[comp.sys.amiga] A500 Crashing Big Time

871579l@aucs.uucp (Todd Lowe) (03/17/90)

Just recently I had a particularly strange and scaring crash with myA500.
I was working and all of a sudden the creen went blank the power light flashed
the hard drive stopped and my modem went crazy with the send ad recieve signals.
When I rebooted my hard drive failed to respond.  I powered down and waited a
while. Still no response when I tried to bring it back up (not even a kickstart
screen).   My case (yes the plastic A500 case) was also fairly hot to touch
at this pointso I got worried.  I am removed the case and the RF/heat shield
and started touching chips to see where the heat was coming from.  It tuned out
to be my new super Agnus, and it was *HOT*.  I removed it and put my old
one back in to try and check the hard drive, with a fair amount of luck. I still
had problems mounting all partitions, but was able to back up the drive before
shutting down.

I let the system rest for a day or two, and then placed my new Agnus back in
powered up and lo it worked. Amazing!  I've been working now for about a
week with the case open and the chip has not got hot again.  I would like
to know what caused this. I had been running with PALboot ( giving me a PAL
screen on an NTSC system) and a few people said it may have been messing the
chip up.  I thought the new Agnus was both PAL and NTSC in the same chip
(ie. only one version supporting both), but haven't used PAL since just in case.

Could someone with a little knowledge please let me know if this has happened
to anyone else, and if it was due to PALboot or what.

This is posted in comp.sys.amiga instead of hardware partly as a warning
about PALboot if that was the cause and partly because the flow in comp.sys
.amiga.hardware at this site is small enough I wonder how many people are
actually getting it.  Anyway if anyone has anything to add to this subject
or can give me some help then please do.  It is a scary thing when having a
system CRASH & BURN almost becomes literal.

Todd Lowe
871579l@aucs

johnf@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (John Flanagan) (03/18/90)

In article <1990Mar17.051413.7321@aucs.uucp> 871579l@aucs.UUCP (Todd Lowe) writes:
>Just recently I had a particularly strange and scaring crash with myA500.
[overheating Agnus story deleted...]
>I had been running with PALboot ( giving me a PAL
>screen on an NTSC system) and a few people said it may have been messing the
>chip up.  I thought the new Agnus was both PAL and NTSC in the same chip
>(ie. only one version supporting both), but haven't used PAL since just in case.
>
>Could someone with a little knowledge please let me know if this has happened
>to anyone else, and if it was due to PALboot or what.

Well, I don't know what could have been wrong with your Agnus, but I use
PALboot all the time, and have had no such problem.

John

John Flanagan				Space Sciences Laboratory
johnf@ssl.berkeley.edu			University of California
(...!ucbvax!soc1.ssl!johnf)		Berkeley, CA 94720
Manners Maketh Man.			(415) 643-6308