[comp.sys.amiga] Mouse problem

jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) (04/04/89)

Help,
      my B2000 mouse is having an intermittant problem.  The horizontal
movement intermittently fails.  I've tried cleaning the rollers, but this
had no effect (basically, the rollers were pretty clean.  I use a mousepad
all the time.)  Does anyone out there have any ideas on how to fix the
mouse?  It is very annoying to have to wave the mouse around in order to
get the pointer where I want it to go.  The vertical motion seems to work
perfectly.  I've heard that new mice cost about $110, so a fix would be
much better that having to buy a new one.

                               Thanks,

--

                                         Jim Pritchett

                                         UUCP:  killer!gtmvax!dms3b1!caleb!jdp

jasmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jeff Smith) (04/07/89)

In article <0545.AA0545@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>Help,
>      my B2000 mouse is having an intermittant problem.  The horizontal
>movement intermittently fails.  I've tried cleaning the rollers, but this

I have the exact same problem with my A500 mouse. Moves up and down fine,
but every now and then the lateral freezes up. A bit more detail that I've
noticed: it never freezes up while the mouse is actually moving, only after
its been stationary for a while. Jerking it sharply sideways always clears it
up, but it IS an annoying problem.

Any help solving this one would be much appreciated.

Smitty
If I could think of a .signature I liked, my life would take on new meaning.
....watmath!watcgl!jasmith

dennison@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Theodore Dennison) (04/08/89)

In article <9082@watcgl.waterloo.edu> jasmith@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Jeff Smith) writes:
>In article <0545.AA0545@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>>Help,
>>      my B2000 mouse is having an intermittant problem.  The horizontal
>>movement intermittently fails.  I've tried cleaning the rollers, but this
>
>I have the exact same problem with my A500 mouse. Moves up and down fine,
>but every now and then the lateral freezes up. A bit more detail that I've
>noticed: it never freezes up while the mouse is actually moving, only after
>its been stationary for a while. Jerking it sharply sideways always clears it
>up, but it IS an annoying problem.

 Well, just to round out the merry group, my A1000 mouse does the same thing.
 Has since I got it. My current pet theory is that it is not the mouse but
 the mouse surface that is the problem, but this is just a theory.

T.E.D.

beo@htsa.uucp (beo) (04/10/89)

Howdy,

Is the mouse problem a design problem ?

I don't own a Amiga myself (yet) but a friend does. This friend has his A500
for about a year and expierienced quite suddenly the loss of horizontal
movement. Frustrated by a hardly usable Amiga  he wend to his dealer (You
try playing marble madness without horizontal movement). This dealer
told him that he wasn't the first one. After getting a new mouse we opened
the 'old' mouse but could not find a reason for malfunction.

But to get to the point, the appearing fault almost has to be a design fault,
because everybody with a problem has the same (horizontal) problem, and
a dealer told there were more mice with their feet up.

Is there someone at Commodore who knows more or who can examine this ?

P.S. this is an international problem too, because this is posted from
Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

sno@sno-1.UUCP (tephen N. Opal) (04/11/89)

>In article <0545.AA0545@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>>Help,
>>      my B2000 mouse is having an intermittant problem.  The horizontal
>>movement intermittently fails.  I've tried cleaning the rollers, but this

Well now.  Why is everyone so interested in this problem?  I seem to have
found the perfect fix...

Open the mouse, unscrewing the 2 little philips head screws.  Unscrew the
black rollerball panel from the base.  Take a pair of needle nose pliers
and carefully pull back the shaft of each main roller pad (This may take a
little patience).  Take out the little teflon (plastic?) roller and
completely remove any material on it.  (I think mine had a little traction
tape, or something.)

I bought some athletic fabric tape (the kind used to wrap wrists and
ankles) and cut off a 1/8" x 1" piece.  Take each plastic roller and wrap a
single layer of the tape around the cylinder.  **DO NOT OVERLAP** Carefully
trip off any excess so that the 2 ends match perfectly.  If you cut off too
much, you can stretch the tape a little to make the ends meet.

Re-assemble your little gem and you will have a brand new mouse!!!

[Wow!  After all this time... I have something constructive to add to this
group!]

Enjoy.

        From: {sharkey!rjf001,clip!m-net}!sno-1!sno
        Stephen N. Opal   (313) 572-1610

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (04/12/89)

In article <833@htsa.uucp> beo@htsa.UUCP (beo) writes:
>Howdy,
>
>Is the mouse problem a design problem ?
>
>I don't own a Amiga myself (yet) but a friend does. This friend has his A500
>for about a year and expierienced quite suddenly the loss of horizontal
>movement. Frustrated by a hardly usable Amiga  he wend to his dealer (You
>try playing marble madness without horizontal movement). This dealer
>told him that he wasn't the first one. After getting a new mouse we opened
>the 'old' mouse but could not find a reason for malfunction.
>
>But to get to the point, the appearing fault almost has to be a design fault,
>because everybody with a problem has the same (horizontal) problem, and
>a dealer told there were more mice with their feet up.
>
>Is there someone at Commodore who knows more or who can examine this ?
>
>P.S. this is an international problem too, because this is posted from
>Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

Those pretty black bands on the rollers that look like they're there to
assist traction are not. They are accumulated dirt. Clean off the crud and the
mouse will work as good as new. The rollers should all be nice and shiney and
all one color. That crud has remarkably poor traction against the ball.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

poirier@giants.dg.com (Charles Poirier) (04/14/89)

In article <0545.AA0545@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>      my B2000 mouse is having an intermittant problem.  The horizontal
>movement intermittently fails.  I've tried cleaning the rollers, but this
>had no effect (basically, the rollers were pretty clean.  I use a mousepad
>all the time.)

