.

Kenneth J. Jamieson: Xanadu Enterprises Inc. "Professional Amiga Software"
      UUCP: tron1@tronsbox.UUCP  BEST PATH ---> uunet!tronsbox!tron1
      Sysop, Romantic Encounters BBS - (201)759-8450 / (201)759-8568