From: webber@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Webber)
Newsgroups: alt.cyberpunk
Subject: Power Glove + misc
Date: 3 Sep 89 22:18:58 GMT

On the cover of the September 1989 Video Games & Computer Entertainment
magazine, there is a picture of a Power Glove, the $79.95 consumer version
of the dataglove technology.  According to the Ad on page 33, it is
due out this Fall as a Mattel/Nintendo product for Nintendo game systems.

Pages 18 thru 20 carry a short article on the product.  The first game to
use it will be something called Bad Street Brawler.  A 3-d handball game
called Glove Ball and a puzzle game called Manipulator are also in the
works.

The glove is made from a flexible plastic Spandex-like fabric.  Using
ultrasonics and an external sensor mounted on your TV, it senses position
30 times a second.  Flex sensors in the thumb and middle three fingers
respond to finger bending.  At a distance of 5 feet, glove position changes
of 0.25 inches can be detected.  Four finger positions are distinguished.

The Power Glove itself contains a microprocessor that can translate
Glove movements into commands the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System)
console understands.  A series of buttons on the arm of the glove
allow one to select among built-in translations as well as other
control functions.  Apparently game cartridges can download
translations into the glove (something that the new glove oriented
games are expected to use -- built-in translations are aimed at
compatibility with already existant games).

Now, if I could just figure out where to get one of these with an
rs232 port and a programming manual, things could get interesting :-)

--- BOB (webber@athos.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!athos.rutgers.edu!webber)

Elsewhere in the mag it is mentioned:  Nintendo's are 8-bit systems
although there is a 16 bit version in the works (currently Sega's Genesis
and NEC's TurboGrafx-16 are apparently the only 16 bit processor based
systems on the American market) [page 9].  As of May 12th (1989) the
Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian has had a new gallery called
Beyond the Limits dedicated to flight simulators [page 14].  Ad's for
an earlier hand motion sensor called Broderbund's U-Force and foot
position sensor called LJN's Roll-N-Rocker [page 45].

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (03/03/90)

I need the info on interfacing the Power Glove to the Amiga and/or the IBM
- both software and hardware requirements. I missed them when they were
discussed. Please respond if you have these - I need them today!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks * 10000000000000000.
Peter Kovach

Internet: kovach@src.honeywell.com

powers@orca.wbst128.xerox.com (Mike Powers (temp)) (03/04/90)

In speaking with Jaron Lanier of VPL (who developed the Power Glove) a while
back I was under the impression that the Glove was dependent on the Nintendo
box to be usable. Some reliance on the electonics of the box for recognition of
motions I think. I guess they (Mattel and Nintendo) disn't want people to
scoop up the glove for other machines.

If I'm out in left field here I'd be more than happy to recieve info on the
interface. (Image what fun the glove would be on the Amiga....3-D manipultions,
multimodal multimedia, FLYING!!!)

Mike Powers

P.S. Back in August I went to a VPL open house and had a most excellent time.
Using the Data Glove (the high performance parent of the Power Glove), a two
screen color LCD head display, two SGI IRISs (one for each eye :), and a MIDI
synth I entered the Alternate Reality. You have to experience it to believe it.
The 3-D worlds in which one can manipulate objects, fly, stick your head below
the floor :), were nothing short of amazing. If you get the
chance at a SIGGRAPH show or happen to run across the Reality on Wheels van
it's a must do.

[The first desktop metaphor that has you sitting at a desk again!!!!]

ron@vicorp.uu.net (Ron Peterson) (03/14/90)

In article <61002@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:

>I need the info on interfacing the Power Glove to the Amiga and/or the IBM
>- both software and hardware requirements. I missed them when they were
>discussed. Please respond if you have these - I need them today!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
>Thanks * 10000000000000000.
>Peter Kovach
>
>Internet: kovach@src.honeywell.com

   ME TOO!

gdunlap@csuchico.edu (Gregory L. Dunlap) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar14.004553.9633@vicorp.uu.net> ron@sunspark.UUCP (Ron Peterson) writes:
>In article <61002@srcsip.UUCP> kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:
>>
>>I need the info on interfacing the Power Glove to the Amiga and/or the IBM
>>- both software and hardware requirements. I missed them when they were
>>discussed. Please respond if you have these - I need them today!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>
>>Thanks * 10000000000000000.
>>Peter Kovach
>>
>>Internet: kovach@src.honeywell.com
>
>   ME TOO!

Okay, sorry about wasting this bandwidth but I just thought I'd mention how
much I HATE articles that consist of a quote of someone else's article, followed
by a "Me too!".  Yech!

                                               - Greg Dunlap
                                               - CSUChico

evgabb@sdrc.UUCP (Rob Gabbard) (03/16/90)

In article <1990Mar15.001142.9407@csuchico.edu>, gdunlap@csuchico.edu (Gregory L. Dunlap) writes:
> >   ME TOO!
>
> Okay, sorry about wasting this bandwidth but I just thought I'd mention how
> much I HATE articles that consist of a quote of someone else's article, followed
> by a "Me too!".  Yech!

Me too :-)

--