I don't know what you mean by "pretty clean", but using a mousepad is not
necessarily proof against hand grease.  Some people see the band of grime
on the rollers and think it's a built-in friction enhancer.  Not so, they
should be shiny all the way across.

If this isn't your problem, I've also seen mice develop an intermittent
break within the cable at a point near its entry to the mouse where it
gets flexed a lot.  A good repairman could fix this, making the cable
a little shorter.

Speaking of mousepads, try one of those $.99 dime-store textured vinyl
placemats.  They're larger and thinner than the $15 official mousepads.
Use the textured side for your mouse, or flip it over and the smooth
underside makes a good surface for a suction-cup joystick.

	Cheers,
	Charles Poirier

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Lee) (04/16/89)

In article <0545.AA0545@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>      my B2000 mouse is having an intermittant problem.  The horizontal
>movement intermittently fails.  I've tried cleaning the rollers, but this
>had no effect (basically, the rollers were pretty clean.  I use a mousepad
>all the time.)

I was having intermittent problems with my ~1 year-old B2000 mouse, except
that the vertical movement would occassionally fail.  I used a mouse pad
all the time, and I kept the rollers relentlessly clean (I *hate* bumpy
mice).  As it turns outs, the problem wasn't with a broken wire or broken
electronics, but with the mouse ball.  It seems that a mouse pad prevents
the ball from wearing down, and a thin layer of gunk had accumulated on
the rubber and impeded contact between the ball and the plastic rollers.
A quick cleaning with a detergent counter-top cleaner removed the gunk
and restored a nice shining "grippy" mouse ball and the problems went away.

Raining CATS & DOGS?  Join the RATS: Remote Amiga Teleconferencing System.
ARPAnet: johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU		John Lee
UUCP:    ...!ucbvax!cory!johnhlee

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (04/19/89)

In article <0545.AA0545@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>Help,
>      my B2000 mouse is having an intermittant problem.  The horizontal
>movement intermittently fails.

>                                        The vertical motion seems to work
>perfectly.  I've heard that new mice cost about $110, so a fix would be
>much better that having to buy a new one.
>
>                                         Jim Pritchett

Don't know if this is your problem or not, but I recently repaired my
B2000 because the mouse would move right bug not left.  (Real difficult
working st the extreme right side of the screen all the time!)

First, and easiest to check, it was not the mouse.  (Take your mouse to
a dealer or friend that has another 2000, and see if it works there.)

I got schematics and tore the chassis apart and swapped chips and every
thing.  I was afraid Denise was bad, but I swapped it with the one
from my 1000, and both continued to work as before.

It turned out that the lead from a bypass capacitor on the mouse input
line had been cut a little long and had worn through the plastic
insulation sheet that separates the underside of the mother board from the
lower shield.  It was thus shorting out the left direction mouse pulses.
I clipped it short, put everything back together and it worked fine.

That's probably not your problem, but it may save somebody some
anguish someday.

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (04/21/89)

In article <0545.AA0545@caleb> jdp@caleb.UUCP (Jim Pritchett) writes:
>      my B2000 mouse is having an intermittant problem.  The horizontal
>movement intermittently fails.  I've tried cleaning the rollers, but this
>had no effect (basically, the rollers were pretty clean.  I use a mousepad
>all the time.)

I don't have that problem with the mice that I use. No rollers to clean
at all. But then again my mice have no balls and need to look at themselves
in a mirror to work. ;-)
--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (BeO de PeO) (03/15/90)

Howdy,
  A friend of mine has an A2000, an when playing several
    games the mouse (or joystick) keeps going to the right.
  By moving the mouse a little down, this stops. This
    works (*works*, not great but *works) for a game with
    joystick-only control, but it really s*cks with games
    which need also mouse input. This doesn't happen on
    my A500.
  Anyone who had the same problem, or has any suggestions
    whether it is due to the hardware (A2000 || Mouse) or
    the software?
			Thanks for at least reading this,
			greetings:	Jan van Veen,
					beo@maestro.htsa.aha.nl

danb20@pro-graphics.cts.com (Dan Bachmann) (03/17/90)

If it's a mechanical mouse, like the My-T Mouse, sometimes a contact pin will
get bent or move from where it should be. Simply take it apart and bend all
the pins to touch the metal lines, not the metal disc, and it should work OK
then. If it's an original Commodore mouse, if all the holes are clean in the
inside wheels, the only thing I can guess is something is wrong
electronically.
Joysticks can easily get worn out too (like Atari & Commodore models). I
suggest the Wico Boss, which will not ware out and if it does it takes 5
seconds to take it apart and bend the metal tabs back.
(I've had my Wico Boss' for about 4 years now and no problem, an Atari or
Commodore stick lasts about 2 or 3 months the way my brother and his friends
come over and use my Amiga)

 ProLine: danb20@pro-graphics
    UUCP: ...crash!pro-graphics!danb20
ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!danb20@nosc.mil