erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/17/90)

From: trez@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Tom Rezachek) Message-ID: <2167@orbit.cts.com>

>A few moths ago, something burnt out one of my 8520's in my A2000. When
>I replaced the chip, the original problem appeared to be fixed, but now
>I have a new problem. Whenever I try to open or move an icon on the
>Workbench, the computer hangs. I can get open or move operation to complete
>if I remove and reinsert a disk. I think it may be a problem with the way
>it is handling BOBs because other programs that use BOBs also hang the
>same way. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem ?

Hmmm.. Had this very same problem when my printer zocked my 8520. The
problem seems to be a bunch of 8520's out there that aren't up to the
speed that the A500's and A2000's use them. They'll work on A1000's
aparantly. The chip part that you have to use is 8520A-1 and MUST have
the MOS Logo on it to be sure. I learned this the hard (read expensive)
way. :-) Might just be time for an 8520 daughterboard buffer hack !

I built a little interface in my printer cable with some cheap 7407
Open collector buffers (Uni-directional) that has probably saved me
a bunch on 8520's. If you want I could probably draw up a description
of the circuit and mail it to you. It is (Unfortunately) very specific
to my printers data and handshake lines but could probably be made
more general.

>                                                 Thanks.

                     Your welcome

--